Coolant leak - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Coolant leak

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Coolant leak

Hey guys i just started having problems with my coolant the other day. I pulled up into my driveway and noticed steam coming out of the hood. I popped the hood and found coolant all over the passenger side of the frame and about three quarters of the way up the engine. At first i thought it was coolant coming out of the overflow, but that was bone dry. Now every time i drive it for more than five minutes it starts leaking coolant everywhere. I was told the thermostat might be stuck open, but i just read in a few different places that the 4.3's intake gasket sucks. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Coolant leak

Spray the motor off and get it dry. Then pop the hood and start it and see where its coming from. It going to be hard for us to tell you where its leaking.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #3

I went out and checked the engine for wet spots and then i started it up and let it run for about 15 minutes. All around the thermostat is dry, but i did notice that the edges around the front and left side of the intake manifold were wetter than when i first looked at it. The left side also had a bunch of crap along the edge of the manifold. After i turned it off it made a hissing sound for about 30 seconds if that helps any.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

The corners of the LIM are what leaked first, on my '96 Sonoma. It never got so bad that it smoked under the hood, just dripped coolant. So if you've got a lower intake manifold gasket leak, you've got a pretty bad one that's probably been there awhile.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

I think the smoke is coming from the coolant hitting the hot engine block and the fact that its below freezing out just makes the steam show.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

I just drove it around and got the engine temp to about 150 then pulled it into the driveway and popped the hood. Most of the steam is coming from that passenger front corner of the manifold right by the alternator. There's also alot of steam coming from underneath the alternator by the exhaust manifold, but i think thats just coolant dripping down onto the hot exhaust. I then crawled under the truck and looked for any other leaks. The engine and oil pan were steaming a little bit, but not nearly as much as in that front corner of the intake. looks like the intake gasket has gone bad. Any suggested brands for this repair? Advance auto has a couple Felpro kits, but one is $34 and the other is $80.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #7

I used Felpro on both my '96 Sonoma and my '04 Blazer. Pretty much top-shelf quality. Here's a good article on it, if you've never done it before:

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv..._99_Jimmy.html
Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by aa21830
I used Felpro on both my '96 Sonoma and my '04 Blazer. Pretty much top-shelf quality. Here's a good article on it, if you've never done it before:

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv..._99_Jimmy.html
Awesome thanks! My brother insists on doing this at home so it will probably be on hold until next weekend. Ill print this out just in case we get stuck.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
goin broke but n style

also check your oil. if its milky than its deffiently the intake gskts.

thats how i got my 99 blaz so cheap. the orig owner said that 2 shoes told him he needed a motor. he didn't want to go thru that hassle.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
jax4x4.com

Quote: Originally Posted by S15vortecpwr
also check your oil. if its milky than its deffiently the intake gskts.

thats how i got my 99 blaz so cheap. the orig owner said that 2 shoes told him he needed a motor. he didn't want to go thru that hassle.
LOL, I think if my shoes told me I need a new motor I'd by new shoes... but we know what you mean

to the OP yes check the oil after letting it run a few min.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #11

Yea the shoes part confused me too lol. Tomorrow i'll check the oil for milkyness.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
100000 Internet points!

def go with fel pro. sounds like what happened when my LIM went too. i never did one before and followed the how to on here. worked perfectly and saved money. while i was at it i did a new thermosatat cuz it was due and flushed out my cooling system of dex cool and filled with fresh green goodness. i took pics under the hood so i had a reference as to where things went, it helped me. good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Check your ground

I'd check around your water pump. That's where my leak was coming from. The idiots that owned the truck before me never took off the old gasket before they put a new one on top of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.