cleaning spectre filter..... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

cleaning spectre filter.....

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #1

cleaning spectre filter.....

i see they carry a diff kind of recharge kit for diff kinds of filters... can i use the k&n one on my spectre? or do i have to use the spectre kit? mine is red and looks super dirty... you can see the red on a few blades of the filter is that just the oil or the actual filter thats red? also how much oil do you use i hear some ppl putting to much on theres and messing there maf sensor up, i just replaced mine and dont wana do that!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

User is: OffLine
Re: cleaning spectre filter.....

Quote: Originally Posted by lwrd93
i see they carry a diff kind of recharge kit for diff kinds of filters... can i use the k&n one on my spectre? or do i have to use the spectre kit? mine is red and looks super dirty... you can see the red on a few blades of the filter is that just the oil or the actual filter thats red? also how much oil do you use i hear some ppl putting to much on theres and messing there maf sensor up, i just replaced mine and dont wana do that!
you can use any kit like the K&N kit, most places the K&N kit is cheaper then the spectre kit is.

make sure you let it air dry completely before oil'n it

then LIGHTLY oil it, dont soak it.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #3

mine looks really dirty.. can you scrub it with a toothbrush or something? i just dont see the cleaner getting it all off, mayb ill spray it twice then let it dry and oil it. just mist the oil on all over it? like 2 pumps one close to bottom and one close to top then turn a little and 2 more until im all the way around, like 8 pumps?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #4

I soak my filters in a sink full of hot soapy (dish soap) water for an hour or so. I've also used a toothbrush to gently scrub. Rinse well then blow out with my air compressor and let it air dry over-night.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
terrible. take a lap.

makes me want to clean mine out...except mines not dirty...lol

wonder what adding some orange hand cleaner to the mix would do, that some hot water and a bucket?? lol
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by Compstall
I soak my filters in a sink full of hot soapy (dish soap) water for an hour or so. I've also used a toothbrush to gently scrub. Rinse well then blow out with my air compressor and let it air dry over-night.
so you dont use a recharge kit on it at all?

Last edited by lwrd93; 05-18-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
Stroker Ace

I just soak mine down with that Blue Wolf stuff you can get from Wal-Mart or Purple Power; then let it set for about 20 min. , & spray with a water hose, works better than the cleaner in the recharge kit in IMO (you can just see the black pour out of it), but the oil in the kit is good for a lite coat after it drys.

I do think I'm gonna try Compstall's method sometime when I run out of cleaner.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #8

with a recharge kit you dont even spray it with a water hose, i dont get that how is it sopose to clean it good just by spraying stuff on it not using any pressure?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
Stroker Ace

with a recharge kit you dont even spray it with a water hose, i dont get that how is it sopose to clean it good just by spraying stuff on it not using any pressure?
yeah that don't work, I tried that ("reading the directions") the first time I cleaned my old K&N on my TA & it, well........................I guess it works if you want your filter to be wet oily & dirty...

you pretty much have to use some type of way to rinse it out.....water hose, bath tub, sink, car wash-just be careful with the pressure on that one.

besides I think that was the older kits (they barely come with directions), all the newer K&N recharge kits tell you to use low pressure rinse.

Last edited by frtaylor9; 05-19-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #10

they tell you to rinse them with water? i thought you just used the cleaner and oil in the kit. also my filter was red new now its brown, does the oil make it red or is the filter really just that dirty?? i was gona get a recharge kit tomo but i think i may just put it in the tub and use the jet setting to wash it out then air dry it. then all i need is some oil?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #11
terrible. take a lap.

how long have you had your air filter? im not sure how it could get brown unless maybe you started driving your truck with the filter that wasn't dried enough or something..?
or just that spectre bullshit filter just doesn't mesh well with the K&N recharge kit, no clue on my end...
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #12

it was on the truck when i got it, not sure what happened im gona try and soak it tomo in hot water and then get some kn oil.. i dont think the recharge kit is gona clean this one lol
Old 05-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #13
terrible. take a lap.

might be worth it just to buy a new filter...lol even though autozone wants an arm and a leg for one when on ebay you can buy the "cold air intake" kit for the same price.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #14

ya if i cant get it lookin better tomo ill get a new one..
Old 05-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by joyride
even though autozone wants an arm and a leg for one when on ebay you can buy the "cold air intake" kit for the same price.
really? how much is it at "your" autozone?

and autozone has a mail in rebate right now for $10.oo off of this price, hell a cheap stp filter cost more then these do at that price.

heres a PDF link for a rebate form for you to print if you need one.

all you need is a receipt and the barcode off the box.

http://www.powerflowracing.com/rebate.pdf

Last edited by NotaDime; 05-19-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
terrible. take a lap.

haha notadime...didn't realize you were back...how awesome, i love your posts...lol im the former "vicodin" i couldnt remember my pw and email i used for the acct i made yrs ago so i made a new one not that long ago...

and for the air filter i think he is thinking of, not just the stock replacement, they want 40 bucks for it at my autozone...im not sure what the stock replacement ones are...i didnt realize spectre made a stock replacement until you posted that link either though
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Stroker Ace

Quote: Originally Posted by joyride
haha notadime...didn't realize you were back...how awesome, i love your posts...lol im the former "vicodin" i couldnt remember my pw and email i used for the acct i made yrs ago so i made a new one not that long ago...

and for the air filter i think he is thinking of, not just the stock replacement, they want 40 bucks for it at my autozone...im not sure what the stock replacement ones are...i didnt realize spectre made a stock replacement until you posted that link either though

joyride....I know everyone has there own vice, but I gotta ask man...why the blue engine bro? not that it looks bad...its just different.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
terrible. take a lap.

i didn't feel like searching around for the right color paint, i just wanted something different than the "baby blue" my machinist painted it...unfortunately its "ford blue" which i should get slapped for, but it's better than what it previously was...lol...
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #19

mine is not a stock drop in filter.. its a cold air intake, the cone filter. should i soak it in some soapy water and use a hair dryer to dry it? i dont have any oil though. will it hurt to wash it and dry it and not oil it right away?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
A work in progress...

Just spray the cleaner on the filter and let it soak. Rinse with a garden hose, and let it air dry. Don't use a hair dryer, that will shrink the cotton gauze filter media. Don't use compressed air to blow out the filter, that will blow holes in the cotton gauze media. Re-oil the filter and let it air dry again. Make sure there's no wet spots on the filter before you reinstall it. I've had a k&n drop in filter in my Grand Prix for the last 8 years, I've definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

Last edited by jasond; 05-19-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #21

I quit buying those, I only use the oil. I used my methods on my Camaro the longest with it's long cone-style filter for almost 10 years. Never a problem.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #22

so just soak it in a sink with hot water... and let it air dry over night? will cleaning it make it red again or is that the oil that makes it red? can i put i back on tomo after its dry without any oil?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
A work in progress...

On the k&n filters, the oil gives it the red color. The cleaning solution removes the oil, leaving the filter the natural white cotton color. I just spray it with the cleaning solution, let it soak a bit, and rinse it out with a garden hose. If there's a lot of stuff on the filter, I'll tap it on the ground before rinsing it out. Let it air dry. I then spray it with the oil, and let it air dry again. Then reinstall. I keep a cheap paper filter to use while I have the k&n out of the car. Do not install the filter without oil, the oil is what traps the dirt. The filter will not do it's job with no oil.

Last edited by jasond; 05-19-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by jasond
On the k&n filters, the oil gives it the red color. The cleaning solution removes the oil, leaving the filter the natural white cotton color. I just spray it with the cleaning solution, let it soak a bit, and rinse it out with a garden hose. If there's a lot of stuff on the filter, I'll tap it on the ground before rinsing it out. Let it air dry. I then spray it with the oil, and let it air dry again. Then reinstall. I keep a cheap paper filter to use while I have the k&n out of the car. Do not install the filter without oil, the oil is what traps the dirt. The filter will not do it's job with no oil.
True 'dat. Just before installing, I also take a paper towel and blot off any excess oil from the outside of the filter.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #25
Stroker Ace

so just soak it in a sink with hot water... and let it air dry over night? will cleaning it make it red again or is that the oil that makes it red? can i put i back on tomo after its dry without any oil?

spectre filters don't use oil; the cotton gaze are red & they come that way. clean your filter (spary it with some of cleaner I mentioned earlier, let it set and rinse using the shower head or water hose & let it dry out it will still be red-put it back on the truck, DONE!!.....spectre does not require oiling. it does makes sense, oiling would trap more dirt but that's not the case with your filter, (i dunno maybe spectre sucks.)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #26
A work in progress...

The spectre filters do use oil. I sell them on a daily basis. They use the "Accucharge" oiling system.

Last edited by jasond; 05-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #27
Stroker Ace

damn... then why do them bastards come dry. & there whole slogan is "no greasy oils" thanks for the tip though bro.........learn something everyday on this site.

lwrd93 just go buy you a recharge kit read the directions & forget about it.

if the filters in really bad shape let it soak in hot soapy water for a few hours then go threw the cleaning process (directions supplied in the kit)...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
A work in progress...

The filters come pre oiled ready to go when new. If the filter is wet or oily feeling, it's over oiled. The cotton should absorb the oil, and feel dry to the touch.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #29

well its my daily driver and i already got it soaking in the tub with warm water and dish soap. and that water got nasty! but its not red as its sopose to. closest part store is about 7 miles, it will be alright to let it air dry infront of a box fan tonight. then put it on and drive to get some cleaner and oil in the morning?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #30
A work in progress...

That should be fine, as long as the oil was not removed from the filter. You may want to grab a cheap paper filter to get you going while the spectre filter is out. The cleaner in the kit will remove the oil and dirt from the filter, re-oiling it will restore the red color.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #31

got it cleaned and oiled!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #32
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by jasond
The spectre filters do use oil. I sell them on a daily basis. They use the "Accucharge" oiling system.
at my store, the K&N kit is like $2.oo cheaper then the spectre one....
Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #33

i paid 12 bucks for the k&n kit..
Old 05-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #34
terrible. take a lap.

got it cleaned and oiled!
lets see what your finished product looks like. lol
Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #35

i forgot to take pics! but nice and red!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.