Chrome vortec valve covers? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Chrome vortec valve covers?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Age: 29
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 98
Location: San Antonio, Tx
User is: OffLine
Chrome vortec valve covers?

Anyone know where i can get some chrome valve covers for a 93 4.3 vortec? All the places i have called, only have valve covers for the 4.3 non-vortec heads. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,118
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

your 1993 "vortec" engine IS a non-vortec engine. The only thing I can imagine those other parts places are telling you is they have valvecovers for the OLD V6 with the bolts on the outside edge of the valvecover. Either way, unless the valvecovers on your truck are plastic, then they should look like these....



heres a set I found on eGay, pretty cheap also....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33627

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 11-06-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Age: 29
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 98
Location: San Antonio, Tx
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

so basically, all i need are center bolt valve covers for a v6?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Built for stangs
 
slowNlow1's Avatar
 
Age: 33
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 144
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

yeah they just need to have 3 holes in the middle of the valve cover... later
Old 11-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Age: 29
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 98
Location: San Antonio, Tx
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #6
NOT AN ADMIN!!
 
SS SDIME's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,230
Location: Atlantic County NJ
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

what valve covers fit a 1998?
Old 11-07-2004, 02:10 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,898
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

I kinda like these..Well sorta...
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4922712+302163
Old 11-07-2004, 02:51 AM   #8
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,118
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by SS SDIME
what valve covers fit a 1998?
the stock plastic ones

actually, I believe the chrome ones above will work on the 96+ style heads, but I would personally keep the plastic ones. I know some SyTy owners have put the newer plastic covers on their stock SyTy heads, as well as L35's, so I have to imagine the process can be reversed.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:05 AM   #9
it looks stock.. kinda..
 
Teeleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 638
Location: Houston, TX
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Yeah, they fit. I have the chrome ones on my vortec headed 89 motor. I had to grind the center supports to clear my roller rocker valvetrain and RTV the gasket to the valve cover so it would stay in place while I installed it, but other than that, they work well. The little lip on the cover wasn't tall enough to hang on to the gasket so you can install it.

Teeleton
Old 11-07-2004, 05:06 AM   #10
Road Race/Auto X S10
 
ZR1 S10's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,828
Location: South Milwaukee, WI.
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

So I could buy those edelbrock covers and install them no probs?
Old 11-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
Blown ex ***
 
Jess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,354
Location: sw sub shitcago
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

i have the edelbrock aluminum covers on my 97. they fit the head just fine. its the external interference you have to worry about.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
Road Race/Auto X S10
 
ZR1 S10's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,828
Location: South Milwaukee, WI.
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by Jess
i have the edelbrock aluminum covers on my 97. they fit the head just fine. its the external interference you have to worry about.
Sweet, I think I'll be find since my a/c is gone. Plus I like to use grinders

I wonder if the roller rockers will clear without the spacers using the edelbrock covers?!?!

Last edited by ZR1 S10; 11-07-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,898
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by ZR1 S10
Sweet, I think I'll be find since my a/c is gone. Plus I like to use grinders

I wonder if the roller rockers will clear without the spacers using the edelbrock covers?!?!
I guess you could always call Edelbrock. I was sorta wondering that too.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #14
Blown ex ***
 
Jess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,354
Location: sw sub shitcago
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

i think they will fit with rollers, but i don't "know". what covers do you have now ? spacers ? ac is not in the way, it was the bracket. but i cut my bracket in half, so that wasn't an issue for me. see my link in sig, but i don't think i have the covers in the link pics.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:32 PM   #15
Road Race/Auto X S10
 
ZR1 S10's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,828
Location: South Milwaukee, WI.
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by Jess
i think they will fit with rollers, but i don't "know". what covers do you have now ? spacers ? ac is not in the way, it was the bracket. but i cut my bracket in half, so that wasn't an issue for me. see my link in sig, but i don't think i have the covers in the link pics.
I have the stock plastic vortec covers with like 3/4 or 1" machperformance spacers. I think I'm gonna cut everything off of my a/c bracket as I can! Just save the hole for the idler pulley and mounting places!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:30 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,898
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

The one thing I read on the Edie's is they're not baffled. I don't know if that makes any difference to you or not.

Last edited by bg's; 11-08-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:44 AM   #17
Road Race/Auto X S10
 
ZR1 S10's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,828
Location: South Milwaukee, WI.
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

What is baffled? You mean like little walls in the valve covers? What does this do, what will happen without?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,898
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Well I'm not sure, but I'll guess. I noticed there are to walls around the area where the
left side PCV line or hose goes into the valve cover from the intake. I suppose this is
where the fresh o2 comes in to help dilute the spendt gases and acids from
combustion which sit in the crankcase.

With the baffle I think this o2 is directed to a certain area into the head downward.
The fresh o2 helps get the spendt and partially spendt gases moving while allowing
some fresh o2 into the cranckcase. I don't know if the right side where the PC Valve
is located has a baffle, but GM wouldn't want oil that's doing it's thing to be sucked up
into the PC Valve and sent for reburn.It gets its vacuum source from manifold vacuum
to help.

I guess the way to find out is to ask thoses who run the covers if they've had any
problem with excessive oil consumption. Maybe Jess knows..

Last edited by bg's; 11-08-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:13 AM   #19
it looks stock.. kinda..
 
Teeleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 638
Location: Houston, TX
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Not quite. The PCV is to extract gases from the crankcase, not to add fresh air. Remember, it's hooked up to vacuum. No way anything is going into the valve covers. It's an exit only. The reason it's hooked up to the throttle body is so that these gases get burnt again instead of just vented back into the air (yet another emissions device). Without this ventalation, the blow-by past the rings starts to build pressure below the pistons, which forces oil into the combustion chamber, and keeps the rings from sealing properly (which causes more blow-by, which forces oil into the combustion chamber, etc..). This is why your motor starts to run like crap if your PCV is faulty.

If your PCV isn't baffled, you can start extracting oil through the PCV as well, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of keeping oil out of the intake charge.

Teeleton

Last edited by Teeleton; 11-09-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
93 4dr starting sfbd
 
dimebags's Avatar
 
Age: 33
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 714
Location: Roselawn IN
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

So are those ebay valve covers any good? I've been wanting cheap chrome valve covers to add some shine to my engine. I'm just worried they are shit quality and the chrome will all flake off. Anyone got a set?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #21
Road Race/Auto X S10
 
ZR1 S10's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,828
Location: South Milwaukee, WI.
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by Teeleton
Not quite. The PCV is to extract gases from the crankcase, not to add fresh air. Remember, it's hooked up to vacuum. No way anything is going into the valve covers. It's an exit only. The reason it's hooked up to the throttle body is so that these gases get burnt again instead of just vented back into the air (yet another emissions device). Without this ventalation, the blow-by past the rings starts to build pressure below the pistons, which forces oil into the combustion chamber, and keeps the rings from sealing properly (which causes more blow-by, which forces oil into the combustion chamber, etc..). This is why your motor starts to run like crap if your PCV is faulty.

If your PCV isn't baffled, you can start extracting oil through the PCV as well, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of keeping oil out of the intake charge.

Teeleton
So what does all of that mean? If I want to run the edelbrock covers I have to adapt the stock pcv into them? If so drilling a hole is not a problem!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,898
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by ZR1 S10
So what does all of that mean? If I want to run the edelbrock covers I have to adapt the stock pcv into them? If so drilling a hole is not a problem!
Here's what I'm refering to. When I mention the one line that goes into the left side
valve cover from either the spacer between the TBI and air cleaner housing, or the same
line that goes into the cover from the throttle body intake hose on a cpi or port
injection, you can see from the diagram fresh o2 does go down into the crankcase
to help dilute the spendt gases and acid vapors which are then pulled up to the PC
Valve via vacuum created by the combustion or if not running, the strokes of the
crankshaft/piston configuration. When this vacuum is created it will draw the
fumes/vapors up to the valve which will vent these gases/vapors at a certain engine
speed. Without the baffles, as Teeleton points out lube oil could/might also be included
with these waste gases/vapors. Ck out the pic Now the line or hose I refer to is
on the right valve of this pic, with the PVC on the left cover. As far as modding the
Edlebrock covers, I think I'd call and ask em at Edie what the story is on running
non baffled covers. All this might be for nothing, but you can see how the closed
PVC system works, and that's what's on our rides unless modified, and how good
lube oil could be caught up

Old 11-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #23
Vortec 350 s10
 
91sdime's Avatar
 
Age: 34
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 840
Location: dirty south, NC
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Actually, that line isnt to allow fresh o2 into the crankcase..its to allow a free flow for the pcv system to do its job....if it wasnt there, it would create a larger vacuum in the crankcase and suck in to much oil...
Old 11-09-2004, 09:15 PM   #24
Road Race/Auto X S10
 
ZR1 S10's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,828
Location: South Milwaukee, WI.
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Wow now I get it. So the big hose going to the right valve cover from the intake bonnet feeds air, and the pcv on the left side sucks air.

Well either way we didnt reconnected the one on the right cover after the intake manifold swap because I dont have the intake bonnet anymore. But I did reconnect the pcv.

So what happens with forced induction guys when they boost? Does the pcv close?

I honestly think I'm going to say **** it and get those little minature air cleaners for each side. Hell guys have been running carb'd cars like that for years and never have problems!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:26 PM   #25
JDB
CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
 
Age: 36
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 400
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by ZR1 S10

So what happens with forced induction guys when they boost? Does the pcv close?
Yep, as long as they’re not all gummed up and old.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:51 PM   #26
Vortec 350 s10
 
91sdime's Avatar
 
Age: 34
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 840
Location: dirty south, NC
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Most guys who run a forced induction setup also run a catch can as part of the pcv system. This is to help catch the oil as it is blown out of the valvecover, and reduce the amount of oil the engine sucks up.

Also..another reason the pcv is vented to the atmosphere is prevent a huge vacuum when the piston[s] are on the upward stroke.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #27
93 4dr starting sfbd
 
dimebags's Avatar
 
Age: 33
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 714
Location: Roselawn IN
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by slurfius
So are those ebay valve covers any good? I've been wanting cheap chrome valve covers to add some shine to my engine. I'm just worried they are shit quality and the chrome will all flake off. Anyone got a set?
These seal ok? Anyone know if these are the same ones that jegs has listed on there site?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:01 PM   #28
it looks stock.. kinda..
 
Teeleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 638
Location: Houston, TX
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

The ebay ones are kinda difficult to get the gasket to stay on while you're installing them. I had to RTV the gasket to the valve cover before installing it, so it would stay in place.

Teeleton
Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #29
Registered User
 
Age: 36
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Location:
User is: OffLine
Question Re: Vortec valve covers?

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer Xtreme, 4.3l, vin W, with roller rockers. I was wondering if the Edelbrock valve covers Item # 4252, would fit my motor? The have a PCV vent on both and an oil fill on one. They are center hole bolt ons, which all the vortec heads are, but I don't know if I'll have the clearence for the roller rockers and high lift valves, to go along with 500 lift cam I'm installing soon. If any one could give advice I would greatly appriciate it. From what I've heard they can be modified to fit, but will they fit without modifying? And if not what modifications might I have to do to them?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #30
Registered User
 
57 Handyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 731
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Check this set from Summit Racing...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4252/

There is a narrative at the bottom which describes short and tall versions of these valve covers.

My main concern is the absence of baffles on each side.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #31
Registered User
 
Benoitmusic's Avatar
 
Age: 61
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 262
Location: London
User is: OffLine
Re: Vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by Low Riding Mini's
I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer Xtreme, 4.3l, vin W, with roller rockers. I was wondering if the Edelbrock valve covers Item # 4252, would fit my motor? The have a PCV vent on both and an oil fill on one. They are center hole bolt ons, which all the vortec heads are, but I don't know if I'll have the clearence for the roller rockers and high lift valves, to go along with 500 lift cam I'm installing soon. If any one could give advice I would greatly appriciate it. From what I've heard they can be modified to fit, but will they fit without modifying? And if not what modifications might I have to do to them?
Did you ever figure out if the Edelbrock valve covers will fit on a 2001 4.3?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
Registered User
 
Tweek218's Avatar

 
Age: 31
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Location: Southeast MI
User is: OffLine
Re: Vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by Benoitmusic
Did you ever figure out if the Edelbrock valve covers will fit on a 2001 4.3?
Hey old thread!

I have the same question though. I have a 2003 4.3 and I am doing the cam/roller rocker install soon. Will the 4252 covers fit my year engine since I am reading I'll need a taller cover?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 796
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

The Edelbrock 4252 will fit the V6 heads that use center-bolt valve covers but they are stock height (2-1/2"). They are for dress up only and do not add any additional clearance.

You can stop looking for taller center-bolt valve covers for a Chevrolet 4.3L V6.

Here they are:
The only valve covers that are taller for center-bolt 4.3L V6 are those made by AUSSIE SPEED and Kevko. The Au$$ie $peed valve covers are very expensive due to the United States added protectionist import taxes . The Kevko (VC215-5) valve covers are actually made from their SBC Vortec 5.7L V8 (VC215) center-bolt valve covers. They have been cut and re-welded to fit 4.3L V6 center-bolt heads. They have no PCV provision but they have a breather stack in each valve cover. They will not clear the A.C. compressor. The Kevko valve covers are reasonably priced at $107 on e-bay.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #34
Registered User
 
Tweek218's Avatar

 
Age: 31
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Location: Southeast MI
User is: OffLine
Re: Chrome vortec valve covers?

Quote: Originally Posted by SixPack
The Edelbrock 4252 will fit the V6 heads that use center-bolt valve covers but they are stock height (2-1/2"). They are for dress up only and do not add any additional clearance.

You can stop looking for taller center-bolt valve covers for a Chevrolet 4.3L V6.

Here they are:
The only valve covers that are taller for center-bolt 4.3L V6 are those made by AUSSIE SPEED and Kevko. The Au$$ie $peed valve covers are very expensive due to the United States added protectionist import taxes . The Kevko (VC215-5) valve covers are actually made from their SBC Vortec 5.7L V8 (VC215) center-bolt valve covers. They have been cut and re-welded to fit 4.3L V6 center-bolt heads. They have no PCV provision but they have a breather stack in each valve cover. They will not clear the A.C. compressor. The Kevko valve covers are reasonably priced at $107 on e-bay.
Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. I would have wasted time and money ordering the Edelbrock. Holy crap the Aussiespeed covers are $325. I'll have to work out something with the A.C. compressor and get the Kevko ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.