can u put a non vortec tbi intake on a 4.3 block with vortec heads and it run? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

can u put a non vortec tbi intake on a 4.3 block with vortec heads and it run?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #1

Unhappy can u put a non vortec tbi intake on a 4.3 block with vortec heads and it run?

I have two 94 model s10 pick ups, one has a vin w motor and the other has a vin z motor, the truck with the vin z motor is high miles and on its last leg, but it is a 4x4 and i was wondering if i could switch the intakes and put the vortec motor in the 4x4. The truck with the vortec motor is wrecked and needs fuel lines and a nut kit, so i thought if its possible it would be easier to use the good motor out of the wrecked truck, that's 2wd, and keep my 4x4 going, I've already got a rebuilt transmission in the 4x4 also
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #2

Re: can u put a non vortec tbi intake on a 4.3 block with vortec heads and it run?

Also, if it is possible to do this, am I better off doing it this way or should I grt the nut kit and fix the cpi intake and make my 4x4 fuel injected, and what extra work does each way entail, I'm pretty new to all this so any tips, advice, concearns would be appreciated
Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #3

User is: OffLine
Re: can u put a non vortec tbi intake on a 4.3 block with vortec heads and it run?

TBI is fuel injected
When putting an earlier intake on a motor with a balance shaft you need to be sure the balance shaft clears the bottom of the intake. I normally put the intake on without the gaskets and try to rotate the motor by hand to see if it clears. Most of the time you can grind enough away on the bottom of the intake to get it to clear or you can get a later intake from a balanceshaft motor. If both your motors are 94's the TBI intake should clear, but you still need to check it, if the TBI motor didn't have a balanceshaft
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
goin broke but n style

Quote: Originally Posted by poconojoe
TBI is fuel injected
When putting an earlier intake on a motor with a balance shaft you need to be sure the balance shaft clears the bottom of the intake. I normally put the intake on without the gaskets and try to rotate the motor by hand to see if it clears. Most of the time you can grind enough away on the bottom of the intake to get it to clear or you can get a later intake from a balanceshaft motor. If both your motors are 94's the TBI intake should clear, but you still need to check it, if the TBI motor didn't have a balanceshaft

I have put a TBI intake on a CPI engine. I DID have to shave the bottom of the TBI intake to clear the balance shaft. I used the TBI intake gaskets. truck was driven aobut 200 miles on it ran good. i scrapped the truck due to tooooo much cancer (rust).
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

Ok so it can be done, that is good to know, thanks, now my next question is, performance wise, should I just put the tbi intake on the cpi engine and call it good, or should I go ahead and fix the cpi intake and switch the whole motor, and what extra work does that mean, I figure wire harness and computer but Idk
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
goin broke but n style

you wont gain much by going CPI with all the headache you will run into. just use the TBI intake on the CPI eng. the cpi gets its increase hp/tq from better heads and a slightly bigger cam and you get both with your cpi engine.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #7

So basically I'm getting the best of both worlds by putting the tbi intake on the cpi engine, all the better parts minus the headache of the cpi
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #8

u could just take the balance shaft gear off and not have to grind at all
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by lil red s-10
u could just take the balance shaft gear off and not have to grind at all
Well if it wont fit I could do that, but what problems are going to arise in my motor without the balance shaft?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by jwiningar7313
Well if it wont fit I could do that, but what problems are going to arise in my motor without the balance shaft?
None really, you may not even notice the slight increase in vibes with the balance shaft disconnected.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #11

several here have done it wish i would have
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #12

I have a 92 S10 Blazer with 4.3 Vortec Intake that I am trying to put into a 1995 S10 Blazer with TBI / spyder type intake. Can I swap intakes with little or no drama.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #13

Correction to last post. I have a 1995 S10 Blazer with a 4.3 vortec intake that I want to put into a 1998 S10 Blazer with TBI intake manifold. The motor is blown in 98 but the motor in the 95 Blazer runs great. Does anybody have any suggestions. Thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

The 1985 - 1995 TBI and CPI 12-bolt intake manifolds will not fit 1996 - 2002 8-bolt SCPI heads.

1985-1995 TBI, LB4 engine
1990-1992 TBI, LU2 engine (Astro and Safari vans)
1992-1995 CPI, L35 engine
1996-2002 SCPI, L35 and LF6 engines
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Gaaoooooo

Depending on what is "blown" in that 98 4.3 you could swap over the cylinder heads/injection setup to the 95 short block.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #16

How would this work on a 94 tbi with a balance shaft swapping over to a 94 vortec? Would I really just have to shave down the intake or would I have to swap the heads. The salvage yard sent me a "tbi" which is actually a vortech and its the only one I can find in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.