Best Year for 4.3? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Best Year for 4.3?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #1

Best Year for 4.3?

Hi, I'm new to this forum!

I know you chevy guys might not appreciate VOLVO, but I have been interested in swaping a v8 into my 1989 780 for quite some time now - almost a year... i have been doing a lot of research on after market parts, transmissions, etc.. well here I am and its been almost a year and I've decided to change my focal point for this swap completely (mainly because its never been done before). I want to put a 4.3L into the bay instead of a 350ci. I have a few questions for all yall. First one being: I hear the 1991 4.3L block is a very good block, especially for forced air induction applications (Exhaust charged Turbine induction in this case). Second question, If I had a chevy s10 with a v8, and i decided to go with a v6, how would one bridge the gap between the existing front motor mount for the v8 so the v6 block could mount to the v8 mounting point without any bogus frame work? this company, jagsthatrun.com have a v8 conversion kit for the 350 block. I was thinking i could mount the v6 with the v8 conversion kit using that prefab mount extension arm (so to speak)..... thanks in advance everybody
Old 06-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Best Year for 4.3?

Quote:
Second question, If I had a chevy s10 with a v8, and i decided to go with a v6
Let me get this straight. You wan to remove a v8 and replace it with a v6 in an S-10. Just use v6 motor mounts. You can buy them at any parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto). No need to modify v8 mounts.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #3

im trying to adapt a v6(4.3L) to a v8(small block 350) conversion kit for a volvo.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #4

any idea as to what year block is best for turbo charging a 4.3?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #5

The first thing I would try is to get the v6 block mount to bolt to the v8 frame mount.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #6

Look at who makes a direct bolt on boost kit and look at what year models it fits. This would answer what year to buy. I know there is no aftermarket turbo or supercharger for the 94-95 cpi models so that rules those out all together. Air/Fuel control is gonna determine everything. If you are not gonna use the computer and carb it, I would use a balance shaft motor to limit vibrations (96+) and use cylinder heads from 2001+. 96+ are all the same on cylinder heads, but the 2001 has a sort of roller rocker.
The mounts should work fine. I believe between the v6 and v8 the motors are the same from the back of the engine to the motor mount. The extra space from the v8 would go from the motor mounts forward toward the radiator. I am not 100% on this, someone would need to confirm it.
Post more info for more help. Mainly if you are gonna move the computer over to the volvo or carb it. That one question will help significantly. It will effect the distributor, the transmission, and other things.

Last edited by graniteguy; 06-11-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by volvo780
Hi, I'm new to this forum!

I know you chevy guys might not appreciate VOLVO, but I have been interested in swaping a v8 into my 1989 780 for quite some time now - almost a year... i have been doing a lot of research on after market parts, transmissions, etc.. well here I am and its been almost a year and I've decided to change my focal point for this swap completely (mainly because its never been done before). I want to put a 4.3L into the bay instead of a 350ci. I have a few questions for all yall. First one being: I hear the 1991 4.3L block is a very good block, especially for forced air induction applications (Exhaust charged Turbine induction in this case). Second question, If I had a chevy s10 with a v8, and i decided to go with a v6, how would one bridge the gap between the existing front motor mount for the v8 so the v6 block could mount to the v8 mounting point without any bogus frame work? this company, jagsthatrun.com have a v8 conversion kit for the 350 block. I was thinking i could mount the v6 with the v8 conversion kit using that prefab mount extension arm (so to speak)..... thanks in advance everybody
I'm going to be the devil's advocate on this. I'd use the 91 block, because it doesn't have a balance shaft and its what chevy's hi- po book recommends for performance. You don't need another piece of garbage rotating around in your motor robbing horse power. If you can't modify the mount to move the motor back, just mount the 4.3 on the v8 mounts, it will only have the motor further front in the engine bay, requiring a longer drive shaft and modification of the tranny mount. But if you're truly looking for a swap with forced induction, I'd just swap in a motor, that comes from the factory, either turbo or supercharged and make my own mounts. There are better choices, than a 4.3 for a swap, if you're going used forced induction. You can find motors, that are physically smaller with more base horse power, that are even lighter.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #8

well i just picked up a 2001 vortec v6 block. kinda cool. it has everything on it. As far as ignition and fuel injection goes, i plan to use a distributorless ignition system and megasquirt fuel injection system. I plan to use the t-56 transmission. I read about people who have used MSD ignition systems and fuel controllers and well.. im really turned off by their reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.