best throttle body cleaner - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

best throttle body cleaner

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #1

best throttle body cleaner

what do you guys suggest for a throttle body cleaner to use, i think my throttle body is clogged or something and i want to clean it out and i heard a spray form is the best to use. what do you guys suggest? thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2004, 11:10 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: best throttle body cleaner

Quote: Originally Posted by Blazer92
what do you guys suggest for a throttle body cleaner to use, i think my throttle body is clogged or something and i want to clean it out and i heard a spray form is the best to use. what do you guys suggest? thanks in advance
I used GUMOUT that was actually Carb and Choke Cleaner, and got my TB to look like this after 65k miles with no problems. There's only that little band of carbon buildup left, the whole bottom was black. I have a CPI, not sure what kind you have
Old 05-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK

you do not have a cpi, you have a 1998, the last cpi was made in 1995. The 96+ 4.3 engines are MSFI
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 AM   #4

oh thanks for the update! What exactly is the MSFI system?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
LT1 Powered

hmmm MSFI sounds made up
there is MPFI, which you dont have thats multi-point fuel injection
you have CSFI which is central-sequential fuel injection
Old 05-15-2004, 01:47 AM   #6

i think i have a tbi its a 92 4.3 non-high output
Old 05-15-2004, 03:45 AM   #7

Pretty easy to find out what you have..Look at the VIN on left side of your dash. Look for
either a "Z" or a "W" in the VIN. I think it's the 10th figure in the VIN. If it's a "Z ", then you
have Throttle Body Injection with one injector in the right and left throttle bores. Looks
like a electric carb. If it's a "W", then you have Central Port Injection with the Throttle
Body Assy acting as the incoming air delivery assy to the cylinders. The injecter/reg assy
is housed inside the intake manifold.

Whatever cleaner you use, make sure IT'S O2 SENSOR SAFE. It will be posted on the can
if it is.

Last edited by bg's; 05-15-2004 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #8
back in the game again

Quote: Originally Posted by Blazer92
i think i have a tbi its a 92 4.3 non-high output
If it looks like a carb then it's TBI. And, what exactly do you want to clean on the TBI?
Old 05-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #9

To get back to the subject. I've herd people talk about sea foam. They say its good. You can put it in your crank case, gas tank and your TB. Its supposed to clean a bunch of stuff. I dont know much about how to put it in the TB. You can put it through the brake booster line. Can anyone tell me how to do this and can you put sea foam striaght into your TB while its running?
Old 05-15-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
LS2OMFG

Not into your TB, that would suck- take your brake booster line (the line going from the motor to the master cylinder) off the master cylinder and your truck will idle weird and get a funnel and pour roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the can in there till it stalls. Let it sit and wait for a while- put the rest in the crankcase (oil) or gas tank. If you put in the crankcase then change your oil ~500 miles later. Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
loco hombre

You can dump it on the TB but it will start crazy hard.

Just have to comment on this as I'm out at the country residence today and got around to doing this for the first time this year. Used Seafoam Deep Kreep in the throttle body and the liquid in the brake booster hose. Smoked real good But yeah you can add it to your gas for sure... you can add some to your oil, but no more than 500 miles before the oil change.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:55 PM   #12

I use B12 Chemtool for basic external cleaning. Spray on aerosol.
For the intake and combuston chamber it is Sea Foam.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:13 AM   #13

The booster line is best because its pulls it in to the intake getting more of the seafoam over the entire area needing cleaned.Seafoam has been around a long time.I used it years ago on my boat and it worked wonders.So I started using it in my vehicles even before they labeled it for auto use.It is one of if not the best upper intake cleaners made that ive used.It does a great job breaking up oil sludge and varnish in the crank case.Add it in to your oil a couple of hundred miles before a oil change and you can actually see some of the thicker sludge clumps poor out.Great stuff I would highly recommend it.

Last edited by firstgens10; 05-16-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:34 AM   #14
back in the game again

I would recommend, like I said in my PM seafoam Deep Creep....seafoam in a spray can. That way, if you want to take it off and clean it you can use it for that, or you can just spray a good bit of it in your TB throats and fuel system and let it do its work. You could also use regular seafoam the same way, only the spray can would be easier if you awanna take the TB off..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.