Best Carb for a 4.3 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Best Carb for a 4.3

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #1

Best Carb for a 4.3

I picked up a 4.3 that does not have a carb on the cast iron intake. What Carb came on these engines, I think it is an 86 so I am not sure if there was any computer control for choke or timing. The distributor on it has a vacumm advance but I am not sure if that was stock. Any info appreciated.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
WICKED 6 RACING

User is: Online
Re: Best Carb for a 4.3

It was a 650 quadrajunk. Personally if you plan on keeping it carbed chuck the intake for the edelbrock one and if your gonna leave it completely stock get like a holley 500 DP or a 600 or 650 vacuum secondary.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by disturbing V6
It was a 650 quadrajunk. Personally if you plan on keeping it carbed chuck the intake for the edelbrock one and if your gonna leave it completely stock get like a holley 500 DP or a 600 or 650 vacuum secondary.
for clarification they came with a rochester or hitachi carbs on them they never came from factory with a quadra rochesters are the common one for the 4.3 hitachis were much more common on the 4 cylinders the rochester aint bad it sucks in the winter hard to start pore pumping capability and Edelbrocks just arent that responsive on a 4.3 go with the holley will give you great response and good power terrible gas mileage though want good gas and half decent power than go with the quadrajet or just simply put the rochester back on it should be able to find one at the junkyard and a rebuild kit is available at the auto parts store for about 20 to 30 bucks pm me if you need any other info
Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
WICKED 6 RACING

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by mehame17
for clarification they came with a rochester or hitachi carbs on them they never came from factory with a quadra rochesters are the common one for the 4.3 hitachis were much more common on the 4 cylinders the rochester aint bad it sucks in the winter hard to start pore pumping capability and Edelbrocks just arent that responsive on a 4.3 go with the holley will give you great response and good power terrible gas mileage though want good gas and half decent power than go with the quadrajet or just simply put the rochester back on it should be able to find one at the junkyard and a rebuild kit is available at the auto parts store for about 20 to 30 bucks pm me if you need any other info
Actually my 86 came with a quarda junk. Or a spreadbore what ever you want to call it. Never intended to say who made it.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine

Quote: Originally Posted by disturbing V6
There weren't any Q-jet 650's, only 750's and some 800's. A small Holley should do the trick.

Last edited by SH-60B; 02-18-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.