Best Brand 4.3 Intake Gaskets????? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Best Brand 4.3 Intake Gaskets?????

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #1

Question Best Brand 4.3 Intake Gaskets?????

Any info out there re: better than OEM intake gaskets for the infamous 4.3 coolent leak problem.
Hate to replace junk with junk.
Would like to know if there is a premium gasket out there.
Have a 2001 S-10 4.3 2WD.
Local shops want $500-650 for parts and labor. Don't know what gaskets they use.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Searching no more

User is: OffLine
Re: Best Brand 4.3 Intake Gaskets?????

Quote: Originally Posted by sjzs10
Any info out there re: better than OEM intake gaskets for the infamous 4.3 coolent leak problem.
Local shops want $500-650 for parts and labor. Don't know what gaskets they use.
Thanks
Probably some of the best gaskets you could buy for your ride: http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart...Path=21_152_67

Victor Reinz Sy/Ty gaskets. You're looking at about $75 for just intake gaskets.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by sjzs10
Thanks
That quote is ridiculous even the most amateur mechanic should be able to do an intake gasket job. As far as the gaskets themselves, I have used the OEM gaskets with zero problems but I believe fel-pro makes the gaskets as well.

Mat1583, while I too am a fan of victor reinz gaskets, the ones you linked will not work on 96+ 4.3's with vortec heads.

Last edited by MINTSICK; 08-21-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
loco hombre

Honestly, I just bought a Felpro kit from Crapzone or Advanced Auto Crap or Murrays Discount Crap or something like that. It came with the throttle body o-ring/gasket, plenum o-ring/gasket, fuel line o-rings, yadda yadda. All you need to tear it down piece by piece to the intake manifold if you want, though you can leave some of the uppers together to expedite the process. Think they were $37 or something. Under $40 with tax, either way.

Felpro has always seemed to make decent stuff in the past so figured why not?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
loco hombre

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK
That quote is ridiculous even the most amateur mechanic should be able to do an intake gasket job. As far as the gaskets themselves, I have used the OEM gaskets with zero problems but I believe fel-pro makes the gaskets as well.

Mat1583, while I too am a fan of victor reinz gaskets, the ones you linked will not work on 96+ 4.3's with vortec heads.

Mine started leaking late in the year last year and due to the weather, I called around to see and they wanted like $600-700. Places around here wanted ridiculous money too... $37 worth of gaskets, a can of carb cleaner, $10 worth of Dexcool & distrilled water, $25 worth of Mobil 1 and a filter later, it was worth the 3.5-4 hours of cold fun in early January.

Last edited by nater006; 08-21-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by nater006
Mine started leaking late in the year last year and due to the weather, I called around to see and they wanted like $600-700. Places around here wanted ridiculous money too... $37 worth of gaskets, a can of carb cleaner, $10 worth of Dexcool & distrilled water, and an oil change later, it was worth the 3.5-4 hours of cold fun in early January.
Oh I am quite familiar with the cold fun repair jobs, best one to date is a head gasket overhaul on a 98 dodge neon I owned for about 6 months. I completed the entire job in January with high temperatures of about 20-25 degrees in a rock driveway with no cover, the last 30% of the job included a somewhat major snowstorm! You could say I despise the cold weather jobs, but compared to what it would cost to have someone do most repairs I'll take the frost bite, busted knuckles, and overall strain and anger of cold weather wrenchin'

Edit: BTW, 1 month after the overhaul I popped the gasket again "pressure testing" my recent repair with 6700rpm powershifts and rev limiter bounces, funnest $1500 car I've owned to date!

Last edited by MINTSICK; 08-21-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Searching no more

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK

Doh! You're right. That's why I didn't buy them along with the rebuild set. he he. whoops!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by nater006
Honestly, I just bought a Felpro kit from Crapzone or Advanced Auto Crap or Murrays Discount Crap or something like that. It came with the throttle body o-ring/gasket, plenum o-ring/gasket, fuel line o-rings, yadda yadda. All you need to tear it down piece by piece to the intake manifold if you want, though you can leave some of the uppers together to expedite the process. Think they were $37 or something. Under $40 with tax, either way.

Felpro has always seemed to make decent stuff in the past so figured why not?
The best intake gaskets for the 1996-2003 4.3 are the:
GM revised gaskets which are green and silver and ~$48
The Fel-Pro Perma-Dry which are ~$100. You have to request Perma-dry at the counter, otherwise they give you the base grade junk.

The base grade Fel-pros are the same design as the original GM gaskets that crack and leak. I put a pair on and guess what? They cracked and leaked. I torqued them properly. No leaks with the GM REVISED intake gaskets. Its worth the extra 10 bucks to not blow your engine.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by jerseybud
The best intake gaskets for the 1996-2003 4.3 are the:
GM revised gaskets which are green and silver and ~$48...
Agreed! The gaskets are actually made out of aluminum (silver color part). You will most likely never need to replace the intake gaskets again. I did mine before they went.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Daily Driver

I just replaced mine with the fel-pro permadry. IIRC it was like $80.00 for the complete intake set, it also came with valve cover gaskets and the RTV for the valley. Looking at all the gaskets they seem to be very high quality. No plastic crap.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #11

is it just intake gaskets that leak primarily? anyone ever have problems with blowing a head gasket?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #12

My 2 cents go to the Fel-Pro perma-dry. Their updated gaskets have all but eliminated the intake issues with this motor. Much better than the original OEM. That's what we recommend to all of our shops at work for these engines, and the rest of the GM intake blunders of the mid to late 90's.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #13

Many thanks for all the replys.
Now the truck has not leaked for 3 days. But now that I have said that, it will have a dinner plate size puddle under it again tomorrow!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #14

Update.
The next AM after my post on 8-23-06, there was no coolent on the driveway so I thought everything was cool. Tried to start it and it barely started. It skipped and sputtered for about 1-2 minutes. Figured I was really screwed. Assumed it was coolont in a cyl. and found a GM dealer of all places that gave me the best quote.
$480 including the upgraded aluminum gaskets.
So I let them do it. Did not have the time to do it myself.
Runs good now. No drips or coolent odor.
Really suprised me at how quickly it got into the cyl.
What a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.