Belt squeak will not stop! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Belt squeak will not stop!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Belt squeak will not stop!

Hi, I am seeing if anyone else has had the same belt squeak problems as I am having. First, I replaced the idler pully because the bearings were shot, then I replaced the belt twice. The first time I replaced it, it stopped squeaking for about a week then started again, so i took it off cleaned the belt with soap and water and hit all of my pullies with an air chuck to get off whatever debris i could... but it continued to squeak. Finally i went to advance got the most expensive belt i could and it stopped the squeak, but now after two weeks it is squeaking again. any advice would be appreciated. thanks! and i also checked all my pullies and they all feel tight??
Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Re: Belt squeak will not stop!

squirt some armorall on it
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
s-series #2?

User is: OffLine

is your belt too long?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by 249mx
Hi, I am seeing if anyone else has had the same belt squeak problems as I am having. First, I replaced the idler pully because the bearings were shot, then I replaced the belt twice. The first time I replaced it, it stopped squeaking for about a week then started again, so i took it off cleaned the belt with soap and water and hit all of my pullies with an air chuck to get off whatever debris i could... but it continued to squeak. Finally i went to advance got the most expensive belt i could and it stopped the squeak, but now after two weeks it is squeaking again. any advice would be appreciated. thanks! and i also checked all my pullies and they all feel tight??

sounds like faulty belt tensioner
Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #5

quote=dnasty88;7281766]sounds like faulty belt tensioner[/quote]

X2
Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

sounds like it needs a v8
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #7

the belt tensioner was replaced not too long ago, maybe about a year? I guess i can try that,but like i said when i replace the belt it stops, but its like after it gets used for a little it squeaks again. Thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by greencactus3
is your belt too long?
Shouldn't be, i have tried both brands of belts that my truck calls for from advance and they went on there like a normal belt should.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

had the same problem on a 98 ZR2. Tried everything to stop it. Replace the belt with a GOODYEAR GATORBACK belt and the squeel will stop. Part number for a 4.3 with air is #4060960. Go to Goodyear website and see where they are sold near you.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
GM

^ yea I was going to suggest the gator back as well. I've had good luck with them.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by 249mx
the belt tensioner was replaced not too long ago, maybe about a year? I guess i can try that,but like i said when i replace the belt it stops, but its like after it gets used for a little it squeaks again. Thanks for the help
Belts DO stretch over time. even a week, they will stretch. The tensioner compensates for this slack. Springs strech over time. If the tensioner spring is weak or stretched, then its time to replace. Theyre relatively cheap and easy, i'd try it, if not bring it back lol.

I had this happen with a 91 cadillac seville, replaced tensioner again, solved issue. come to think of it, same with my dodge ram...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #12

mine wont stop squeakin also might try changing the tensioner
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #13

check ur ac pully. best thing to do is pinpoint where the sound is coming from. with the vehicle running take a long screwdriver and use it as stethoscope if you dont have one. place it on all pulleys and to the front of your ear to listen to the bearings, if it doesnt sound smooth then theres you problem.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
i saw what you did there!

we always use a wooden bromstick handle to listne for sounds etc in parts

or anything wooden like that

works great

put right on the ear to hear that exact thing you put the other end on

hear squeaks or bad bearings or pumps or clacking or anything very well

my 4.3L has a pretty bad constant belt dqueal issue that developed very recently
i tried another alternator and tensioner and all that stuff and its no better

just gonna live with it until maybe i get a nice belt ofr it possibly some day maybe

probably not though and it seems to only really do it when its very cold, like right now
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #15

hold a candle to the one of the pullies or inside of the blet. its worked for me in the past.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #16

belt*
Old 01-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #17

Thanks for the tips, first I will change the tensioner in the next couple weeks or so when i get time. then if that doesn't solve it i guess i will try the Good Year belt. I will try to let you know how it goes.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #18

Re: Engine Squeak

All kidding aside. i had an obnoxious squeal , at first thought it was the altenator pully. lucky for me i had replaced it last summer so it was under warantee so i replaced that.. still squealing. changed the idler pulley... still squealing. installed a new tensioner..... still squealing ... returned the $25 tensioner... so I took off the belt washed it in my slop sink with dish soap and hot water... scrubbed the hell out of it.... let it drip dry..... than scuffed it up with a piece of sandpaper...... put it back on .....SQUEAL WAS GONE....AMAZING... i really thout it was a BS idea to simply wash it but it worked like a charm, I am expecting a gatorback to come in the mail this week.$25 from summit racing but now i might return it because it seems like i wont need it. cant explain how or why it worked but it did.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #19

@stickballer9, thanks for the help. i just did it about 2 hours ago and drove about 20 miles and it wasnt squeakin... but i will see if it comes back.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
Molon Labe

If it goes away after changing or cleaning the belt, then it's the belt and not pulleys or tensioners. Hope that solution worked for you.

If I didn't think it were the belt I would ask what brand of tensioner you used. Sometimes the cheaper brands don't hold up like they should.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Truckin'

I had the same problem. Replaced my OLD Gatorback belt with what should have been a quality NAPA belt and developed a squeak within a month. Thought it might be the idler so I replaced it. Tensioner was a brand new AC Delco unit. Put a new Gatorback on it and the squeak stopped. I guess our belt systems are a little picky. Sucks that Autozones in many (or all) locations don't carry Gatorback anymore, I had to order mine online.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #22

well the squeak is back... next im going to replace the tensioner pulley and buying a gatorback after i put that on if it doesnt stop the squeak. If that does not work i have lost hope.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #23

Road flare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.