S-10 Forum banner

96 s10 4.3 vortec high idle please help

22K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  __Fox__ 
#1 ·
I have a 96 s10 vortec that idles up when you are driving it and when you stop or push the clutch in it goes to 2000 for a few seconds then drops to normal ive replaced the tps when the check engine light was on it is now off and still idling high this is aggrevating but looks like a lot of people have this problem anyone know what is causing it

#2 ·
Yes very common and annoying symptom the 4.3's have with the 5spd. For me I just try to keep my throttlebody, MAF, TPS, and IAC all very clean. I try to clean all these up often and then disconnect the battery to reset them all after you have cleaned them. This seems to help, but what helped mine the most and now it pretty much is completely gone is I had my tuner make some idle air flow adjustments and it acts much better now.

#5 ·
Cleaned the MAF lately?

Check the voltage output of the TPS at idle spot (engine off, key in run). Should be near 0.7vdc IIRC..... Assuming here that maybe you didnt get it installed quite right or new one is defective.....

#9 ·
What I did was not saying this is correct but it's better then a high idle... I let the motor warm up and kept it running and unplugged the IAC. Then I use the set screw for the throttle blade to set the idle like you would a carb. I live on the east coast so when it's cold out I have to give it a lil gas to start and let it warm up a minute before I let all the way off the gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.