94 S10 wont start...after replacing starter - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

94 S10 wont start...after replacing starter

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #1

94 S10 wont start...after replacing starter

I have 94 S10 Blazer 4.3, 2wheel drive, automatic, W engine.

I was getting a whizzing sound from the starter and it would take multiple tries to get a crank. It got progressively worse and it was taking sometimes 5 minutes to get the engine to turn over. But, when I could get a crank the engine would start easily. My daignosis was that the silonoid was bad. I replaced the starter today with an aftermarket from Pep Boys. The ProStart brand starter looked identical to the original.

Now it cranks fine but won't start.

The only snag I had with replacing the starter was I couldn't remove the small wire from the starter before unbolting it. When I dropped the starter it pulled the wire tight until I could get a block underneath it and unbolt the wire. Since it wouldn't start I traced back the wire to the top and opposite side of the engine and looked for damage and checked all the connectors along the way and stuff. I gave a visual inspection on top of the engine and on the bottom where I was working. I checked the fuses inside the cab.

What could have happened? Anybody ever seen this before? Could the new starter be drawing so much current that its not getting any fire to the plugs?
Could anything with the starter be the problem?

Please does anyone have a clue whats going on here??
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine
Re: 94 S10 wont start...after replacing starter

Quote: Originally Posted by hermosatrout5
I have 94 S10 Blazer 4.3, 2wheel drive, automatic, W engine.

I was getting a whizzing sound from the starter and it would take multiple tries to get a crank. It got progressively worse and it was taking sometimes 5 minutes to get the engine to turn over. But, when I could get a crank the engine would start easily. My daignosis was that the silonoid was bad. I replaced the starter today with an aftermarket from Pep Boys. The ProStart brand starter looked identical to the original.

Now it cranks fine but won't start.

The only snag I had with replacing the starter was I couldn't remove the small wire from the starter before unbolting it. When I dropped the starter it pulled the wire tight until I could get a block underneath it and unbolt the wire. Since it wouldn't start I traced back the wire to the top and opposite side of the engine and looked for damage and checked all the connectors along the way and stuff. I gave a visual inspection on top of the engine and on the bottom where I was working. I checked the fuses inside the cab.

What could have happened? Anybody ever seen this before? Could the new starter be drawing so much current that its not getting any fire to the plugs?
Could anything with the starter be the problem?

Please does anyone have a clue whats going on here??
When you turn the key to "on" can you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #3

I doubt the starter and wires and no start condition are related. Also, the wires are generally tight going to the starter, but pulling them a little generally gives you enough slack to drop the starter somewhat before you unbolt the wires.

As suggested, make sure you hear the fuel pump.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #4

Check the ground wires to the battery. Make sure that you put them back they way they were before removing the starter and are tight.
Check your fuses and make sure that the fuel pump primes for ~3 seconds when you turn the key to run.
Check for spark.
Make sure that you are getting power to the coil.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

So far, nobody suspects the starter is screwing up the electrical system.
So, appreciate if you guys can help me through basic trouble shooting.

To listen for the fuel pump, is it under the car (S10 Blazer) on top/inside of the fuel tank?

Haynes manual says there are fuel pump relays on the firewall. Anything to check here.

To check for spark, should I check to see if spark is at the spark plug? Pull a plug out and set it on top of engine/make sure threads are touching ground?
Crank engine and look for arc in the spark plug?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

So far, nobody suspects the starter is screwing up the electrical system.
Is the starter engaging the flywheel and turning the engine fast enough to start it?
If yes, then positive volts are making it to the starter and ignition switch, and negitive volts are good to the starter.

Did you disconnect the neg battery connection at the battery before pulling the starter?

To listen for the fuel pump, is it under the car (S10 Blazer) on top/inside of the fuel tank?
It is in the tank. Everytime that you turn the key to run, the computer will power the relay ~3 seconds to make the pump wind up and prime the system with ~60lbs of fuel pressure. If you listen at the gas cap you should hear it. Have a helper turn the key.

To check for spark, should I check to see if spark is at the spark plug? Pull a plug out and set it on top of engine/make sure threads are touching ground?
Crank engine and look for arc in the spark plug?
That would work. I usually have old plugs in my tool box and use a jumper lead to ground the outside of the plug.

Last edited by Bill Wheats; 07-16-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #7

I was able to get it started by using starting fluid and let it run for 20 minutes. It started again 30 minutes later. But, after sitting for 2 hours, I had to prime it with starting fluid again.

As for when I first turn the key on, I don't think I can hear the fuel pump lasting for 3 seconds. I just hear the alarm from under the dash. I even had my wife get in and I went to the back of the car and still couldn't hear anything lasting for three seconds except for the alarm under the dash. One time I heard a grumbling noise coming from that area but not lasting for three seconds.

Any suggestions please?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #8

Thanks Bill. Just saw your reply. When you say listen at the gas cap, do you mean take the gas cap off?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #9

I've never had to take the cap off, but if there is a lot of noise in the area that would work.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #10

If the pump doesn't prime, the relay is probably bad.
On the pass side fire wall under the hood, you should find one wire with a connecter on it but not connected to anything. That is your pump test lead.
Near it you should see a bolt with red wires on it (power block). Get a peice or wire and a fuse. Connect one end of the wire to the pump test connector. Hold the fuse to the power block and connect the wire to the other end of the fuse. The pump should run.
Run it for ~5 seconds or so then start the engine. It should start.

Bad relay or wires powering it.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Wheats
On the pass side fire wall under the hood, you should find one wire with a connecter on it but not connected to anything. That is your pump test lead.
Near it you should see a bolt with red wires on it (power block). Get a peice or wire and a fuse. Connect one end of the wire to the pump test connector. Hold the fuse to the power block and connect the wire to the other end of the fuse. The pump should run.

Still doesn't start.
I can hear the fuel pump on both scenario's above.
Although, I was expecting a soft humming or whining sound, but what I hear is more of a grumbling sound.
When we turn on the key, I hear the fuel pump but don't think its a full 3 seconds. From under the hood I let it run for at least 5 seconds as you suggested but no luck.
I then sprayed a little starting fluid and it started immediately. Then I took the S10 for a spin and it acted normal. I tried from red light to 65mph flawless. From the preceeding sentence, can I assume that the fuel pump and fuel filter are OK ?

After sitting for a couple of hours, again it won't start. Same as before.

I kindly ask for more suggestions please.

Thanks,
Larry T
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #12

Still doesn't start.
I can hear the fuel pump on both scenario's above.
Although, I was expecting a soft humming or whining sound, but what I hear is more of a grumbling sound.
When we turn on the key, I hear the fuel pump but don't think its a full 3 seconds. From under the hood I let it run for at least 5 seconds as you suggested but no luck.
I then sprayed a little starting fluid and it started immediately. Then I took the S10 for a spin and it acted normal. I tried from red light to 65mph flawless. From the preceeding sentence, can I assume that the fuel pump and fuel filter are OK ?

After sitting for a couple of hours, again it won't start. Same as before.

I kindly ask for more suggestions please.

Thanks,
Larry T

Check your fuel pressure KOEO, it should belike 60 psi, Im sure someone will chime in with the correct spec.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #13

Get a set of jumper cables. Connect one to the body and one to the neg battery terminal. Hold the clamps closed real tight while someone tries to start it.

If you disregard that fact that you changed the starter, because the new one works.... The only change that should be considered is disconnecting the battery negitive.

Other things that could cause the problem:
Weak battery
loose positive connection at battery to alternator
Fuel pump regulator
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump ground ~check to make sure your rear parking lighs light up real good. They share the same ground strap.
Oip pressure switch only comes into account after the engine is running so that can be elimiated as a cause.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #14

Get a set of jumper cables. Connect one to the body and one to the neg battery terminal. Hold the clamps closed real tight while someone tries to start it.

If you disregard that fact that you changed the starter, because the new one works.... The only change that should be considered is disconnecting the battery negitive.

Weak battery
loose positive connection at battery to alternator
Fuel pump regulator
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump ground ~check to make sure your rear parking lighs light up real good. They share the same ground strap.
Oip pressure switch only comes into account after the engine is running so that can be elimiated as a cause..

Get a set of jumper cables. Connect one to the body and one to the neg battery terminal. Hold the clamps closed real tight while someone tries to start it..
I'm not understanding how this could be affecting what seems to be a fuel/priming problem, but I'll try this and see what happens.

If you disregard that fact that you changed the starter, because the new one works.... The only change that should be considered is disconnecting the battery negitive...
I follow you here, I disconnected the ground/negative terminal from the battery, replaced the starter, reconnected the negative terminal.

Weak battery
loose positive connection at battery to alternator..
After I replaced the starter and neg cable, then it wouldn't start so I checked all around the engine to see if I had knocked anything loose as I had mentioned in my original post. Eventually I cranked the engine until the battery ran down. Then I used jumper cables and starting fluid to get it started. The alternator charged the battery so I think battery to ground and battery to alternator are good. Battery seems plenty strong as it gives plenty of cranking.

Fuel pump regulator..
more on the fuel pump regulator please

Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump ground..
In my last post, I mentioned that today I went 0-60 without any hesitation so was wondering if this is indication that the fuel pump and fuel filter are OK.

Would it be something to also consider that the engine is cold when I am having the problem. Could there be a sensor that is giving a false reading so the computer thinks the engine is hot? But on the other hand, once it starts it runs well.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, when I use the starting fluid, the engine starts immediately. The starter only has to turn for maybe one second and it fires right up.

Last edited by hermosatrout5; 07-21-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #15

You need to check what he said because once you start the vehicle the engine doesn't need quite as much pressure to keep it running. The vehicle also doesn't need as much fuel when it is warm and the engine is easier to start.

Based on the fact that you can start the truck with starting fluid means that the ignition circuit is OK and the problem lies in the fuel system. The grumbling noise sounds bad, but until you can make sure you have lower fuel pressure than you should, or no fuel pressure at times but do have good connections to the pump you won't know if you need to do an expensive FP replacement.

Just a question out there, but does the $15 fuel pressure guage that HF sells work on our trucks? I saw one for $15 there yesterday that said it would not work with GM throttle body (not what most of us have) and then they had a $88 one that had about everything you could ever need.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
Registered (Ab) User

Sounds like you have a bad fuel pump or bad fuel press. reg. The FPR is much cheaper and easier to replace, so if it were mine, I'd replace the FPR. Click here for more info.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #17

The jumper cable bit is just a quick way to eliminate or fing a ground problem from the battery negitive to the ground bolt feeding the ground to the pump.
It's saved me a lot of time in the past.

Good luck
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Haven't been able to get back to it yet.
I didn't realize until checking the link that Yogi suggested, that the FPR is built on to the CPI unit. (I knew it was under the manifold but I had thought it was a separate unit ). The reason I mention this is because the CPI was replaced about 13k miles ago but 5 years ago. We had a used car warranty so I had Firestone do the work. I'm pretty sure they got the part from Chevy so pretty sure the FPR was included. Part number 7003002 MPI Assembly was $545.00. The gasket was $24.99. I was thinking if the FPR is under the manifold that it would be automatic to replace it with the CPI even if it were two assemblies.

This couldn't be as simple as a clogged fuel filter could it? I can't recall it been replaced during the 6 years/23 K miles that I have owned it.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #19

My guess is that the check valve on the fuel pump is giving out, Fuel pump, or the FPR.
More then likely the FPR just like Yogi is suggesting. You should test with a fuel pressure gauge, but if replacing the FPR fixes the problem then it's fixed, and FPRs do get weak with age.
Pull the CPI cover and look for washing. Post some pictures. There are many here that can confirm the FPR from a good pic.

About the starter. The hard start symptom had probably caused the starter to over heat one too many times causing it's demise.
Best of luck.

Last edited by Bill Wheats; 07-23-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:55 AM   #20

My guess is that the check valve on the fuel pump is giving out, Fuel pump, or the FPR.
More then likely the FPR just like Yogi is suggesting. You should test with a fuel pressure gauge, but if replacing the FPR fixes the problem then it's fixed, and FPRs do get weak with age.
Pull the CPI cover and look for washing. Post some pictures. There are many here that can confirm the FPR from a good pic.
I'm afraid its probably not the FPR since the CPI was replaced about 13,000 miles ago.

Can the fuel pressure be checked without taking the manifold off and can this test determine which component is bad?
Is there a procedure here in this forum and is there someplace I can buy a reasonably priced guage?

Thanks again for everyones suggestions.
Larry
Old 07-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #21

About the starter. The hard start symptom had probably caused the starter to over heat one too many times causing it's demise.
Best of luck.
Actually, for the past 13,000 miles since the CPI was replaced it has been easy to start. Well, it was easy until the starter went bad.

With the bad starter, it would only take a couple of seconds to start once the solenoid would engage the flywheel. Thing is we would have to turn the ignition key "on and off" 20 or 30 times to get the solenoid to engage.

So, wonder what affect all that turning the ignition switch "on and off" might have had on the fuel pump or other parts of the fuel feed system? I assume the fuel pump tried to prime each time we turn the key on. Probably most times we weren't letting it go through the 3 second cycle before we turn the key off again.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #22
Registered (Ab) User

I'm afraid its probably not the FPR since the CPI was replaced about 13,000 miles ago.

Can the fuel pressure be checked without taking the manifold off and can this test determine which component is bad?
Is there a procedure here in this forum and is there someplace I can buy a reasonably priced guage?

Thanks again for everyones suggestions.
Larry
Fuel pressure gauge is about $40 at AutoZone. Harbor Freight has one for $10.

There is a valve stem at the back of the motor on the fuel line that is used to check the pressure. Looks like the valve stem on a tire.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by Yogi
Fuel pressure gauge is about $40 at AutoZone. Harbor Freight has one for $10.

There is a valve stem at the back of the motor on the fuel line that is used to check the pressure. Looks like the valve stem on a tire.
I bought the fuel pressure kit at Harbor Freight. Is there a step by step test procedure here on the Forum?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #24
Registered (Ab) User

I bought the fuel pressure kit at Harbor Freight. Is there a step by step test procedure here on the Forum?
No step by step that I know of.

Hook up the gauge to the test port on the fuel rail. Like I said, it's a valve stem fitting with a black cap on it. It's on the driver's side of the dizzy at the back of the motor. With the gauge on, turn the key to on but don't start the motor. Check and record the pressure. Should be about 58 psi with Key On Engine Off (KOEO). Try turning the key on for 5 sec. then off, then on for 5 sec., then off, and repeat the on -off until pressure stabilizes. Record reading. Try starting immediately. If it won't start, start with starter fluid and get readings at idle and at WOT.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #25

is there a write up anywhere for replacing the fuel pump by chance?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #26
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by 97blazin
is there a write up anywhere for replacing the fuel pump by chance?
I haven't seen one, but it's not a very complicated task.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #27

I haven't seen one, but it's not a very complicated task.
i beg to differ, i removed the two straps had a jack under the tank and went to lower it and it wont budge. my cars gas tank was easy, two straps couple hoses and it was on the ground
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #28
Registered (Ab) User

I didn't say it was easy, just not complicated. For an S10 the easiest way is to take the bed off, disconnect the pump and take it out of the tank. Installation is the reverse.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #29

It's easier if you cut a hole in the bed above the pump.
Unbolting the bed, then lifting and jacking one side of the bed is the least complicated.

Pulling the tank is the hardest PIA.

Last edited by Bill Wheats; 08-07-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #30

ya i wish it was in a s10, its in a blazer so its off to the side... shitty placement imo
Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #31
Aquatic Goat Farmer

Hermo, I just had a similar issue:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f20/no...3/#post5479049

and it is now resolved. It was my fuel pump but you should read my symptoms just to verify.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #32
Registered (Ab) User

I didn't say it was easy, just not complicated. For an S10 the easiest way is to take the bed off, disconnect the pump and take it out of the tank. Installation is the reverse.
I said to take the bed off because the title of this thread is "94 S10 won't start...." and then I reread the OP and saw that it is a '94 S10 Blazer which makes a big difference. On the Blazer, you have to drop the tank out the bottom - which is a major PITA!!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #33

Well. I had a chance to get out there to the BLAZER today. Sorry for the confusion but I do appreciate everyone's input and good intent.

I attached the pressure gauge and went through the testing. However, I am skeptical of the readings.

I could see gasoline through the window of the gauge. The guage slowly filled up with gasoline. Do I have a defective gauge?
I have no experience with this but I would think that if the gauge is leaking internally that it is releasing pressure so the reading would be off.

Comments please.

thanks,
Larry
Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #34
Registered (Ab) User

Definitely a bad gauge. Throw it away before it gets you hurt.

Is it new? Where did you get it? What brand is it?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #35
Life Begins @ Zero PSI

holy hell, i just read all this.

before you fuel pressure test, take your fuel filter off and try to blow through it. if air passes freely through it then it's good, if it is the slightest bit clogged, replace it for like $12

i bought my fuel pressure tester at Napa for $50
you should not have fuel in the needle
you got a junk tool take it back and get a good one
like yogi said, hook that up like you did
have to hood up so you can see the gauge from inside the truck
turn the key but don't start it.
you should see 55-60 psi at prime
start it and you should see like 50-ish when it's running.
if you don't have those numbers, ditch the pump and get a new one.

funny story...
i had my fuel pump go out on me way the fock down in Sacramento one day. i didn't want to pay for a tow. i called a friend who lived in the area. we towed it around the block with a strap. he had a grinder with a diamond blade on it. we cut a perfect hole out in my trucks bed. swapped the pump and fired it right up.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #36
Registered (Ab) User

I just reread and noticed that you got it at HF. What a POS!!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #37

Hello Yogi and Jake. Its a brand new gauge from Harbor Freight. Took the plastic wrap of of the box. Will take it back.

Hello Jakefindleton. Yeah, I already replaced the fuel filter. 9 bucks for a Purolator from PepBoys. Thanks.

Hello Everyone. Thanks for sticking with me.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #38

You mentioned that the Fuel pump is making a groaning noise, First change the filter, and if it doesn't correct problem sounds like the pump is bad.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #39

Got a pic of where this test connector is? I can't find it on my 98 s10 pickup. I think my pump isn't priming but would like to test this here to verify. Thanks

Last edited by nicks10; 08-18-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #40
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by nicks10
Got a pic of where this test connector is? I can't find it on my 98 s10 pickup. I think my pump isn't priming but would like to test this here to verify. Thanks

I could be wrong but I think that it is only on Gen I's.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #41

I don't know if this will help or not, I have a 94 GMC jimmy with the 4.3 with plenium and spider injectors. Mine would run all day if you sprayed fuel in the plenium but would not start otherwise. replaced coil, injectors, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter but to no avail. Took to my local mechanic and he traced all ground wires, even added extra grounding points but would not start. Finally removed fuel tank and checked pump out of tank but in a can of fuel, found the hat that fits on fuel pump had a hairline fracture and was not holding enough pressure to allow engine to start. Might be worthwhile to check. Mine drove fine, shut it off at work and did not restart for 6 months, not untill I took it elsewhere.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #42
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by AMW94S10
I don't know if this will help or not, I have a 94 GMC jimmy with the 4.3 with plenium and spider injectors. Mine would run all day if you sprayed fuel in the plenium but would not start otherwise. replaced coil, injectors, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter but to no avail. Took to my local mechanic and he traced all ground wires, even added extra grounding points but would not start. Finally removed fuel tank and checked pump out of tank but in a can of fuel, found the hat that fits on fuel pump had a hairline fracture and was not holding enough pressure to allow engine to start. Might be worthwhile to check. Mine drove fine, shut it off at work and did not restart for 6 months, not untill I took it elsewhere.
Now THAT'S one helluva mechanic!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #43

yep he is, now has my business when needed
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #44

No step by step that I know of.

Hook up the gauge to the test port on the fuel rail. Like I said, it's a valve stem fitting with a black cap on it. It's on the driver's side of the dizzy at the back of the motor. With the gauge on, turn the key to on but don't start the motor. Check and record the pressure. Should be about 58 psi with Key On Engine Off (KOEO). Try turning the key on for 5 sec. then off, then on for 5 sec., then off, and repeat the on -off until pressure stabilizes. Record reading. Try starting immediately. If it won't start, start with starter fluid and get readings at idle and at WOT.

Good luck!
If I can believe the Harbor Freight Guage...
It reads 45psi within couple of seconds after key on. My understanging is that the fuel pump turns on for 3 seconds at Key On Engine Off.
Watched the guage for a minute or so to make sure the pressure did not bleed off.
Still 45 PSI when I tried to start but no go.
Had to use starting fluid to get it to go.
Still 45 PSI at idle.
45 to 50 PSI when racing engine a bit.

Dont know what is "WOT".
Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 AM   #45

Could there be something else that is causing the no start problem besides the fuel intake? We jumped at this conclusion since I am able to get it to start with the starting fluid. Could something else be making it hard to start and the starting fluid is overcoming this? Temperature sensor or anything like that?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #46

It reads 45psi within couple of seconds after key on. My understanging is that the fuel pump turns on for 3 seconds at Key On Engine Off.
Watched the guage for a minute or so to make sure the pressure did not bleed off.
Still 45 PSI at idle.

Dont know what is "WOT".
After I took the readings, I shut the engine off to take off the fuel pressure guage. The engine had not warmed up yet. When I tried to start again it would not go, I had to use starting fluid again

Unless something has changed, it will start OK if the engine is warm. The first day that it happened, I let it idle for 30 mins or so and then shut it off. Then came back 30mins later (or longer) and it started up. I think I started it several times that day before the engine got cold.

What really puzzles me is that it was so easy to start when the bad starter was on there. Just a couple of cranks from the weak worn out starter and it would fire up. Now it has a strong starter and wont fire up.

Last edited by hermosatrout5; 08-27-2008 at 03:31 AM. Reason: more information
Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #47

please put a fuel pump in it and tell us what happens, lol. the growling noise gives it away for me. Good luck tho'

Im getting ready to put one in mine so dont feel lonely

Last edited by cherrybomb_420; 08-27-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #48
It's "Neanderthal"

Still 45 PSI at idle.

Dont know what is "WOT".

"WOT" Wide Open Throttle.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #49
Registered (Ab) User

That 45 psi at key on engine off is not enough. Should be 58 psi min. That's why it won't start. It's a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel press. reg. but the grumbling noise from the pump makes me suspect that is the culprit.

For good prices on GM pumps, go here:
http://store.getgmparts.com/fuel-pumps.html

You'll have to go to RockAuto.com or ACDelco.com the get a part # though.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 AM   #50

Summary/Review.
Going back to the day the fuel pump went bad...

I started the car and drove it 1/4 mile from the street to my driveway.
(fuel pump was OK)
I replaced the starter.
Engine would not start again because the fuel pump went bad.
Fuel pump died while replacing the starter.

I still don't understand why or how this happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.