S-10 Forum banner

'94 s10 w/4.3 - water in oil question

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DMSchuler 
#1 ·
Hello!

found out there's water in the oil. At first, I thought it was head gasket, but not so sure now. A few months ago I changed the water pump, and now I'm wondering if there is a potential I didn't seal the bolts properly and perhaps the water is getting in the oil that way.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I remember something about the water pump bolts on certain chevy motors...

so, whats the verdict? Nuts or bolts? lol...

#3 ·
I'd wager on intake manifold gaskets, first. Head gaskets are not very common to go bad on these trucks. Intake manifold gaskets are, and that is one of the signs - coolant in the oil.

Search for that, or for "LIM" and you'll find oodles of info, pics, etc.

#5 ·
If you've got water in the oil, though, you don't want to be driving it. That's a sure way to wreck bearings and more. The gasket kit is cheap, maybe $40ish, so I'd do it before driving it again if possible, or you may run into additional problems. If the oil looks milky at all - it's not good.

#6 ·
so, I changed the gaskets yesterday. Changed the oil and antifreeze, and cleaned the manifold and plenum. Got it all back together ok, and its running but it's now throwing codes 22 and 34. Thought it was the MAP sensor, so plunked down $40 for a new one - of course that isn't it.

Before I go any further, I thought I'd ask for suggestions on what I should look for next.

In addition to the gaskets, I also replaced the cap & rotor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.