94 s10 stalls/no start - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

94 s10 stalls/no start

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #1

94 s10 stalls/no start

Hi all.New to forum.
I'm having trouble figuring out my sons 1994 S10 problem.
The truck will start and run but die out and not restart.When this happen I have spark but no fuel.If I use starting fluid truck will start but die as soon as I quit spraying starting fluid.I tried to pull trouble codes but the SES light will not flash it just stays on.I should get at least a code 12 I think.I also tried tapping on ecm to see if it would change anything.I don't think I am getting an injector pulse.I do not have a noid light to verify.Thanks in advance for any help.
I should add it is a 4.3 TBI stick shift ,no air

Last edited by gml1998; 09-30-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

User is: OffLine
Re: 94 s10 stalls/no start

hows the fuel pressure, hows the truck run when it first fires on its own?

Might pull the small cover off the ECM and reseat the EEPROM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Will the distributor module cause loss of injector pulse? Reason I ask is on 3 different occasions I've been either tapping on or wiggling the connector at the distributor module with the engine running and the motor died.This may or may not be a coincidence. Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #4

It gives the ECM a signal for the cam position so the ECM knows where to fire the injector. So Yes. Dont think the Module actually does anything other than report the cam position to the ECM. The ECM fires the injector based upon inputs from sensors. I would pull the haness, clean it check the pickup coil in the distributor also it has a connector hooked up to the other side of the module.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by lesterl
It gives the ECM a signal for the cam position so the ECM knows where to fire the injector. So Yes. Dont think the Module actually does anything other than report the cam position to the ECM. The ECM fires the injector based upon inputs from sensors. I would pull the haness, clean it check the pickup coil in the distributor also it has a connector hooked up to the other side of the module.
I will check these and report my findings.Thanks for the input.Gary
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by gml1998
I will check these and report my findings.Thanks for the input.Gary
I checked connections all were tight and no corrosion etc.I took the module to autozone,they checked it and said it was ok.I also borrowed a noid light and verified that when truck dies I have no injector pulse.What next? Should
I try a module anyway?I know if it checks good it can still be no good under actual running conditions.Thanks Gary.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by gml1998
I checked connections all were tight and no corrosion etc.I took the module to autozone,they checked it and said it was ok.I also borrowed a noid light and verified that when truck dies I have no injector pulse.What next? Should
I try a module anyway?I know if it checks good it can still be no good under actual running conditions.Thanks Gary.
I was tapping the connector for the distributor module and again the truck died so I bought a reman distributor from autozone.(99.00).This fixed the problem.Thanks to those who replied to my post.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #8

WooHoo!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #9

My issues are very similar...random stalling.. Has new fuel pump, fuel filter and coil. Spider assembly was re-worked not too long ago-- checked and no signs of leaks. Fuel pressure measured at 65PSI when key switched to ON and holds at 60PSI as stalling takes place. I had ignition module tested at AutoZone also-- they tested it about 8-10 times until it heated up real good--no failures. (stalls only at low idle or slow coasting) if I keep foot on accelerator and keep RPMs up--no stalling. Slow down at light, put in Neutral, put back in Drive when light turns green (hassle after awhile). When it stalls, 99.9% of time it will NOT start. Here is my weird troubleshooting/testing: I pull H coil wire output to distributor cap and turn engine over for about 5 seconds, then re-connect coil wire and it starts RIGHT AWAY 99.9% of the time. Been using this VERY RELIABLE method until I can figure out actual problem-- Now, to avoid having to get out of vehicle to re-start truck, I put a switch in line with the pink wire going between distributor and coil connector, (which also kills output from coil to distributor cap so when it stalls, i would flip switch off, turn over 5 seconds, turn switch on.. , BUT-- DOES NOT START when do this is done. Going to test for pulses on the injector assy when it does not start and see what I get...Please post thoughts/ideas, etc.. I will also. Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.