94 s10 4.3 making very loud grinding noise! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

94 s10 4.3 making very loud grinding noise!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

94 s10 4.3 making very loud grinding noise!

My truck is making this terrible grinding sound at low rmp's when driving, doesnt do it when i idle only when the truck is moving, could it be the starter making contact with the flywheel or is my ac compressor pully going out, mind u the ac works but the truck runs almost twice as warm with it on. i recently upgraded the big 3 and those connections are solid. could the extra current have messed something up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 94 s10 4.3 making very loud grinding noise!

Cant hear it from here.
Noise only when moving , but not when stopped.
Wheel bearing? Transmission?Rear axle?
Need more information, is the noise from front,center or rear of vehicle ?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

sounds like its comin from the front, i feel it through the gas pedal its extremly loud almost sounds like a concrete saw. bypassed the ac pulley, still did it. the truck is not turining over that well for soome reason, could the starter be making contact with the flywheel?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

it could be. but i think it would be pretty obvious. get underneath it and make sure both bolts are there.i've seen a blazer with a sheered off starter bolt that had that issue. but it would grind all the time.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

If its 4x4 its front Driveshaft I plow througgh them.its the Stupid Bearing setup conected to transfercase
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
SSRT-S10

Noise only when moving... not at idle ... cant be starter to engine....

if it was the a/c belt.., it qould squeal...
if it was the a/c clutch.., possible squeal or grind noise or it would go real loud when a/c is turned on...

If you rev it up while sitting still (in park).., does it do it then ??
if yes.., possiblly related to engine /trans area issues....

if no.., does it do it at only slow speeds ??
if yes..,
check the front brakes.... pads could be worn metal to metal... since wheel is off the ground to check the brakes.., check the play in the wheel... any up and down motion when you push and pull on top and bottom of the tire ??

yes.., either a bearing or hub assembly may cause this....
if real bad.., can also cause brake pads to get eaten up on the rotor....

let us know what you find...
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

well i finally got under it and got to looking around, gear oil everywhere around my diff cover, gonna change out the oil, u joint seems fine. hopefully this is the problem and i havnt damaged and gears beyond easy repair. the sound to me seemed like it was comin from the front, a buddy noticed it right away and felt like it was comin from the back, too many years of loud music i guess. /shrug who knows.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

changed the diff cover gasket and filled it up with oil its leaking like mad around the driveshaft, guessin its a seal in there.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #9

replaced pinion seal, still makin noise so i jacked the rear wheels off ground and got it isolated to the carrier bearing? sounds like its coming from middle of driveshaft. any ideas?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

Well replaced the carrier bearing and its still making the noise, the sound def seems to be coming from the differential or carrier bearing area. Ive notcied when i throw the truck in nuetral the sound decreases drastically. Whats my next step?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Vig Pimpin

my old 88 suburban sounded like an old propeller plane when i took off from a stop, until i hit 3rd gear. it was a warped flexplate scraping. never heard it in park, and only a little when first put into reverse, but first and second gear were loud as shit!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by heavy99chevy
If its 4x4 its front Driveshaft I plow througgh them.its the Stupid Bearing setup conected to transfercase
94 BOUGHT IT NEW.
I HAVE PULLING AND GRINDING, WHEN IN 4 WHEEL WHEN i PULLED OVER AND STOPPED, KINDA POPPED INTO 4 WHEEL OK. BUT NOW WONT POP IN ANY MORE. iTS BINDING. ALSO HARD TO GET OUT OF 4 WHEEL, BUT WITH PATIENTS, i DO, iM CONVINCED ITS ONE WHEEL ONLY, PULLS TO LEFT i BELIEVE. ITS BEEN DOING THIS FOR SEVERAL YEARS, BUT NOW I THINK I NEED TO FIX IT. I REPLACED THE SHEAR PIN, SO IM ALMOST POSITIVE THE PULL OFF WORKS OK, JUST THE BINDING AND A WHIRR.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU KNOW WHATS WRONG, CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA HOW TO PROCEED?
WAYLAND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.