'94 s-10 pickup 4.3 vortec questions... not running right - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

'94 s-10 pickup 4.3 vortec questions... not running right

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #1

'94 s-10 pickup 4.3 vortec questions... not running right

Ok guys, this is my first post and my first day searching around this site. Seems like there is a lot of good info here.

I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I have recently purchased a 1994 s-10 pickup 4x4 with the 4.3. It has ran great for the first 200 miles (143,000 on the clock), but last night on my way home from a 30 minute drive or so, as I pulled off the highway and came to a stop the truck almost died, then would rev to 1,200 or so, then drop to 600 or so and continue this everytime it was trying to idle. it would drive pretty much like usual once I got going though. Got into the driveway and it was doing the same thing.

If I would give it a little bit of gas it would almost die out and then it would jump up in rpm's. Also, as I pulled into the driveway coasting it seemed as though I may have lost power brakes as I almost hit my roommates car...

I'm thinking it could be a vac leak in the brake booster, but not sure.

I came home from work today and started it up to see how she ran, and it would fluctuate between 1,100 and 800 rpm's and didn't sound right.

Like I said, I'm new to this truck, and bought it as a motorcycle hauler for racing (I have one next weekend) and would really like to get it back into shape.

I have heard of the fuel pressure regulator, cat. converter, injector, etc... issues, but am looking for a little expert advice. Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #2

Re: '94 s-10 pickup 4.3 vortec questions... not running right

ok, little update. Just went out to take the truck around the block to see if it was still acting up. Sure is. Idle's extremelely rough and sounds like it's missing. It smells of gas and you can hear the fuel pump come on so I don't think it's a problem of getting fuel. there were definitely times when the power brakes were not functioning and typically during the lower idle periods.

again, any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my 1994 4x4 s10 it ended up one of my oxygen sensor wires was bare from laying on exaust and shorted out i fixed the bare wire and the truck started working fine. if not a bad wire maybe try replacing the o2 sensor
Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #4

User is: OffLine

You may have a couple of problems. As far as the surging goes, I would check out your EGR valve to make is it isn't clogged with carbon keeping the valve open. Once you do that move on the brake problem and check the fluid level and pads and rotors to rule out the obvious before jumping into the vaccum portion of the brake booster.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #5

I will check that 02 wire tonight when I get home, hopefully it's an easy fix like that.

As far as checking fluids and whatnot, I have done that (even though that shouldn't be the case as the brake pedal is firm when they don't seem to be working, so there is fluid pressure, just doesn't feel like there's any vac assist) so I'm not sure, I was just thinking that a vac leak could cause the surging idle and a vac leak could also cause the brake issue, but maybe they are separate issues.

The truck does seem to run fairly strong once I get past idle (like when I took it around the block) if that helps rule anything out.

Again, thanks for the replies and any other help would be great, I'll let you know if it was the 02 wire when I can check that out tonight.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #6

Sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me, take the tube off the brake booster and see what happens if theres no difference in idle then its a vacuum leak, if it gets worse then its not that
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #7

So I pulled the line off of the brake booster and could hear sucking out of the line which is good. and then the idle rose quite a bit and was steady. Put my finger over the tube and the idle returned to being erratic and low. So I don't think it's a brake booster leak issue any longer...

tried taking it out for another spin (roommate suggested some hard runs to try to potentially unplug the egr if that was the problem) and it seems to pull pretty strong, but it ended up dying on me twice at stoplights.

I also didn't see any wires laying across the exhaust, but I may be looking in the wrong location.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #8

I just bought a '94 S10 Blazer less than a week ago and on a trip this weekend this exact problem occured, even the power brakes seeming to go. Everytime i come to a stop and press the brake, it gets harder to press and then feels extremely stiff when pressed all the way down and barely stops the car. When the car is idling the same problem also happens, it just sounds really rough.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #9

^^^ well, I'm hoping I found the answer to my problem, going to check it out tonight, but here is some info I found:

"If your Blazer has rough idle and you can smell gas, there is a feeder tube located in the intake plenum. It is clear plastic hose, they develop hairline cracks and leak. Replacing it should fix the problem."

and

"I have a'94 Blazer 4.3 W engine that I have owned for 8 years.It has been a very reliable vehicle for me with the usual maintenance items replaced along the way. I have removed the EGR valve and cleaned out the little carbon pieces about 8 times over the years. As suggested, clean around both holes in the intake & start the engine briefly before you replace the valve to blow out loose pieces. That really helps. Mine always started very well... up until a month ago. IT would crank forever before it started and had a rough idle and terrible smell from the exhaust pipe. It turned out to be the fuel supply line under the intake plenum that supply gas to the CFI/injector assy. was cracked and spaying fuel inside the plenum. The new fuel line nut kit was about $85 at the dealer only. While the plenum is off, clean out the exhaust holes that feed the EGR valve. Starting & running great again. I hope some of this info is helpful."

There were a bunch of other posts I found referring to this problem and the brakes not functioning along with the idle issue as well. So tonight the plenum comes off and I am going to see if I can't figure this thing out. Still need the truck to be running for this weekend.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #10

well... I replaced the fuel pressure regulator tonight. Took the plenum off and saw that the left side of the plenum (fpr side) looked washed and clean and the nut kit side looked dirty. So decided to just replace the fpr and see if that did the trick. the egr ports looked quite clean, so I didn't mess with it at all...

Put it back together, and the truck is still running like absolute crap... I guess tomorrow I'll take it apart again and this time do the nut kit and the egr. Not really sure what else it could be if it's not one of those things. I guess the last option would be the cpi.

there's definitely a strong smell of gas during while idling and running very rough.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #11

Similar problem here, rough idle and hard to start. 2003 Blazer 4.3. Once it's started, opening the throttle causes it to sputter and die. I have an OBD-II reader and I am getting codes P0131, P0137, and P0151, which are all O2 sensor errors. Since I find it unlikely that multiple O2 sensors failed simultaneously, and because all O2 sensors are reading lean, I'm investigating the fuel system. Borrowed a buddy's fuel pressure gauge and it's reading about 22psi @ the test valve behind the injectors during idle. I don't have an 03 book but I know that 99's operate @ 60 psi, so this seems low to me. I already replaced the inline fuel filter and that didn't help. No fuel leaks anywhere. Does anyone know what the proper fuel pressure for this vehicle is? If low, would you agree that it sounds like the fuel pump? If normal, then maybe clean the injectors? O2 sensor wiring looks ok and no exhaust leaks that I can find.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:10 AM   #12

it sounds like the spider injector. run a search for it and youll turn up a tun of stuff. there is a pretty good write up with pics check it out and see if thats what you got. it sure sounds like it tho.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #13

well... took the plenum and everything apart again today and this time took off the egr as well. When I got the egr off, there was a fairly large chunk of carbon holding it open... go figure... oh well, I guess I have a new fpr in there now.

buttoned everything back up and she idles quite nicely. Still searches for the idle occassionally right when I come to a stop, but not bad at all.

I have a slight squeal from something along the serpentine assembly, but I don't think that's a big deal. Just glad it's running well now.

Thanks for the help guys, guess it was the easy answer after all.

On the plus side, I can get that plenum on and off lickety split now. on and off in probably 10 minutes.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by Mordy
Borrowed a buddy's fuel pressure gauge and it's reading about 22psi @ the test valve behind the injectors during idle.
I'm going to take the plenum off this weekend and look for carbon (EGR) and leaks (FPR), but to confirm this 22psi is normal? Or perhaps the pressure is indeed low but not due to pump failure but rather the FPR/spider leaking? I'll let you guys know what I find!

-Mordy
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #15

just thought i should let everyone know that my problem which is stated above was carbon holding the EGR open. it cost me next to nothing to fix and works as good as when i got it.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #16
On Your Sh*t List!

this is THE EXACT SAME think my truck is doing. lol.

so it was the egr?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #17

My truck is doing the same thing, so here we go, mine has been sitting in storage since 1999, so we brought it home (on a trailer). It would not start unless we were squirting gas in the plenum. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, put new gas in it with injector cleaner, replaced airfilter. Ran fine for a whole day, then it started running really rough, so since then I have replaced the EGR, Spark Plugs, Dist. Cap, Rotor, and another fuel filter. Still running like crap and an about to give up! Please help! I am getting no codes on the scanner as well. It is smoking terribly, seems to be running really rich! Also if i pull off #3 and #5 at the same time or seperatly it makes no difference in the way it idles, however if I pull the Vac line off of the Brake booster it revs up and sounds better???? HELP! HELP!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #18

KKanapka, If you don't have any vacuum leaks and you open a vac line the iddle should jump up. Normal....
If your EGR valve's boot is beeing held open due to carbon balled up in it, then it will probable just starve for fuel and choke out when you open a line... but is not a good egr test.

Are you sure that you don't have #5 & #3 reversed at the cap?

Connect a vacuum gauge and run some tests...

Last edited by Bill Wheats; 10-16-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #19

Yes the idle does jump up when I remove the vac line from the brake booster, the EGR is new, I think the spark plug wires are right, I will check, but it has not run any better at all no matter what I do!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #20

mordy if im not mistaken i think your fuel pressure should be between 55 and 60 at idle and i think 60 at key on engine off and if im wrong someone correct me. but yes 22psi at idle is low. my guess would be the fuel pump.

Last edited by blazerguy89; 10-17-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #21
Registered (Ab) User

Kkahabka - Storing for 9 years is a long time. Did you clean or replace the fuel tank? If not, you have prolly gummed up the injectors.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #22

I am going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow. If it is off then replace the fuel pump........again. If it is ok, then tear into the fuel injection....I guess?
K
Old 10-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
Registered (Ab) User

I would do a thorough cleaning or replacement of the fuel tank first.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #24

ok fuel pressure is 58psi at key on and 55-60 at idle, so I think that the fuel pump is working properly!
What is next?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by kkahabka
ok fuel pressure is 58psi at key on and 55-60 at idle, so I think that the fuel pump is working properly!
What is next?
Quote: Originally Posted by Yogi
I would do a thorough cleaning or replacement of the fuel tank first.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #26

I cleaned it really good and replaced all fuel when I did the fuel pump and filter.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #27

Ok so I pulled the fuel injection apart, used carb cleaner on the whole thing and pulled all the poppets and cleand them, put it all back together and same thing! The truck still is missing and I pulled #1 & #3 Spark plugs and no change in the idle. I could not figure out how to get the "main" injector out, does it come out or is it all one piece? HELP! Also FYI the truck seems to run fine from 3500ish all the way to red line, it rev up great, but then dies back out when you let your foot off of it???
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #28
Registered (Ab) User

Sounds like #1 &#3 are dead.

I've never heard of anyone disassembling the spider and poppets. There is a place called Lindertech that will sell you a rebuilt spider though.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #29

I know that you cannot disassemble the poppets and spider, but can the main injector come out and be cleaned?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #30
Registered (Ab) User

The 2 injectors are inside of the spider.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #31

So am I right in suspecting you cannot remove the injector(s)?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #32
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by kkahabka
So am I right in suspecting you cannot remove the injector(s)?
Quote: Originally Posted by Yogi
.......I've never heard of anyone disassembling the spider and poppets. There is a place called Lindertech that will sell you a rebuilt spider though.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #33

why not just get a rebuilt original GM spider for 150?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #34

What was the resolution to this problem? I'm in a similar situation with a vin-Z
Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #35

Unhappy Re: '94 s-10 pickup 4.3 vortec questions... not running right

Um, I am new at this but have a serious problem with my 94' S10 Blazer Tahoe LT 4X4 4.3L V6 Vortec W vin series! It quit on me almost two weeks ago. It will crank and on the rare occassion it will actually start and run but when I shut it off it won't start again for days. I have already replaced the ICM, Ignition relay, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and the computer. Same problem persists! Getting extremely frustrated. When I run the trouble code search it only comes up with 12! I am desperate for any relative advice. Thanks in advance for any help! Also, I have tried other things as per relative posts on this thread and no changes with those either.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #36

Quote: Originally Posted by 94ChvyBlzrOwnr
Um, I am new at this but have a serious problem with my 94' S10 Blazer Tahoe LT 4X4 4.3L V6 Vortec W vin series! It quit on me almost two weeks ago. It will crank and on the rare occassion it will actually start and run but when I shut it off it won't start again for days. I have already replaced the ICM, Ignition relay, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and the computer. Same problem persists! Getting extremely frustrated. When I run the trouble code search it only comes up with 12! I am desperate for any relative advice. Thanks in advance for any help! Also, I have tried other things as per relative posts on this thread and no changes with those either.

July 3, 2011

Ding, Ding! Found my problem! Proceeded to change things with the fuel delivery system and hello, thought I would throw caution to the wind and test the fuel pressure at the regulator and only getting 40! Not good! Anyway, changed the regulator and then moved on to the fuel filter, had to cut and replace lines there too, finally the fuel pump! Well, when we got to the fuel pump we found our problem. The wires inside the tank that provide power to the fuel pump were cooked! They had melted together and the one wire was BARE!!!! Talk about being lucky! Even the plug was seriously melted! So replaced the wiring, pump and screen, put it all back together and finally we have ignition! The last one inside my gas tank was our old mechanic(IN A SHOP OF LEGAL BUSINESS!!), so needless to say it won't EVER be going back there. Sorry for rambling but thanks for all the tips in the old posts!

On the Road Again, Thank God I'm On the Road Again!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #37

alright guys this is the first chevy i have owned it is a 94 chevy s10 blazer it sat for 4-5 years because of a heater core and him wanting a new vehicle so i bought it last weekend knowing someof the minor problems which suck like i fixed the heater core and the brake line has a whole in it. tip make sure brakes work before unloading i crashed into a hill.but i jump started it and drove it home died when i got it in the driveway. then it started barely at all so i figured it was a emergency fuel shutoff tripped but then it started randomly so i changed the spark plugs last night and since then it still will hardly start and when it dont it will back fire and shoot fire out of the front of the intake where the breather hose attaches
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #38
pot or kettle, or both

are the wires on the rotor in the right order? i managed to be "1 off" all the way around and had a similar issue. the 1 plug wire should be next to the screw on the driver's side of the cap, well it's a tad in front of, but basically it's next to.. then it goes 1 6 5 4 3 2 around clockwise. i had a hell of a time with that when i first got mine
Old 10-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #39

im not sure if there not its not from me when i replaced the spark plugs i did it individually and replaced the wire after new one was put on but i heard it could be the intake vavle freezing open
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #40

its alive and stronger then ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.