94 Blazer rough idle~stalling~low power HELP! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

94 Blazer rough idle~stalling~low power HELP!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Angry 94 Blazer rough idle~stalling~low power HELP!

I have a 1994 S10 Blazer, 4 door, 4x4 with the Vortec engine (W). I have been having a problem with it idling rough, rough running at low rpm's and stalling completely when I have to come to a stop. It runs like a top at 60mph but as soon as you let off the gas it starts surging like it is getting fuel then not. Check engine light comes and goes, not always on while having the issue and will be on while it is running fine.
So far we have cleaned the egr valve and intake, cleaned throttle and idle sensor, replaced pvc valve (whiched fixed problem for about 15 miles), replaced fuel filter, checked vacuum lines, and air filter, checked catalytic converter.
It has a new gas tank and sender unit so that is not it.

Any ideas? My next thought is that the car really wants to see what the bottom of the lake looks like!

Last edited by mdfarm; 06-08-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

Re: 94 Blazer rough idle~stalling~low power HELP!

*Throttle position sensor
You can check it with a volt/ohm meter.
Disconnect the connector and read the ohms of the sensor as you move the throttle. It should be a nice linear swing.
Then connect the connector and read voltage across the two leads. +5volts max to almost zero.
Turn the key to run and turn the throttle. It shouldn't have any flat spots or opens.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Wheats
*Throttle position sensor
You can check it with a volt/ohm meter.
Disconnect the connector and read the ohms of the sensor as you move the throttle. It should be a nice linear swing.
Then connect the connector and read voltage across the two leads. +5volts max to almost zero.
Turn the key to run and turn the throttle. It shouldn't have any flat spots or opens.
Thanks Bill. I should have mentioned in my opening plead for help that I know not much about this engine (and I am a girl ). You show me where a part is and tell me what to do, I can manage but not a machanic am I. I quit doing my own stuff when I had to give up my F-150 that still had a carb. and you could just about sit in the engine compartment to do any work. lol I have tried to pick up a manual for this Chevy but every parts place around here always seems to be out.
I will run over to the neighbors and borrow his volt meter. Soon I am just going to drive it to the boat ramp on Cayuga Lake.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #4

Well since your check engine light is coming on, then it will store codes for the reason it came on. This codes don't point directly to the cause, just the symptom. You will need to read the codes and trake the cause. There are many around here that can help with those codes.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/d...-codes-198381/

I was just taking a guess that the TPS was the next thing to check.

Last edited by Bill Wheats; 06-08-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered (Ab) User

Welcome to the Forum, Ms. MDFarm!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

Thanks Yogi!
Tried the code thing by jumping the A and B pins. All I get is the 12 continuously, let it go for about 10 cycles and it never changed. Tried unhooking battery then having another go at it. Same result. Friend put it on their reader a few months back and nothing came up. Thought I had it licked with the PVC valve, ran great for about 15 miles, but right back to where I started. If I could go everywhere at 55-60 + mph I would be just fine.
Well, the horses are getting tired of waiting for their supper. Guess I drive it like it is for another week. Soon as school is out and I am done working for awhile it can go to the shop. I know it is going to be something so simple and stupid that will cost an arm and a leg for them to find.
I will check back here to see if anyone has any other thoughts (other than the lake).
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered (Ab) User

How long has it been since the last tune-up? You may need some new plugs, wires, cap & rotor.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Local Tech

welcome to the forum! id check the codes first, and go from there, but there are many possible solutions..... if you give me a little more background, i can help you.... when it stalls, does it restart no problem? will it ever stall while accelerating? im a service manager at a shop, and im sure i can help, but i need more info.... (and btw, i know plenty of girls that know their stuff)
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm
Autozone has an online repair guide/ manual, pick year make model and go to Electronic Engine Controls
http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c152800bfd49
When you select the TPS it will show you where and how to test.
Could be several other sensors, but this is one you can test with a cheap OHMMETER and know if it is good or not. Some others like CTS are also testable, some just replace, could be bad Idle Air control Valve also, have you taken it off and cleaned / recalibrated, it is near the TPS sensor, it is just to the right of TPS on figure 4 on second link I left.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #10

Little background on car. Car has 125,000 miles on it. Rebuilt engine was put in at 78,000. That is when I got it from my mother (who bought a new car when engine went in this one). Since that time I have replaced... battery, water pump, brakes, exhaust, gas tank, fuel pump/sender, shocks, plugs and wires, pcv valve, coil, starter, air filter and I am sure I am forgetting something. A 'free' car is NEVER free. lol
Ok, this problem started a year and half ago. It was winter and it would not act up until the car had gone about 30 miles or so and was well warmed up. (20 degree weather or less). Almost felt as if it was building up pressure and would sort of surge when I let off the gas. Oil pressure drops and rises with this. I had new wires, plugs, fuel filter, oil change done to see if this cleared it up. As spring warmed up it did it more often, the warmer the day the more bitchy she is. When we changed the muffler and gave the catalytic converter a good rapping it seemed to run better for awhile. Checked the ERG valve and intake, cleaned them well. No change. Changed coil, nope! The longer I run the car the worse it gets. Really dislikes hot weather (been in the 90's for 3 days now). You can smell that it is running rich and also the sulfur smell from the converter. Will restart right after it quits and sometimes even runs decent for a short while. Some days are so bad I have to two foot it at stop signs. Fine while accellarating but as soon as you let up at anything under 60mph it starts it sh#t.
So there you have it. Still think the lake is my best option as I am out of patience and money. lol
Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #11

Lester, thanks for those links... finding some things in this car is like a treasure hunt. The first time I went to change the oil I could not find the filter to save my life. Who thought behind the headlight was a good idea anyway???
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #12

Maybe you ought to check the grounds on this beast, use a Digital Multi Meter to - on battery and bare metal on engine (alternator housing is good) any voltage reading is bad. If does read 0v or as close as possible might try to use a jumper cable to battery - and engine block, make sure it is driveable and wont cause any issues on test drive and test drive the sucker, knew someone with a ranger that had a bad ground and it drove us crazy.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #13

Putting it on the list. I work 11.5 hours a day driving from place to place every 2 hours. As you can imagine it is a real PITA having issues when you have to drive all day. In about two months I plan to buy a new (to me) vechile and then you all can fight over this one. lmao!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #14

Good luck, noticed you didnt mention anything about the lake on this last post, oops, you changed your location and it has lake in it :-)
Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #15

Well, got codes to come up after running it all morning. 32 ~ EGR, have a used good one on the way. 45 ~oxygen sensor... now just have to find it and figure out what I need.
Stealing the neighbors car for the rest of today since it is already above 90 and little car is not happy. He is out doing hay all day anyway, won't even notice his car missing.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by mdfarm
..... You can smell that it is running rich and also the sulfur smell from the converter. Will restart right after it quits and sometimes even runs decent for a short while. Some days are so bad I have to two foot it at stop signs. Fine while accellarating but as soon as you let up at anything under 60mph it starts it sh#t.
So there you have it. Still think the lake is my best option as I am out of patience and money. lol
You have a leaky fuel pressure regulator or a leaky nut kit (fuel lines). The rich condition is a dead giveaway. The O2 code is for a too rich condition too. You have the CPI motor and these are notorious for this problem. Click here for a repair how-to. It used to have lots of pictures, but they're gone now.

Last edited by Yogi; 06-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #17

^^^^Again Yogi beats me to the best conclusion.

You also might want to latter look into the coolant temp sensor for the possibility of being stuck in the cold position???
Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #18

Well, crap! Was hoping it was just some easy plug-in type sensor. The pictures would be helpful since I didn't understand half the parts they were talking about. I so do not want to do this! My usual guy who does all my stuff for me hurt his neck so he is down for awhile. Guess I will break down and take it to the shop.
One thing I did not mention earlier that Bill's comment reminded me of... we replaced the thermostat because the car never warms up in the winter. Have to drive pretty far before you have heat. The new thermostat helped but did not change things drastically. I tell you it is damn cold at -10 degrees in that car. Even this morning it never went above say 190 and it was starting out around 90. So maybe i should check that sensor, or does that even have anything to do with this problem? Lake I tell you! LAKE!!!!
I want my old truck back... take off the air cleaner and there is the carb sitting on top of the motor! No mysteries. Everything right there for you to see and you could name 99 out of a 100.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
kick his ass seabass

get rid of it. seriously.

i have experience with this engine and i had about the same problems. the stalling is probably because of the egr. it can cause it to nearly die and then surge with power. is there a smell of raw gasoline around the vehicle while running? there could possibly be trouble with the fpr(fuel pressure regulator) or spider(injectors).

before you go and do anything and since you say the SES light came on, get the codes scanned first. i wish you luck.

btw, its a crappy design as far as FI goes.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by little-ten
get rid of it. seriously.

i have experience with this engine and i had about the same problems. the stalling is probably because of the egr. it can cause it to nearly die and then surge with power. is there a smell of raw gasoline around the vehicle while running? there could possibly be trouble with the fpr(fuel pressure regulator) or spider(injectors).

before you go and do anything and since you say the SES light came on, get the codes scanned first. i wish you luck.

btw, its a crappy design as far as FI goes.
Don't be so negative. Some things wear out in 125,000 miles. FPR is no big deal. And she already had the codes read. Read her posts!

Sure, the CPI is 14 year old technology, but with minimal repairs, it will be ready for another 125,000 miles.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #21

You mentioned the sulphur smell above, so you have to consider a new cat. A muffler shop can diagnose that problem for you, for free!

So maybe an O2 sensor, EGR valve and a FPR, nut kit or new injectors are in your future!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
Registered (Ab) User

..........Even this morning it never went above say 190 and it was starting out around 90. So maybe i should check that sensor, or does that even have anything to do with this problem? ......
190 is exactly where it is supposed to be. Not a problem.

Quote: Originally Posted by epiphaknee
You mentioned the sulphur smell above, so you have to consider a new cat. A muffler shop can diagnose that problem for you, for free!

So maybe an O2 sensor, EGR valve and a FPR, nut kit or new injectors are in your future!
The O2 code was for a prolonged, rich reading. So there is nothing wrong with the O2 and no need to replace it - just doing its job.

And the EGR code was: "EGR open command did not change the fuel mixture when the command was given during off idle operation." Again, the mixture was too rich and the O2 was not responding to EGR, so it was not a defective EGR, just another indication of the fuel leak inside of the manifold.

And the cat is probably OK too - just being overwhelmed with excess gasoline.

There is no indication at this point that a new injector is needed. A bad injector (Spider) would be causing a lean condition, not rich. Only needs an FPR or nut kit.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #23

Yogi,
Found these pictures... http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=473110

This is what you are talking about me doing? Not that I can't do it, just don't wanna. lol I will have to clean the hell out of the inside once I open it... couldn't stand to put it back together if it was not shiny in there. I did search around and this does seem to be a major problem with this engine. Anyone live in the area??

I figured the same thing about the egr and the O2 sensor, must still be good if the are doing their job. They would have been too simple. Ok, so I need a parts list. Figure i will do the dist. cap while it is apart. Wish this was a week from now when I will have more time. Guess I have to be nice to the neighbor so I can steal his car all week, he will be in the feilds on a tractor anyway.

When I sell this car later this summer someone is going to get a good deal. Only things left that are not new in the last 20,000 miles will be the transmission (runs great knock on wood) and the altanator. Unless they want AC which I never had charged and have no clue if it would work. Don't use it even if I have it.

BTW ~ Thank you everyone for being so nice and helping me out with this. Been driving everyone nuts because they could not get a reading. The SES light comes on but then goes out again, never on when you want it to be. I drove it till it came on and then pulled over right there and checked the codes.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #24

It really isn't to much work to disconnect everything and pop the cover to see what it needs.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #25

Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Wheats
It really isn't to much work to disconnect everything and pop the cover to see what it needs.
When I was a teen in NJ, hanging with all the muscleheads working on Mustangs, Novas, Chevals and such, it was fun. A big plus back then was hanging out with the guys and going to Front Street or Atco to watch them drag. Now that I am pushing 40 I just want the damn thing to run and don't want to get my hands dirty. Not to mention the 13 horses and 72 acres that eat up all my non work time and it is hay season and final exams for all my students over the next two weeks. Was just really hoping for something less time consuming. I know, I am whining. Just wish it had waited two more weeks to sh#t the bed.
Those pictures make it look not too bad, I mean it is not like having to swap out a transmission or anything, everything is right there on top. Had to replace everything from the water pump out on my truck when it seized up and blew through the radiator, can't be any worse than that right?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #26
Registered (Ab) User

Yep, that's it. Those are some pretty good pictures. When you open it, you should notice that one side will be cleaner than the other. This is due to "washing" of the leaking fuel. This will tell you where the leak is - either fuel press. reg. on the passenger side or nut kit on the driver's side.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you in more ways than one! Good luck!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #27

Well, parts are on their way. Could not get anything local that was not 50% higher in price. Got to love living in the boonies. Should have everything by Monday so hopefully Tuesday will be the day. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
Need work done?

I have this same problem happening right now i was going to replace the fpr today but none of the parts stores around me sell it....i had a 95 sonom that had the same problem, ended up trading it off cause i spent 1200 dollars on a shop to fix it when i could of done everything he did. Teaches me that just because you take it to a shop doesnt man its gonna come out running right!!! But MD..hope this blazer gets fixed i will replace mine soon if mine works ill come back on here and let you guys know. This is what i was thinking it was but i didnt wanna spend money on parts that are not gonna fix it.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #29

Gosh you sound about as lucky as me with the Blazer. Mine acted like that right before my timing chain and gear went. I couldn't get any power out of it and it would cough, sputter, stall and all that good stuff. This happened 3 months after I dropped $2200 into it for a blown head. Wish it would have went all at once and I would have bought a new motor. Didn't know what the problem was until it just quit. Now I am replacing the camshaft and the damn thing won't start. Just thought I would drop that one out there cause it sounds a lot like what mine did. GOOD LUCK. I have seriously considered hunting a deer with mine just to total it out and be rid of it.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #30
Need work done?

Hey havent seen any other responses i replaced my FPR yesterday it seems to of helped it, It doesnt die at redlights anymore. It still has a funny idle but just very small, i think i am gonna replace the nut kit next, hopefully that will take care of the small idle problem...who knows with the mysterious ghosts of this engine.....i just wann drop a 502 in it and be done...lol yeah i can afford that...lol
Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #31

You must speak slowly and clearly and use the big words... My brain is so burnt, from 6 straight weeks of working with special ed students eleven hours a day, that I can not even come up with anything for FPR.
I have everything all torn apart (did it last night) and am about to go finish cleaning everything up and then put it all back together. So far I have only lost two T30 bits and a 1/4 socket (my helpful neighbor dropped that one). Have to find my handy telescoping magnet to retrieve them.
There were two small clean spots, one under the regulator and one on the top of the driverside line in the nut kit. Not as telling as I would have hoped. Lots of carbon build up behind EGR. If after all this it does not run right it is definately the lake for her!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
Registered (Ab) User

FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #33

Thanks Yogi! Makes total sense now. lol

Taking a break before I break something! The only major problems I have had with this whole thing is first the rotor seemed to want to stay with the car forever. Finally convinced it to come off. I have everything back on/replaced except the one screw on the cap does not want to bite. Thinking there is enough that comes through the bottom to put a little nut on there. Very frustrating when I am ready to put the top of the plenum back on and that little scew is holding me up! GRRRR!
Should have seen the filth in this thing! (going to be girlie here) The little turny flap thing, on the top cover between the two sides, could not even move. I am sure that had nothing to do with any of my problems. lol
Oh well, off to the neighbors to find a little nut. Going to rig this thing so I can get finished and see if it runs. If not... guess I am going boating
Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
Registered (Ab) User

.....The little turny flap thing, on the top cover between the two sides, could not even move. I am sure that had nothing to do with any of my problems. lol ......
Flap thing?? now you have me puzzled.

You're having trouble with that screw because the dizzy is plastic!! Click here for more info.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #35

Yogi, are you calling me dizzy???
Car is all finished!! Back together and running like a top! Took a ride down to town and back (20 miles) and everything is great. The two little T30 bits are forrever a part of her, tried blowing them out form every angle but no such luck. Didn't have the T30 allen wrench type thing so I improvised with a small rachet and a 1/4 inch socket. Worked well for put it back in but taking the old one out was a bitch. Found everything else that fell down into sheilds and such. No left over parts in the end. That is always a good thing.

Got the whole kit from this guy http://stores.ebay.com/Thepartsladi for $300 for everything. The nut kit was AC Delco but did not come with the little torc wrench. I made due. Good thing I had a supply of the bits. lol

Thank you everyone for all your help. If I can do this by myself then anyone can do it. Off to work I go... in my own car!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #36
Registered (Ab) User

Do you mean this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...4229QQtcZphoto

Looks like a pretty good deal for $300. Nice find!! Did that include a new FPR?

I'm glad that we saved another Blazer from the lake! It wasn't so bad after all, was it?

Congrats on a job well done!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #37

Congrads on saving ~$1200 and getting it done right on your own.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #38

Yogi, yes that is the one. Was a good find after pricing everything seperately it was a big savings. And no FPR. :P The flap thing, inside the upper plenum is right under the round thing which is on top of the plenum under the Vortec cover. Can't find it online.
Bill, thanks. Nice to have my own car back.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #39
Registered (Ab) User

Oh, I see. That flap thingy. That would probably be the throttle body! Pretty dirty, huh?

All is well that ends well!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #40

Well now that you've got that fixed, realize that from the intake forward you probably have some carbon build up from running rich. Doing the Seafoam thing to the break vacuum line might not be a bad idea (don't add it to your oil). But you should take if for a good run (don't baby it) and get it hot to blow all that carbon build up.

Once that is done, the exhust fumes shouldn't smell of gas and should be pretty clean. If it blows black smoke after ~100 miles then you have more issues.

Congrads
Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
Need work done?

Well well glad yours is running right, mine did for about a day, after replacing the fuel pressure regulator and intake manifold gasket, now it doesnt run rich but cuts off just as much. Sitting at a redlight it just shuts off...i am gonna try the nut kit next god i am about to bring mine up to your lake...i hate this bitch....damn cpi engine...oh well next part.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #42

Well, she is still running great. No bad smells, no rough idle, no losing power, no stalling... and I whooped on her ass for two days! Got to love the old land grant territory, long straight roads! She is running so smooth now that every time I come to a stop I think it has stalled idles so smooth and is so quiet. I ran all over yesterday looking for Elmo stuff for a 3 yo birthday party, put about 125 miles on just trying to find Elmo and a firetruck Got gas part way through the day and have 102 miles on that tank and needle is still a hair above the 3/4 mark. Big improvement.

Drag ~ there is a link to the kit I bought a few posts up. Might as well change it all while you in there. Price it seperately and it is a huge difference. Just remember these lakes are over 500ft deep in places... so if you need the carcass for insurance purposes becareful where you put it in. Oh and enjoy that little F*%king screw in the nut kit.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #43
Registered (Ab) User

It is always great to hear back from a satisfied customer. So glad that your problem is fixed!!

Thanks for taking the time to post your results!!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #44
Need work done?

I am glad yours is running fine i have been driving mine for a couple of days now...it doesnt smell bad it just stalls so yeah im gonna replace the nut kit i already looked at the loks..maybe one day ill fix it... lol but congrats on your blazer!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #45

Thought I would give an update. I got 22mpg out of the first tank I ran through after the fix. (was lucky to get 15 before) They were rough miles, having made two trips down to a very steep hilly area with lots of curves and dirt roads. Also two trips to the "city" with stop and go traffic. It will be interesting to see what I get just hanging around up here on the flats.
Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #46
Registered (Ab) User

Thanks for the update!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #47
dak

My 02 4.3 s10 is doing the asme thing yours blazers was doing. Does anybody know it if could be the same thing?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #48
Registered (Ab) User

GM started the '02 model year building 4.3s with poppet injectors, which cause the same problems. Click here for more info. However, somewhere during the '02 model year, they switched production from the poppet injectors (SCPI) to MPFI. So, for an '02, it depends on which model of FI your truck has. If it has the poppet style injectors, you could have the same problem. If you have the MPFI, your problem is most likely somewhere else.

There is probably some way to identify which style you have by the VIN or something, but I've never seen it. The only way that I know of to identify the injection system is to pull off the upper plenum. Click here for a thread with info on how to convert to MPFI.

Last edited by Yogi; 06-29-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #49
dak

Hey man thanks alot!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #50
Registered (Ab) User

No prob.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.