92 chevy 4.3 rough start - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

92 chevy 4.3 rough start

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
92 chevy 4.3 rough start

1992 blazer 4.3 2wd; when the truck sits over night or for just a few hours i have to crank it for awhile to start and i all most have to force it to start. But when the truck sits for about ten minutes it starts right up. Also when im stopped the truck surges after about 1min of being stopped. so far i replaced plugs,cap rotor, i just put high flow cat and exhaust, also clean egr valve and fuel filter. someone please help!!!!! im lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #2

Re: 92 chevy 4.3 rough start

Have you tested your fuel pressure?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #3

Sounds like your idle air vavle is dirty or bad. it screws into the pass side of your tbi.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:24 PM   #4

i have not tried the fuel pressure but someone told me that if its a little off the truck runs like sh--t. bhut i will start with both ideas thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Clean N' Dark

IAC valve is only in operation when the truck is running and maintains the idle so that won't be your problem.

Sounds like you have a bad check valve letting fuel go back into the tank instead of maintaining a prime right at the engine.

That or you have a poor CPI unit if you have a CPI engine.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:28 PM   #6

where would i look for the check valve.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
Clean N' Dark

sending unit
Old 01-23-2004, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by BlazerLT
IAC valve is only in operation when the truck is running and maintains the idle so that won't be your problem.

Sounds like you have a bad check valve letting fuel go back into the tank instead of maintaining a prime right at the engine.

That or you have a poor CPI unit if you have a CPI engine.
Uhm IAC IS in operation while the truck is starting otherwise you would have a choke and you would have to push the gas to get it to start.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Clean N' Dark

Direct quote from shop manual:

"The Idle Air Control valve controls engine idle speed. The IAC motor reacts to voltage pulses from the ECM to move the pintle a given distance in and out for each pulse. The is movement controls air flow around the throttle plate, in turn determining engine idle speed while the engine is in operation."

I myself have had to replace a defective IAC valve which didn't affect the starting whatsoever. All it did was cause and erratic and unstable idle that sometimes would lock out at 1200rpm.

What acts like an electronic choke for the 4.3L is the coolant temperature sensor which when reading a cold coolant temperature, richens up the fuel mixture while the coolant is cold. When it warm up, it sends a signal to the computer to lean out the mixture for normal operation.

What this gentleman is having is a fuel problem where his fuel pressure bleeds off due to a fuel line leak or a defective check valve allowing the fuel to bleed back into the tank. This in turn causes the several seconds of cranking to regain the lost fuel pressure in the main line.

Last edited by BlazerLT; 01-23-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.