4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
V8 Member

User is: OffLine
4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

Hey guys, I did this project the other day. Took about three hours of taking my time, not bad. the line going from the oil filter to the radiator/oil cooler is by far easy. the hardest part is getting the plate that mounts to the adapter where the oil filter should go between the front diff. and the block. to save ya some headache... get ya a jack and some pieces of wood jack up on the oil pan to about where you lift the truck.. your pretty much going to flex the eng. mounts up. youll get just enuff to get the hose all the way out. the bolt holding the lines to the block is a 10mm too by the way. have about two and half feet worth of extensions too.. and a swivel right after the socket.
when i first bought the truck they were leaking a little.. just enuff to make dust stick to everything.. now it was a nice drip once and a while. got fed up with it

This is how bad this thing was leaking. GM only crimped the line two times. to where as the new lines are grimmed three times and a different way too. rummor is it holds.

: you can also see that POS air manifold injection system .

pretty nasty under there. i think i have a power steering leak too... but not sure.. so hopefully after this install i can tell.

didnt know that a simple little E clip holds in such a important line.... theres the clip on the radiator hose...

one of the new lines

this is the line going from the oil filter to the radiator where the oil cooler is.

the project isnt hard at all. use anti seize on your bolts that hold the mounting plates up. the dealership/GM didnt and they were a little siezed on there. its a messy job thats for sure... and be sure to check the oil after doing all this.. youll be about a quart or so down.

have any questins feel free to ask

btw way this was on my 2000 GMC 4wd Jimmy
the parts are the ones from napa about 80 bucks for the two.
hope this helped you guys out

Chris

Last edited by the_dubster98; 12-08-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Gaaoooooo

Re: 4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

Yup mine look exactly like that on my 97, I get a drop pool the size of a quarter or so if its left overnight or a few days, I should do them soon. So both sets, remote filter to oil cooler and remote to engine were $80 total from NAPA? Only thing I don't like about what you did was stressing the motor mounts, they tear easily without extending them like that, but we'll see how it goes. Nice little writeup by the way.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
V8 Member

yeah.. they might be a little more thou.. cause i go into napa all the time for various things and sometimes i go in uniform.. so i think he gives me a cheaper price..

as far as the eng. mounts... yeah but about 30-45 minutes of trying to figure it out.. i got aggrivated.. said **** it.. the mounts didnt take all the weight of the blazer maybe moved up a 1/4 inch or so

id def. recommend it if you can and have the time.. a guy here at work just had one blow apart on his 01 blazer.. lucky his warranty covered it.. so fresh motor for him.. shit happens i reckon!

Chris
Old 12-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #4

haha memories - 2 summers ago at pismo dunes my 2" body lift and 31" tires didn't help much in terms of clearance. i ended up smacking the front end on some rutted out bumps....then the engine over heated...went up to pop the hood but noticed oil draining near the filter....turns out i cracked the front set of lines at the filter. no one in town had this set. we let it drain, cleaned it up, and got home with some jb weld and jesus. finally got a new set of lines from the chevy dealer at home. i do notice the rear lines on mine seem to have the same leak and I'll probalby have to do those real soon myself...anyway good stuff, thanks for posting tips and pics.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
V8 Member

anytime fellas, i figured id post something worth mentioning.. and not have another "my girlfriend" thread... i just wish i took more pics of just how messy it was underneith. now i just have dried up oil/sand mix.. hoping for another decent day so i can spray it down and put the cover back on it..
Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #6

Great write up. I was not able to take many picts had too much of a mess and did not want to get my camera dirty. I used the jack handle to pry the motor out of the way to make room for the lines. So far so good fingers crossed.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
V8 Member

hey by anychance did you notice a little bit more oil pressure? i dont see how the new lines could increase the preusre but i can swear theres 5-10 lbs more depending if at idle or cruising down the road.. maybe its just me..
Old 12-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #8

does anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the line to the motor?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
V8 Member

10mm im pretty sure that was the size
Old 12-24-2005, 08:08 PM   #10

yes, your right. It is the 10mm for the bolt into te block and 14mm for the bolt at each end of the lines.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #11

Thumbs up Re: 4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

Thanks for the information! I just purchased the oil filter to radiator line, but I don't see how the aluminum tubing seals to the radiator fitting. Is there an O ring inside? If so, did you replace? Like you said, it's hard to believe that a little E clip holds such an important line... Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
V8 Member

thats it.. just that e clip.. i think the way the flare is.. makes the sealing surface... it works how ever it seals.. no leaks or anything so far
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #13

Hey man, I just ordered my lines from O'Reilly's 77 bucks w/o any discount. Maybe I need to get my buddy a 6 pack so I can get his 20%. Thanks again bro. If I have any trouble, guess who I'm gonna ask. Haha.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
V8 Member

hey man thats why i did the post! i dont helping ya out

when ya get your new ones make sure they are triple crimped
Old 01-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
SS turbo

hey Dub, im doing this tommorow on my 00 4x4, i was just wondering how you took the lines off the blocks, do you mean that with the 2+ft worth of extensions you snake from the front of the block? I got the Dorman brands, 65 bucks for the two at my napa. ---thank you
Old 01-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #16

I just did this the other day. So far so good. The way I got to the line was from the front right under the front bumper. Snaked it above the 2 aluminum lines. I used about 2 ft of extensions and a shallow socket with a swivel right behind it.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #17
V8 Member

Quote: Originally Posted by viper500hcp
hey Dub, im doing this tommorow on my 00 4x4, i was just wondering how you took the lines off the blocks, do you mean that with the 2+ft worth of extensions you snake from the front of the block? I got the Dorman brands, 65 bucks for the two at my napa. ---thank you

are you referrig to the little hose clamp that goes into the block to hold the lines from rattling? its a tight fit but im pretty sure i used a wrench. i didnt reinstall it back in cause i didnt feel like cuttting my finger again .. that and it was a biatch to get out
as far as the one in the very back where the oil filter should be.. its about 2ft of extensions then a universal then the socket.. works good make sure your under neither to make sure its on the bolt head as much as ya can get.. def. dont wanna round that head off..

hope that helped some take your time and dont rush..
Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #18
SS turbo

cool, thank you. i did a dry run today, looks fairly straight forward. just gotta find my extensions
Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
S-series abuser

Is everyone using the replacement lines made by Dorman. I just did these on a buddy of mines truck and i thought the lines seemed kinda cheap. Just hope they hold up pretty good.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
V8 Member

that the company napa sells? i forgot what mine where.. but they are no cheaper i think then what gm made theirs.. these are just tripple crimped..
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #21

They sell that brand a lot of places. Mine came in a clear wrapper with a black and orange tag at the top that said something like. Dorman OE Solutions or some such shit. They are tripple crimped. Hey, dubster I did notice a little increase in pressure. Question though...what does your pressure read on average when you are in gear, but at a complete stop. After you've been driving a while, not right after startup? Any idea?

Here is a link to the Dorman site and the line, might not take you to the line though.
Dorman OE Solutions

Last edited by adaman04; 01-05-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:30 AM   #22
V8 Member

if my mind surves me right at start up im prtty close to 60 then going down the road around 45 or so.. idle it goes down to about 30 roughly.. dont hold me to that ill look today on my way to work
Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #23
SS turbo

ok, i got the cooler lines in, pretty damn easy

but the other line, i didnt have a swivel, so i was no go on that but just to make sure im doin this right, the bolt holding the lines to that adapter on the block and by the filter is a 14mm right? but the smaller bolt holding the lines togethr towards the front of the block, what size is that? its a pain in the butt to get that- Thanx
Old 01-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
loco hombre

Quote: Originally Posted by the_dubster98
hey by anychance did you notice a little bit more oil pressure? i dont see how the new lines could increase the preusre but i can swear theres 5-10 lbs more depending if at idle or cruising down the road.. maybe its just me..
Same thing I noticed - but I'll attest to the fact that it was just me watching the gauges like a hawk after replacing them. Didn't change mine at all.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
tastes like burning

ok, i know for a fact that the bolts that hold the lines to the oil filter adaptor and the oil filter mount are 13mm headed bolts. a 14mm might work, but if they are stuck, you could round them off pretty quick. the only way they would be different is if someone replaced them. we replace these things on a weekly basis at my dealership. and yes, the gm ones suck bad. to get at the line bracket that bolts to the block, i just use my 1/4" air ratchet with a shallow socket on it. i know, its nice to have air tools at your disposal. i did notice one difference that i didn't like about the cooler lines that you guys purchased. they have no plastic retainer to keep the e-clip in place. those little things can lose their spring over time and can rattle off. gm didn't put them on from the factory until 2000/2001 or newer. all the gm replacement lines have them on the pipes and it is cheap insurance. as for the fitting on the rad, they have an o-ring inside the fitting. don't try to replace them, they don't need to be. as for the rear filter adaptor bolt, i use a 30" 3/8 drive extension with a 13mm swivel socket on the end. i use a large pry bar to move the engine to the pass side to get the lines in and out. BE VERY CAREFUL when you jack the engine up if you do it this way. if you put too much pressure on the pan, you can break it!!! i have seen people tow in there rigs from trying to do it this way. hope this will clear up any confusion.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #26
V8 Member

thanks for the info "ihatecars" how much do you guys usually charge for this service? and when i jacked my engine up it wasnt much ... just enuff to clear that head...but i placed a piece of wood between the jack head and the oil pan...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #27
tastes like burning

for employee's we charge an hour labor to replace both. for a customer, we charge an hour for each line. there is no set labor time unless it is repaired under warrenty. and as you might expect, our labor rate just went from $89.95/hour to $94.95/hour. damndest thing about it is i only see $13.00 of that hourly rate. sux.
as long as your displacing the weight of the engine with the wood, you will be better off. if you put the jack directly on the oil pan, your just asking for it!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #28

Oil pressure is about on par with mine it seems like. Just wanting to make sure mine wasn't off. As for the jacking it up with the oil pan, I was kind of leery myself. My buddy put the jack under there and I was like AHHHH! He is pretty car savvy, and thats what he went to school for. I was really careful in raising and lowering it, because the last thing I wanted to see, was the jack going up through the bottom of the pan.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #29
SS turbo

IHEARTCARS, your an asset to this board man, i used a 14mm for the Cooler line bolts, and that worked, werent too tight to get off, but i wasnt paying attention (whoops ) so ill use a 13mm for the other ones. thank you, oh and my lines (the dormans) did have a round plastic cup shape that cliped over the eclips, the stock one had nothing over the eclips, and there were on there for atleast 25,000miles (bought her used)

and maybe i missed this, but what size was the bolt were the bracket attaches to the block, i also didnt think of using a 1/4 socket at the time, my 3/8"wouldnt fit - no room to turn it,- so thanx for that tip

Last edited by viper500hcp; 01-06-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #30
S-series abuser

Quote: Originally Posted by IHEARTCARS
i did notice one difference that i didn't like about the cooler lines that you guys purchased. they have no plastic retainer to keep the e-clip in place. those little things can lose their spring over time and can rattle off. gm didn't put them on from the factory until 2000/2001 or newer.
The Dorman lines i installed did have a plastic ring that clipped around the horseshoe looking clips for the lines. At first i wasnt sure what they were there for but i figured it out once i popped the lines in.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:58 AM   #31
V8 Member

so i went to the dealership for a front suspension noise andwell out of curiousity i asked them to right up a guess-ta-ment and well they wanted 750 dollars! i about shit myself and asked them if they were serious, thats just too much for me anyways. im def. glad i did the project myself.

yeah them plastic clips i had no clue what they were for.. thought it was osmething for when they made them. so they went into the trash.. hope they arent too important OOOPS
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #32

I just did both sets of lines on my 98 4x4 Blazer. It was a bitch. Oil has been leaking for awhile and the buildup of oil is like cake. The only bolt I didn't put back in was the one that holds the lines in place to keep the lines from the block to remote filter from rattling just like The_Dubster98 did. My question is, should that bolt be in or is it ok to leave it out?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #33
tastes like burning

i would definetly put it back in there. when the engine torques up and to the pass side, the rubber in the lines is there to allow the movement. if the lines are not held tight, the fiting end can start to flex with the engine instead of the rubber hose. if you leave it go long enough, not sure how long it would take, the fitting could get worn and start leaking, then its back to doing it all over again. i don't think it will matter on how you drive, with the rubber engine mounts always separating on these trucks, you will have engine movment even if you are nice to it.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #34
tastes like burning

yeah them plastic clips i had no clue what they were for.. thought it was osmething for when they made them. so they went into the trash.. hope they arent too important OOOPS[/quote]

if nothing else, get some tie straps and zip one around that clip in the fitting so it can't pop off. then, you'll be fine. duct tape will work too, but it may not last too long with the engine temp.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #35

Quote: Originally Posted by IHEARTCARS
i would definetly put it back in there. when the engine torques up and to the pass side, the rubber in the lines is there to allow the movement. if the lines are not held tight, the fiting end can start to flex with the engine instead of the rubber hose. if you leave it go long enough, not sure how long it would take, the fitting could get worn and start leaking, then its back to doing it all over again. i don't think it will matter on how you drive, with the rubber engine mounts always separating on these trucks, you will have engine movment even if you are nice to it.

Thanks for the input. If this weekend is nice, I will be going to the car wash and clean the underside. The lines must have been leaking for a long time because it's a mess under there. I'll just try putting the bolt back in after that.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #36

Question about all you guys moving your engines around with a jack. I bought '93 Blazer last year and when I was under there the other day, I noticed that the engine was chained to the front cross member. This isn't a standard practice is it? Haven't checked the motor mounts yet, but I'm wondering if some prior owner or mechanic did this because of weak motor mounts. Anybody else have their engine chained? The engine doesn't show any vibration at all, so I'm guessing it helps.

Sparks a flyin'

Last edited by sparks383iroc; 03-06-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #37

where did all those pictures go? I'm having the same problem with my lines on a 92 S-10 Blazer.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #38

Is this what the oil cooler lines look like? I think my sister-in-law's 95 Jimmy is leaking from them. It's dripping oil up near the front bumper.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #39

about seven years ago my daughter had her 91 s10 (4x4 4.3 W/remote oil cooler ) about 45 minutes from our home when she called me and said oil was pouring out from under the engine----i told her to check the dipstick and it was not reading, and then i told her NOT to drive the blazer, but to stay there and i would be over in the morning to check things out----well, about 2 hrs later i am asleep in bed when she pulls into the driveway and the valves popping woke me up!!!! i was not a happy camper---anyway, after all was said and done and fixed there was no apparent damge to this engine---it now has 216,000 miles on it and runs like a top--the remote oil adapter o-ring/gasket failed and oil was still poring out when i got out of bed to check things out, and try to figure out a womans mind as to why she would do such a thing??---anyway, i got a new gasket and oring and attempted to gain access to the nut holding the adapter, but after an hour i just gave up and took it to my mechanic and they did the job with no problem---after reading these threads i would probably attempt this knowing what i know now--

i have some oil leaks at the press fittings (from rubber to steel lines) just below the remote oil filter---is there any reason why i could not dremel grind these press fittings off and replace the hoses using double ss clamps at both ends??
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #40

^ I don't own a 4x but my ST came with a cooler. Mine started to leak
so I've pulled the lines off. But for those who need the lines, Rock Auto
sells Dorman lines at pretty good prices. I have to say the clamp deal
may not be such a good idea and cold oil has a lot of pressure and
may blow the lines apart. For the price of the lines at Rock, it might
just be better to replace em, or go steel braid..>

I'll use Mint's 97 as an example..Just hit "more info"
for a pic of the lines and then compare prices to Napa.

1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER Engine Oil Cooler Hose Assembly

Here's an assy for a 92 Blaz a member was asking about. Like
mentioned, these are Dorman hoses and fittings.
Really can't beat Rock's prices. Fast shipping too.

1992 CHEVROLET S10 BLAZER Engine Oil Cooler Hose Assembly

HTH's
bg
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #41
bling bling like WHOA

I replaced mine with dorman lines from rock auto last year, last month I noticed that one of the two lines is starting to leak.. So I don't think they hold up any longer than the original two crimp GM ones.

will give it another try just incase, but if it leaks again within a year I am just removing them.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #42

I just took the 2 bolts from the adapter on the block out and pulled the lines out with the adaprter still on . Took about 15 mins to change both liines. no more leaky mmmmmm guiness
Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #43

Unhappy Re: 4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

I just had the o-ring and gasket replaced under the plate at the base of the engine, a few months back, at the bottom of the set of lines that run from the remote oil filter adapter to the engine... but the mechanic didn't say the lines needed to be replaced. After I got my 94 s10 blazer 4x4 home, I noticed the front differential seal was leaking diff. fluid. I had to replace this because it was leaking badly. Is it possible that when they did the o-ring and gasket under the plate that lifting the engine caused the front diff seal leak? Now I'm being told by another mechanic to replace the lines that go to the engine from the oil filter adapter. I am hesitant because I am afraid that they will screw up my newly fixed front differential seal. Is this possible? Is the front diff in the way when removing and replacing the oil cooler lines?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #44

No they are not in the way.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #45

Question Re: 4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

Hello all,

Im new to this forum but figured that since I have been having so many problems with my s10 that I would try and get some good advice. I have a 2000 S10 zr2 pickup 4.3 v6. It has 68000 miles and since buying it the heater core has gone out as did the alternator and all 4 ball joints and idler arm and now, I think, these hoses.
A few months back while changing the oil I noticed that they had oil built up on them and I figured it was a leak but didn't do anything about it. Two days ago while driving home from work I stopped to pick up my mail and noticed a small drop of oil behind my front driver's side tire. Upon further investigation-my tires were turned all the way left- I noticed oil on the inside of my tire as well as on the shock, cv, and brake lines, alll in all a big mess. So I parked it, checked the oil and it was at least a quart low.
So that being said, I am assuming it is the hoses leading up towards the block on the drivers side. I removed the skid plate and there was no oil around the filter.
What do you all think? SHould I attempt to replace these myself? Does it sound like that could be it?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #46
"factory freak"...

could be. the oil cooler lines are a common source of leaks.
also check power steering system too.
remove the front "skid" plate under the remote oil filter, and
let the truck run while looking for the leak. make sure the truck is
thoroughly secured, so it cant roll over you....

Last edited by Crew Cab Sonoma; 03-26-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #47

Smile Re: 4wd Oil filter/cooler oil line replacement

Does anyone here happen to have a sort of picture walk through of the replacement process and maybe a list of tools I will need? I have to replace both lines (radiator and block). Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #48

How did you guys get the lines out? I can not get the end to fit between the dif. and the motor mounts to pull them out the front. Need Help.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #49
Unregistered User

You need to disconnect the crossbolt that goes through the mount and jack up the engine to get them out (not in that order)

Its the only way unless the stock mount is already broken
Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #50

how hard can you jack up th oil pan? I think i twisted the lines ! What way should the oil flow coming from the block? picture please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.