4.3 vortec tall valve covers needed - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4.3 vortec tall valve covers needed

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #1

4.3 vortec tall valve covers needed

engine is almost ready but need covers for full roller rockers, only found one for $300. OUCHHHH can anyone help?
for the gear heads who want specs, full roller, screw stud conversion, guide plates, compucam need to pass sniffer( DARN IT). .060 over, perfect seal rings, ceramic coat pistons, splayed 4 bolt modification. ported polished , tubular headers and y-pipe, over sized cat, rest of exhaust stock. all aluminum rediator with electric fans, better oil cooler with fan and thermostat oil control, brass screw ins for those stupid leaky gm oil cooler lines. cross drilled rotors, stainless flex lines. anyone make a multi piston caliper for s-10? rebuilt hi-perf trans, future add on super charger. and probably junk i forgot to list too.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

User is: OffLine
Re: 4.3 vortec tall valve covers needed

What rockers are you running? The edelbrock ones will clear comp promagnums, and probably all of the other roller rockers, as long as you don't have stud girdles(i think that is what they are called) you should be all set. Or, you can get some metal covers off of an older 4.3 for about $30 chromed on ebay, that is what i run over my pro magnum rockers.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
Blown ex ***

all that stuff, with the stock cat back ???

take those brass plugs out. look in the "how to" room, for my thread on removing the lines. its easy, free, and GM does it stock.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #4

no i am changing to higher flow cat, like i said may have for got some things. need to figue out rest of exhaust and loose the 100 pound muffler sometime soon.

LMAO use older valve covers!!!!! vortecs are center bolt covers, older are perimeter bolted. i may just weld a box cover if nothing else until i find better.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by Remington
engine is almost ready but need covers for full roller rockers, only found one for $300. OUCHHHH can anyone help?
for the gear heads who want specs, full roller, screw stud conversion, guide plates, compucam need to pass sniffer( DARN IT). .060 over, perfect seal rings, ceramic coat pistons, splayed 4 bolt modification. ported polished , tubular headers and y-pipe, over sized cat, rest of exhaust stock. all aluminum rediator with electric fans, better oil cooler with fan and thermostat oil control, brass screw ins for those stupid leaky gm oil cooler lines. cross drilled rotors, stainless flex lines. anyone make a multi piston caliper for s-10? rebuilt hi-perf trans, future add on super charger. and probably junk i forgot to list too.
ok i did list over sized cat i even underlined it for you
Old 02-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #6

no i am changing to higher flow cat, like i said may have for got some things. need to figue out rest of exhaust and loose the 100 pound muffler sometime soon.

LMAO use older valve covers!!!!! vortecs are center bolt covers, older are perimeter bolted. i may just weld a box cover if nothing else until i find better.
actually, the newer vortec covers are plastic, and the older oines are metal(and taller), the metal ones are still centerbolt, the perimeter valve covers are the really old ones, pre 85/85
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

Please reaserch before making posts like these. You didn't answer any of my questions. If you want to pay 300 for valve covers please be my guest, i was just trying to save you some money.

Either of these will work with tall polly locks, like the comp pro magnums, or crane roller rockers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENTE...spagenameZWDVW
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...5&autoview=sku
They sure look like center bolt covers to me.

As for multipiston caplipers, look into the newer blazers, i think they have a 2 piston caliper. I don't know what all needs to be changed, probably spindle, at the least.

What year is this truck? If it is obd2 it has a high flow cat from the factory.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by rat
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...5&autoview=sku
They sure look like center bolt covers to me.
As for multipiston caplipers, look into the newer blazers, i think they have a 2 piston caliper. I don't know what all needs to be changed, probably spindle, at the least.
What year is this truck? If it is obd2 it has a high flow cat from the factory.
the covers from summit are for '93 earlier i need for 96, found dual piston calipers as a change over kit already at summit. i have 170,000 on factory cat needs to be replaced with new motor.
have a few people trying to find me a good stainless welder to make me a set of covers, then a real nice shiny buff job will get them shining.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

the covers from summit are for '93 earlier i need for 96, found dual piston calipers as a change over kit already at summit. i have 170,000 on factory cat needs to be replaced with new motor.
have a few people trying to find me a good stainless welder to make me a set of covers, then a real nice shiny buff job will get them shining.
Both the ebay ones, and the edelbrock ones i listed will fit your '96. I run the ebay ones on my 2000. It clears the air conditioning, and alternator. They are taller than the stock plastic ones. You will need valve cover gaskets for a truck that came with them, so go to the autoparts store and ask for say '91 valve cover gaskets. You will also need new bolts, they are 1/4-20, can't remember the length.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #10

i have the metal covers and they will not fit over the roller rockers, interesting enough the rockers have no name at all, place i ordered heads from installed the rollers. jeez glad i didn't go for the stud girdle would be even a bigger pain.
thanks for help just not getting the right covers. getting frustrated now i may have to delay install for a pair of stupid valve covers. or go with spacers and risk leaks and mess up my look with the chrome and ss hoses
Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

Did you cut the baffles out of the covers? I had to do that to get them to fit. Maybe try a shorter poly lock if that is what is hitting?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #12

cut baffles will check that outif it gives me that last bit needed for clearance
Old 04-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #13

What rockers are you running? The edelbrock ones will clear comp promagnums, and probably all of the other roller rockers, as long as you don't have stud girdles(i think that is what they are called) you should be all set. Or, you can get some metal covers off of an older 4.3 for about $30 chromed on ebay, that is what i run over my pro magnum rockers.

Can you tell me what Edelbrock valve covers ya'll are refering to? Item #?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #14

What Edelbrock valve covers are you refering to? and do you have the part #?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

These..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4252/

SCE also makes a 1/4" thick gasket that will give you a bit more room with the above.
I believe most gaskets are 5/16" or 1/8" thick. These are about the thickest I've
read about.

http://www.scegaskets.com/Chevrolet/...-p6597957.html

They also have them for 18 degree heads.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #16

Thanks Boss, for the info. Do you know if I should run the 18 degree or 90 degree valve covers? Agin thanks for your help.

Quote: Originally Posted by bg's
These..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4252/

SCE also makes a 1/4" thick gasket that will give you a bit more room with the above.
I believe most gaskets are 5/16" or 1/8" thick. These are about the thickest I've
read about.

http://www.scegaskets.com/Chevrolet/...-p6597957.html

They also have them for 18 degree heads.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #17

Do I need to make any modifications to the valve covers, to run the roller rockers? If so what?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #18

You should be fine with the non 18*. Stock heads are 23*. You may have to shave the baffles off where the
oil goes in, but other than that using the 1/4" gaskets as well, you should be good
to go. The 18* heads are race heads are not made anymore.

Read these articles. This may help you.

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0...nce/index.html

http://dezertdimes.com/2009/03/hot-r...-engine-build/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.