4.3 vortec in a 4.3 tbi truck - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4.3 vortec in a 4.3 tbi truck

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Real Man

User is: OffLine
4.3 vortec in a 4.3 tbi truck

I have a 93 S10 with a 4.3 5 speed 4wd and it runs ok. But it uses oil pretty good.

My question is: Can I take a 4.3 Vortec and put on an Edelbrock tbi/vortec intake and my tbi and just swap it into my truck or is there more to it than that? Will my sensors plug into the newer block or will it require alot of splicing or are sensors there that are not on my older tbi block?

Just looking over my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Re: 4.3 vortec in a 4.3 tbi truck

is it burning the oil or leaking it?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
goin broke but n style

the only issue you may run into is the knock sensor. the threads are different.

so a search and you will see swaps like this.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Real Man

Quote: Originally Posted by bigxroebuck
is it burning the oil or leaking it?
A little bit of both I believe. I just got the truck and got it for a really good deal so I knew getting into it that it wasn't perfect. I'll switch over to some 20w50 oil to hold it over in the mean time though.

I'm still very interested in doing the swap at some point. I would just swap a 350 into it, but I love the gas mileage that I'm getting with this truck over my 350 fullsize, so v6 it will remain.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
goin broke but n style

having a 350 in a s10 could possibly yeild you better MPG due to it doesn't have to work as hard to move the vehicle,

down side to this is having a V8 in a s10 will cause you to keep the gas pedal on the floor and this will get you less mpg.

but going 96+ will yeild more hp/tq over your orig engine.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Real Man

If I could get at least 20 mpg with a 350 tbi in this truck, I would swap one in this weekend. I found a post where swapping a 350 tbi would be really easy and everything would plug right in. If that's the case, and my mpg wouldn't take a hit, that's the rought that I would go. On the other hand, knowing me, I would have to be looking at rebuilding the tranny before long (grinds if in a hurry going into 3rd).

Only thing about putting in a 4.3 vortec is spending the money on another intake to fit the vortec heads. And all the intakes I've found will reguire an adapter to run the tbi.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
jax4x4.com

Quote: Originally Posted by JadXtreme
I have a 93 S10 with a 4.3 5 speed 4wd and it runs ok. But it uses oil pretty good.

My question is: Can I take a 4.3 Vortec and put on an Edelbrock tbi/vortec intake and my tbi and just swap it into my truck or is there more to it than that? Will my sensors plug into the newer block or will it require alot of splicing or are sensors there that are not on my older tbi block?

Just looking over my options.
short answer yes it will work just fine. the knock sensors from my old motor treaded right in to the new one. the only issue is with the transmission. the 93 block is machined for strut bars to go to the bottom of the transmission and the newer vortecs are not. they use the oil pan to secure the bottom of the bell housing to the motor. I had to make an adapter that attached to the bell housing and bolted up to the oil pan. No big deal really. as long as its a stock motor your ecu will run it, but getting it tuned would yeild better results in both economy and power.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Real Man

Have you got any pics of this adapter plate that you had to make for the newer block? I have a manual transmission, would I still need the adapter plate?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
jax4x4.com

You can kind of see it in this pic. nothing special. I'm not sure how the manuals on these bolt up to be sure, but I don't think it would be a problem

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.