4.3 Firing Order - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4.3 Firing Order

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #1

4.3 Firing Order

Just bought my first S10. It a 94 LS 4.3 Extended Cab, all stock.

I'm doing plugs, wires, cap & rotor tonight. Can anyone tell me the firing order for this V6?

thanks, Bill
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
loco hombre

User is: OffLine
Re: 4.3 Firing Order

I'm pretty sure they're all 1-6-5-4-3-2, clockwise rotation.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Needs a clutch... BAD!

Quote: Originally Posted by nater006
I'm pretty sure they're all 1-6-5-4-3-2, clockwise rotation.
bingo... i believe you are absolutely right... just did a tune up on one the other day... a bitch to get at the back plugs
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Black 95 SS

Have fun with #3! let us know how it goes

Fun motor to play with!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Needs a clutch... BAD!

Quote: Originally Posted by MattSS
Have fun with #3! let us know how it goes

Fun motor to play with!
ha ha... i really hope that was sarcasm...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #6

thanks for the info.

I'll let you all know how it went.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Black 95 SS

yea it was lol
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
loco hombre

Highly recommended to read the sticky in this forum regarding replacing the infamous #3 plug. The steering shaft takes all of a couple minutes to deal with and get out of the way and will make it much less of a headache than going after it with a convoluted assembly of specialty sockets, u-joints, or goofy wrenches

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #9

Re: DONE

I lifted the front end up on jacks and removed the drivers side tire for #3 & 5.

For #3, removal was quick with a 5/8 deep well socket approx 2 1/2 inch long and a swivel. To reinstall the #3 plug, I used just the socket and before I put the plug in I added a small piece of foam to the bottom to push the plug threads out a little more. the socket with the plug installed fit inside of the steering shaft and I was able to square the plug to the hole and then screw the plug in.

I tried just screwing the plug into the hole by itself but was not able to square up on the hole and still be able to hold the plug. The socket diameter allowed be to be able to have something to grip to and still be able to square up to the hole and manually thread it in.

Thanks for all of the advice and I am sure I will be posting future questions. This S10 is being used as my everyday driver. I also took it to my local 1/8 mile dragstrip the first week I got it. My plan is to run test and tune events until my bracket car is finished, which should be sometime early next year. My bracket car went thru a major rework and I have not raced for 3 years so the little S10 was a blast.

I am having 245-60 -15 installed on the stock 7" wheels in back tommorow and then I'll go back to the track and see how it does. I was spinning before on a worn out set (dry rotted) 205-75-15's. I'll put a newer front tire on to try and get this thing to cut a light. The front tire might be a little bit taller. Will this have in effect on the ABS?

The tune up really made a difference. I suspect the wires were original and had to do with the slight roughness to the motor idle. The plugs and cap were newer and the plugs for the most part looked ok. The idle is much nicer at start-up and it seems more responsive.

thanks all, Bill
Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
www.urlhost.net

you can kinda see it in here.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
goin broke but n style

My 94 firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #12

Easiest thing to do is change them one at a time. Of course that diagram ought ot be in every-ones haynes. Good investment. Label them. Yes, depending on style of cap; there are firing order correcting caps that are labelled. From the factory these are Horizontal caps. Watch out for the factry horizontal cap. I think one and three are labelled right but not firing order corrected.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #13

oops didnt mean to hijack a thread, thanks for the illustration on the firing order and which cylinder is which , pulled my drivers side plugs finally cuz i knew they were less fun to pull than the passenger side and had not very many miles on them but i still had to check em cuz of a miss, and a pig,a hog- dog (my 1988 4.3 s10 is lots stronger than this 1994 ) and less than 15 MPG - 1994 "W" 4.3 2wd - 2 plugs center insulator is half black and half white , the other one looked like it was covered with light brown carbon, but still a good gap it just wasnt firing, so i bought autolite platinums cuz they dont offer AC platinums for a 94 4.3
oils clear no antifreeze in it, antifreeze is green no oil in it, oil consumptions nil,
drivers side plugs arent hard to R&R, just jack up the truck, slide the wheelwell mudflap up under the brake lines out of the way, and there are the plugs just above the tire - bend a heavy coat hanger into a suitable U shaped hook with a handle to fit around the insulator to remove the wires and they pop right off ,. reaching in to where they stop to pull on them --to replace the new plugs, my heat sheilds , and the steering shaft are in the way of starting the plugs with the socket , so i got a piece of hose that fit real snug on the plugs tip- i think its about 1/4" id hose and i could get em started with the hose
these platinums arent supposed to foul nearly as easy and they got a 3 year warranty (whatever) for a couple bucks more each ill do it - hoping for more smooth acceleration and power and MPG

Last edited by pudd750; 04-23-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: new stuff i thunk of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.