4.3 engine removal - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4.3 engine removal

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Question 4.3 engine removal

i'm stuck guys i have a 1997 s10 4.3 i've taken evry bolt loose to get this thing out and now i'm stuck the oil pan hit's the front diff i've heard a few logical answers like lifing body so i don't have to talk the axel down but i'm lookin for someone who has done this with better luck than me that can tell me the easiest way to remove it my engine is all loose and ready to pull i have it held up by hoist right now and cant wiggle it anyway to get it up and out the trans is seperated the oil pan is less than inch away from the diff if i lift on it it hits anyone know how to do this?

thank you
Old 03-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 4.3 engine removal

When i changed my motor in my 99 i had a hell of a time too but mine is 2x4 and i pulled my tranny out with it. People told me i had to remove my front end and pull it straight out bc the motor and tranny wouldnt clear, but i said the hell with that and did it my way, i have take a head bolt out and the passenger side close to the back for one lift point and then went cross ways to the front of the motor and use a intake bolt, once i got it loose i had to get under the truck and pull down on the butt of the tranny hard to while someone was at the fire wall watching not to dent it and then had another buddy operating the hoist with three people and sum wiggling it will come out, but if u cant get it then may wanna try the removing the front end hope that helped good luck to u
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

on a 4x4 you must take the engine by itself. When I did it I spent 2 days trying to get it out with the trans and every extra piece attached that I could, but when I decided that it just wouldn't come out. I took the trans off, the torque converter off the engine and left it with the trans, took off the passenger side exhaust manifold, intake manifold and distributor, and starter, ( you need the starter out to get at the torque converter bolts) and lifted it almost straight up. Then it was out in no time.

Don't try to take the engine out with anything else attached to it unless you want to unbolt the body and lift the body 6 - 8 inches.

It goes in the same way, nothing but the flexplate attached to the back of the motor. I set the engine in and had it bolted to the trans etc in less than 2 hours by myself. It took a few more hours to put the intake and exhaust and wire it back up.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #4

User is: OffLine

i gues the 4x4 and the 4x2 is diffrent i pulled the motor and trans when i pulled my motor, but i have the 4x2....i had to pritty much turn the motor almost vertical, to get it out and i took the hole front end off the truck....but had to do that because of the 5.7l that i put in it.....and had to mod the core support for the rad.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #5

thanx for you help guys i actually ended up taking a few body mount bolts out and lifted the cab less than an inch and i was able to get it just pass the front diff and came out so easy so i left eh cab on jackstands and the new motor practiacally fell into place thanx again for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.