2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
2003 S10 4.3L

User is: OffLine
2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)

My S10 has a length of rigid pip from gas cap, downwards TOWARDS tank. Then there is a
piece of rubber pipe, from ridgid pipe to gas tank. Remove the hose clamps from both ends of
rubber pipe. Remove the rubber pipe.

Use a flashlight and mirror to see through gas tank fitting. The fitting you can now see because
we removed the rubber hose.

My S10 has spring loaded shuttle that travels up and down this fitting. (about 4" of travel) As gas would pour in
to the gas tank, the pressure of the gas will push valve (shuttle) downwards allowing gas to empty into the gas tank.

This spring loaded valve, was designed to prevent gas from being stole (syphon) from tank. This is a poor
design by GM as dirt can get stuck between shuttle and the inside of plastic fitting on tank.

My shuttle was stuck, maybe by a piece of dirt, floating in gas. I pushed the shuttle in toward the gas
tank. I let the sping push it back and I would work the shuttle back and forth. When my finger pushes
the shuttle all the way in, I could feel the hole where the gas would pass emptying into the tank.

If this does not work, I will lower tank, and remove shuttle all together. This would leave no restriction
in the filler pipe.

Troy
Old 08-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
2003 S10 4.3L

Re: 2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump

Fuel Spit Back When Filling Gas Tank - leak.

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

Customer may comment when filling fuel tank, the fuel spits back.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct condition, the following steps should be taken:

Verify that fill limiter vent valve/rollover valve is not stuck closed or open (Fill limiter vent valve/rollover valve is part of the fuel sender assembly).

Verify that fill limiter vent valve/rollover valve is not leaking.
If neither of the above conditions exist, blow air through all lines including fuel tank.

Blow air through EVAP canister.

Attach the rubber hose portion of filler neck to fuel tank first.

Attach fill neck to vehicle.

MAKE SURE THERE IS NO KINK IN RUBBER HOSE PORTION OF FILL NECK.

Put new gas in the fuel tank.

Verify that vehicle is fixed before returning to customer.
Fuel spit back can also be caused by the fuel vapor pressure being too high in the fuel tank or high fuel tempurature.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
2003 S10 4.3L

Re: 2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump

Here is one gas fuel tank style.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)-fillpipeair.jpg   2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)-fillpipeair2.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
2003 S10 4.3L

Here are the three gas tanks for 2003 s10 4.3L.

There is a tank for two 2 door truck.
There is a tank for third 3 door truck.
There is a tank for four 4 door truck.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)-gas-tank-2dr.gif   2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)-gas-tank-3-dr.jpg   2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)-gas-tank-4dr.gif   2003 Chev S10 gas tank fill problems (fuel spitting back or clicking out gas pump)-gas-tank-4dr-2-.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.