2001 No power under acceleration - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2001 No power under acceleration

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
KentuckyMinis.com

User is: OffLine
2001 No power under acceleration

I been posting in a similar thread, but figured I'd give my brief rundown on my problems here.

2001 2 door blazer
96,xxx miles
new fuel pump at 89,xxx

About 3 weeks ago I seafoamed my blazer. Ok a week after that, I noticed jumpy rpms around 65mph. So I think nothing of it. About a week goes by and it gets worse, it gets so bad I pretty much started shifting with the gas. It was normally bad around 2k RPMS, then it just went downhill. Everytime I would try to lean into it nothing, it would fall on its face. When I could mash the gas it would get around 3k-4k(if I was lucky) and then slowly climb back down. So now here I am with a blazer that can't even be driven.

It's been throwing a SES code, p0101. So MAF okay, thats a $150 gamble, no. I took the one off my in laws 2003 blazer and still got the same exact results. Even replaced the TPS sensor and same stuff. Unplugged the o2 sensor and it ran worse. Unplugged the EGR valve and it ran a little better.

So now I'm stuck, I got a gut feeling it's the spider assembly. But I'm so sick of throwing money at this thing I'm considering trading it in and cutting my loses, which are at around $2,000 total.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
goin broke but n style

Re: 2001 No power under acceleration

does eng temp have aanythign to do with it. Does it run better when cold than warm? If it does i would have to venture to say you may have a clogged cat. Remove the y-pipe and see if it revs faster, if it does than replace the cat. Just my .02 I have seen clogged cats give MAF codes.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
KentuckyMinis.com

Nope, no matter what temp it is it still does it. I crawled under it and see were it was bolted up by the muffler. So I just remove it from there or what?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
terrible. take a lap.

id say kick the cat a couple times to hear if anything is moving..?

when you seafoamed it, did you run it through the brake booster?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
goin broke but n style

you need to disconnect it b4 the cats. if the eng revs and idles better and your issues go away, you more than likely have a clogged cat.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
2001 S-10 Crew Cab

Pulling the forward O2 sensors can also offer enough relief to see if it runs better too.
A plugged pre-cat is very common. Mine did it too.
If It was mine I would bring out the reciprocal saw and cut the pipe just in front of the precat. I have a feeling you will find a mess. Unbolt it from the cat at the flange and make sure the cat still looks good. Then take a bar and bust the guts out of the precat. Clean it all out good , grab a new gasket and bolt it back in place.
You can then get a stainless steel band clamp to repair the cut you made and get yourself to the muffler shop for a weld job.

The precat is just a smaller cat designed to heat up faster and get a head start on the conversion process. It was a nice idea, but it just didn't work out. They tend to plug way too easy and go rapidly down hill from there.

You can run with out it and not set any lights. Be prepared for it to be just a little louder. Not much though.

You should know that technically it is altering emissions parts, therefore not legal. You will pass the visual inspection, but if inspected internally, you would fail the test.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
NO REGRETS

no emissions here in KY

nick, i still have my stock y-pipe if the pre cats end up having something to do with it
Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
4 wheels aren't as fun

cut your losses.

you guys need to also remember there is no such thing as a "fix in a bottle". you can actually do more harm dumping so much crap into your tank or in the intake. it's best to do it in small amount over a longer period.
or just take care of it throughout it's life instead of waiting for something to go wrong.

Last edited by serpentracer; 02-28-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
KentuckyMinis.com

Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer
cut your losses.

you guys need to also remember there is no such thing as a "fix in a bottle". you can actually do more harm dumping so much crap into your tank or in the intake. it's best to do it in small amount over a longer period.
or just take care of it throughout it's life instead of waiting for something to go wrong.

Ya I'm realizing this now. Yes I did it through the brake booster. I'm going to end up trying to mess with the cats tomorrow and see what happens.

Brian I will give you a shout if it comes down to that. Thanks guys for your replies.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
Busy dodging potholes

Fuel filter?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
KentuckyMinis.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Jkelley01Xtreme
Fuel filter?
replaced it 5 days ago, old one was terrible. But yet.......no difference. I'm going to mess with the cats tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Sometimes I'm mean...alot

Cat(s) & Pre-Cats????

My S-10's only have a single Catalytic Convertor.

Last edited by RaginInferno; 03-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
KentuckyMinis.com

Well it turns out it was the cat coverter. Whew thank god this headache is finally over.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
terrible. take a lap.

haha, did you ever kick it like i told ya too?

but cool, nicejob, headache=gone. can't go wrong there!!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
KentuckyMinis.com

Quote: Originally Posted by joyride
haha, did you ever kick it like i told ya too?

but cool, nicejob, headache=gone. can't go wrong there!!

Ya I smacked it with a hammer a couple times, and noticed it started getting better each time I hit and tried to give it gas. So I cut it off by the Y pipe about an hour ago and it runs just like normal, except loud as shit LOL. But I ordered the universal cat from jegs should be here monday.

Then it gets a BIG FOR SALE SIGN in the window, and poof be gone.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
terrible. take a lap.

hahaha, you're just gonna get rid of the dime? whatttttt?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
KentuckyMinis.com

Quote: Originally Posted by joyride
hahaha, you're just gonna get rid of the blazer? whatttttt?

Fixed, and hell yeah I'm getting rid of this thing. If you only knew how much I have replaced on this damn thing you would understand. Besides momma just bought a new car and I wanna pay hers off, I'll continue to rock a beater and save money until I can find something I like.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
terrible. take a lap.

well you got a plan, that works..and i hear ya, thats how it was on my 88 monte carlo ss! lol...we eventually found out it was a salvaged car pieced together with a really nice paintjob! lol so i understand!! hahaha

trade it in for a 10' camaro ss i went to the dealer last night and saw bumblebee and couldnt stop staring! haha
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
Sans S10

Glad to hear you got it figured out, the cat would've been my guess, I had the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.