S-10 Forum banner

2001 Blazer 4.3 distributor gear

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  95 S_Trucker 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Blazer with 4.3. It has 52,00 miles and recently died while driving. Turns out the distrubutor gear stripped, and a portion small portion of the gear itself broke off. My mechanic is saying I may need a new engine if the metal fell in the engine and camshaft gear may be damaged too etc.

1. Is this a common failure? What causes it? Is engine toast?
2. Do you think camshaft gear that the distributor meets up with is damaged as well, or is it generally just the distributor gear that gets damaged?

Thanks for any help or input.

#2 ·
the engine may not be toast, but you will deffinitley need a new cam and dist gear.

you cannot use a new distributor gear on an old camshaft.

And that would work if no metal damaged anything

It might be cheaper to just get a new/used/rebuilt engine

#4 ·
The gears wont mesh completley perfectly if you do that, and will cause one gear to wear out faster than the other.

Espeacially sinse one gear was completley stripped. There is definatly some damage to the gear on the cam too.

It would be like replacing a ring gear in your real end but not replacing the pinion gear. on a lower scale of course.

#7 ·
Alright. I might be wrong. I was going by what I am a being taught. and on monday im gonna have to show this thread to my teacher.

But chances are the cam is damaged. If the distributer gear is completley rounded off and chunks are missing from it, it probably damaged the cam.
inspect the cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.