2001 Blazer 4.3 distributor gear - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2001 Blazer 4.3 distributor gear

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #1

2001 Blazer 4.3 distributor gear

I have a 2001 Blazer with 4.3. It has 52,00 miles and recently died while driving. Turns out the distrubutor gear stripped, and a portion small portion of the gear itself broke off. My mechanic is saying I may need a new engine if the metal fell in the engine and camshaft gear may be damaged too etc.

1. Is this a common failure? What causes it? Is engine toast?
2. Do you think camshaft gear that the distributor meets up with is damaged as well, or is it generally just the distributor gear that gets damaged?

Thanks for any help or input.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
no longer has a 95

User is: Online
Re: 2001 Blazer 4.3 distributor gear

the engine may not be toast, but you will deffinitley need a new cam and dist gear.

you cannot use a new distributor gear on an old camshaft.

And that would work if no metal damaged anything

It might be cheaper to just get a new/used/rebuilt engine
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

I replaced my distributor gear on my 96 4.3 about 6 months ago and have had no problems with it. So in other words,, if you want to drop a new distributor in( msd etc), you have to change the cam as well? I don't think so!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
no longer has a 95

Quote: Originally Posted by harry_411
I replaced my distributor gear on my 96 4.3 about 6 months ago and have had no problems with it. So in other words,, if you want to drop a new distributor in( msd etc), you have to change the cam as well? I don't think so!!!
The gears wont mesh completley perfectly if you do that, and will cause one gear to wear out faster than the other.

Espeacially sinse one gear was completley stripped. There is definatly some damage to the gear on the cam too.

It would be like replacing a ring gear in your real end but not replacing the pinion gear. on a lower scale of course.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker
the engine may not be toast, but you will deffinitley need a new cam and dist gear.

you cannot use a new distributor gear on an old camshaft.

And that would work if no metal damaged anything

It might be cheaper to just get a new/used/rebuilt engine

I would disagree. Distutors are changed all the time without a cam change. You could check the cam gear by looking down the dist hole and rotate the engine.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
HP > bags

User is: OffLine

Quote: Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker
The gears wont mesh completley perfectly if you do that, and will cause one gear to wear out faster than the other.

Espeacially sinse one gear was completley stripped. There is definatly some damage to the gear on the cam too.

It would be like replacing a ring gear in your real end but not replacing the pinion gear. on a lower scale of course.
My god, you are retarded. If the cam gear is OK, fix the dist and put it back together.

If the cam gear is trashed, you have no choice but to replace both..IF that's what happened and I've never seen that happen to a Vortec 4.3.

Retard...stop spewing shitty info.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
no longer has a 95

Alright. I might be wrong. I was going by what I am a being taught. and on monday im gonna have to show this thread to my teacher.

But chances are the cam is damaged. If the distributer gear is completley rounded off and chunks are missing from it, it probably damaged the cam.
inspect the cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.