2001 4.3 S10 wont start, asking the experts - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2001 4.3 S10 wont start, asking the experts

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
2001 4.3 S10 wont start, asking the experts

Hi all, new member here from NC, been reading for a few years, especially the LSX board but just now registered. Have an S10 thats bugging the heck out of me because I cant get it to run. bought it a few weeks ago for my step son to drive this winter since its a 4x4. truck has been sitting a couple years not running when I got it. I was pretty sure it was the distributor cap so I change that and the rotor out but still no start so I'm digging in. If left alone "not cranked" overnight the truck will start and run for a couple seconds and quit like it out of fuel

Heres a list of things I have done.

-new cap and rotor
-new plugs and wires
-checked fuel pressure with key on pump running: 62 psi
-fuel pressure with key on and pump stopped: 58 psi
-leaks down to 52-54 after 5 minutes
-compression test: cyl #1, 2, 3, 6 @ 140-150 psi, cyl # 4 & 5 @ 90 psi.
-rolled engine up to TDC and pulled the distributor cap to check for rotor position: pointing directly at the # 1 terminal
-pulled the ignition control module and coil and tried it on another truck: runs fine.
-checked each cylinder for spark with a calibrated ignition tester: spark was good
-poured fuel in the throttle body with air flow sensor unplugged: no start
-sprayed ether in TB with air flow sensor unplugged: no start
-unhooked the coil, pulled the FI harness and checked each terminal with noid light: each terminal flashed as engine turned.
-left FI harness unplugged, plugged ignition back up and truck started 3-4 times and ran 4 or 5 seconds at the longest on one attempt.
-pulled the upper intake, unhooked coil, reconnected the fuel lines, pulled each poppet valve and cranked the engine over: each poppet valve sprayed fuel well
-truck shows 40 psi oil pressure while cranking
-no security light flashing
-no obd codes stored

scratching my head now, looking for some suggestions
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #2

Re: 2001 4.3 S10 wont start, asking the experts

Welcome to S10forum!

Do you smell fuel?

How does it run for those few seconds?

How's the oil pressure?

While it runs for those few seconds, how's the oil pressure?

New fuel filter?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #3

thanks for the reply paul bell.

there is a slight smell of fuel in the engine compartment which made me think the regualtor might be leaking, but I pulled the spider and see no visable leaks, the lower intake is dry.

the few seconds it runs its running very rough....but it does run momentarly.

its has about 40psi oil pressure while cranking but havent noticed the pressure when it actually fires up.

have a new filter in hand but havent gotten it put on yet.

this truck sat for 2 or 3 years not running before I got it, it had about 1/4 tank of fuel, then I added about 4 gallons of fresh to it.....could there be a tremindous amount of condensation in there that I just made worse by adding fuel?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

It's possible the fuel is bad, or at least questionable. It doesn't seem to me to be the problem but as you've changed & checked just about everything else, dumping the old fuel and replacing with fresh would eliminate it as a possibility.

Change that filter. It may be gunked up just enough to allow pressure but no flow.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

paul, i'm going to cycle the pump a few times this evening and get about a quart of fuel out of the line, see if there is any water sinking to the bottom? if so it'll be time to pull the bed and drain the tank unless there is another way...maybe straight wire the pump and make a drain line to fit where the filter is?

also pulled the EGR to see if there might have been a piece of carbon sticking it open....but it was pretty clean and plunger was freely moving.

side note, the fuel does smells rank.....so it might be bad fuel combined with some water to jack up the A/F mixture....just thinking out loud.

But if theres water in it or the fuel is bad, still it should have started when I used the ether and fresh fuel down the TB but didnt?

But at the same time I was thinking that the spider wasnt working so the injector harness wasnt unhooked so it was probably flooded from the fuel I added and the poppet valved injecting fuel at the same time because when I unhooked the injector harness it did start up a few times till it burned off the residual fuel....that might be it??

ya know, never thought about restriction in the filter allowing pressure but not flow, I'll get that filter on this evening too. still have to reassemble the spider and upper intake before i can test any of this

thanks paul!!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

opened the fuel line, cycled the pump 8 times (2 second intervals) and got a quart of fuel....so thats about 15-20 seconds for a quart so there is adaquate fuel volume being pumped throught the line and filter. Fuel looked good, no water collecting in the bottom?? even more puzzled now!!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by Darkone
-leaks down to 52-54 after 5 minutes
-rolled engine up to TDC and pulled the distributor cap to check for rotor position: pointing directly at the # 1 terminal
Pressure leak down concerns me, should be no less than 55psi after 10 minutes. But those numbers should not prevent it from starting. Its not a fuel problem, you have no start with fuel down the TB. So it must be a timing issue.

Is the rotor pointing at the index that says (6) when at TDC?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #8

Yeah, I see no reason why this engine isn't running.

Did you ever see this engine run? Had you removed the distributor at any point in time?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #9

burned: yeah, i feel like theres adaquate fuel supply and ample spark, so timing must be the culprit! I did roll it up to TDC #1, pulled the cap and rotor was pointing at the #1 terminal.....probably need to verify that fact one more time just for my own piece of mind since these caps are internally rerouted, I may have made a mistake when checking that out? Should it be pointing at the # 6 plug wire terminal back near the coil wire....pretty sure mine wasnt pointing there.

paul bell: No, I have never heard the engine run....well other than the few times it has fired off and ran from 1-5 seconds before quiting. I bought the truck in non running condition, distributor cap was loose with one screw completly out.....easily moved around on the distributor.... so someone had been there before I got the truck. thought the cap or loose cap was the probelm.

I have not had the distributor out of the truck but its on the agenda if the timing checks out to be correct.

thanks guys, I really appriciate your input!!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #10

burned: yeah, i feel like theres adaquate fuel supply and ample spark, so timing must be the culprit! I did roll it up to TDC #1, pulled the cap and rotor was pointing at the #1 terminal.....probably need to verify that fact one more time just for my own piece of mind since these caps are internally rerouted, I may have made a mistake when checking that out? Should it be pointing at the # 6 plug wire terminal back near the coil wire....pretty sure mine wasnt pointing there.
It should be pointing at the index. Looks like \6/ on the distributor

Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #11

Here's another way to look at it:
Old 11-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #12

thanks guys, the visual references helps a bunch, will roll up on TDC again and confirm rotor placment.

Not trying to get ahead of myself here but if rotor phasing is correct, I understand that the ECM self adjust timing off the base 0°+/-2° initial setting. Could the ECM be bumping the timing off far enough that the thing won't start? I would think that the ECM would bring timing back to 0° for initial start up and advance as rpm and temps advance or retard as knocks are detected.

Is there any way to determine if the ECM is jacking with the timing without the truck running....I have an autoxray scanner that gives live data on different parimeters including timing but wont show anything up if the truck isnt running.

thanks again guys!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #13

Pickup coil would be my best guess.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
From opening post:

"checked each cylinder for spark with a calibrated ignition tester: spark was good"
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
You're thinking first gen engines. Second gens don't have one of those. They use a crank sensor instead.
Besides he has spark.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
Hardhead

I think your ECM is the culprit. Whether or not it's throwing a code is besides the point. I'll bet your anti-theft is shutting you down.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #17

I've had these run like crap with the wires on the wrong plugs. Sure sounds like a spark/wiring issue. Follow @Burned's suggestions and check TDC + distributor match up. Then re-check the wires are going to the right plugs per @Paul_Bell's figure. Forgive me if you know this: #1 cylinder is front left. #6 is right rear.

FRONT
1 2
3 4
5 6
REAR

Also: Are there any security features, like a hidden relay for the fuel pump? Is this whole truck new to you, or just the motor?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by eshaw
I think your ECM is the culprit. Whether or not it's throwing a code is besides the point. I'll bet your anti-theft is shutting you down.
how can the ECM be checked or what are other ways to determine if the ECM is fried

I may be way off base and correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption was that when I checked the injector harness with the noid light and each terminal set flashed as the engine rotated, plus the fact that I have good strong spark on each cylinder told me that the ECM was doing its job by detecting the position of the crank and cam sensors and sending signal to the injectors to fire. And since the injectors are working the anti theft was not interfearing since its basically a fuel shut off anyway.

had sucky weather yesterday afternoon so I didnt get to work on it but I'm still leaning towards timing being the issue as paul bell and burned has suggested.

Someone here at work suggested it might be the cat plugged but I have never saw one plugged so much that the vehicle would not start, yeah poor performance or overheating but not a no start condition. Guess it never hurts to think out of the box though....so I may check it for grins and giggles.

thanks everyone, hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this soon!!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #19

You said you smelled fuel and the engine does run briefly so I'd say you have fuel.

I'm starting to think there's some sort of security thing disabling the PCM. Briefly running then shutoff is how the security system works. Are you inserting an actual key into the cylinder on the steering column? If there's no key in the cylinder, the PCM knows it.

Here's some more reference:
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #20

When you line up the timing marks on the crankshaft balancer, make sure your on the compression stroke not the exhaust stroke. Maybe pull the plug on cylinder#1 to verify that. Cylinder #1 is at the front right side of the engine, lol.
Then drop the dizzy down so the rotor points to the "6" on the housing, then it is pointing at #1 wire in the cap.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #21

paul bell: yep, slight smell of fuel when its cranked over.
yep, starting with a GM key, however I do have to wiggle the key in order for the switch to roll over to the start position...wonder if there could be an issue with the switch causing the security to activate?

anyone know how to bypass the security?

burned: method i use for verifying TDC is to pull #1 plug, stuff a piece of tissue paper into the plug hole, bump starter over with the coil disconnected until the tissue "pops" out of the hole, then continue to roll up to timing mark TDC with a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt. method has worked well for me in the past.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #22

Passlock 30 MINUTE RE-LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

It is worth noting that it may take more than 3 cycles to complete the relearn and it does not necessarily take 10 minutes for the security light to shut off in all cases. You should cycle the key to OFF and back to RUN only after the security light has turned off. You are done when the security light turns off after a 10-20 second delay. You should then be able to cycle back to OFF and then start the vehicle.

If this method does not work then the system will have to be force relearned using a Tech2 or comparable full feature scan tool.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #23

thanks burned, I know the truck as the theft system noted on the radio, don't recall seeing any security light blinking while trying to start, however I don't know that I was looking for it either?

don't have a key fob with the truck either if that matters.

will unhooking the battery cause the theft system to activate?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #24

When doing the security re-learn procedure listed by burned, do NOT open any of the doors-it'll screw up the process.

If this truck has the factory remote alarm system, you'll need to get a remote fob and perform it's learn procedure.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #25

thanks guys, hopefully were getting somewhere here.

no idea if the truck came with a remote activate security system or not....it has base roll up windows and low options. not sure how to tell if it had the fob originally or not?

I did notice that the drivers door lock doesnt work on the truck, cant lock the door from the inside or outside. can flip the lock down on the inside and shut the door and the lock will unlock its self, cant lock from outside with the key either....there maybe something to that causing the security to arm or activate?

I'll be putting in a full day on the truck tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be really nice....will update you on the progress.

thanks again!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #26

well, weather was great over the weekend, didnt get to work on the S10 on saturday, had to replace rusted fuel, return and vapor return lines on my Silverado work truck....gotta love Magnesium Chloride!!

Anyway, on sunday, cleaned the FI spider and intake, reinstalled the spider and put the upper intake back on the truck. with everything connected back up as it should be , I pulled the # 1 plug again, verified that the engine was on TDC, pulled the disributor cap.....the rotor was pointing at the #1 cap terminal (almost in align with the # 2 spark plug wire terminal on the cap). reinstalled the cap, and spark plug and wires, hit the switch, truck fired up and ran smoothly for about 6 seconds then died, subquential cranking got it to hit on the next crank but nothing after that.

there were no security light flashing on the dash, other when I initially flip the switch to run, the security light will come on and stay constant for a few seconds and go off. So even though the security light wasnt flashing I went on to do the security relearn procedure twice making sure to leave the switch on for 10 minutes each time, cut off and back on within 5 seconds and repeat 3 times, also made sure I did everything through the window so the door wouldnt be opened, also made sure I cut the switch back off at the end of the procedure: still no start.

I guess the next step is to drain the gas tank incase the fuel is just totally dead, then put about 5 gallons of fresh in it. exhaust smells weird when its cranked over...like dead gas smells.

any other suggestions or ideas??
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #27

can something gone bad in the PCM cause a no start condition??
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #28

can something gone bad in the PCM cause a no start condition??
Yes it can but there would definitely be a SES and codes.

PM sent.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #29

The OP told me he had a scanner that wouldn't read the PCM. He also had a running '02 4.3 S10 that the scanner would read. I suggested he swap the PCM's.

After doing so, the truck in question wants to run/catch while cranking but just won't fire.

We ran the VIN for RPO's and determined the truck did not come with a security system.

I'm thinking low fuel pressure.

Darkone, can you check the fuel pressure while cranking?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #30

sorry for the slow post, been in IL hunting.

paul bell: yep, we switched the computers between the 01 and 02, the 01 with the 02 ECM wants to start.....just wont continue running when you release the key switch and the starter disengages. showed more promise that ever before.

fuel pressure while cranking is steady @ 57-58 psi

trying to figure out how to get the old fuel out of the tank without having to pull the tank to drain. maybe remove the filter and straight wire the pump at the relay to pump out? any other ideas?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #31

update: removed the fuel filter, found a boogered up fitting and line nearly collapsed on the pump side so I repaired that as while i was there. I attached a drain hose to the pump side fuel line, straight wired the fuel pump through the relay terminal and pumped the tank empty, 11 gallons. Added back 3 gallons of fresh 93 octane. found that once the fuel line was repaired there was more fuel volume at the test port. Still no start.

swapped the computers on my step sons Xtreme to the 4X4 and as it did earlier, it wants to start, cranking really fast and almost running on its own except will not continue once the key is released and the starter disengages.

put the 4X4 computer on the Xtreme and it will not crank so that verifies that the computer is toast since it runs great with the original ECM.

the original 4X4 ECM was a reman unit and had a TPS code stored, so I pulled the TPS from the Xtreme and put it on the 4X4 for grins and giggles.... didn't improve the starting.

while I had the Xtreme ECM on the 4X4 I tried pouring fuel down the TB with the air flow sensor unplugged and it started up and ran momentary as I poured a paint can cap full through it.

any ideas?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #32
Tech Mod

i dont think you can just swap computers like that. for sure i know you need to do the passlock relearn since the ECM and BCM wont have matching vin numbers.

if it is truly a passlock issue, it will start up, run for 2 seconds, then die and security flashes on the dash with the key on.

security can flash on the dash with the key out and door open. that is for the factory alarm. generally trucks with powered doors have this "alarm" while manual window/door lock trucks did not.

when pouring gas down the TB, how smooth did it run? for the truck with the scanner couldnt read the ECM, check the cigarette lighter fuse as the OBDII port uses this for power.

if the truck did run for 6 seconds smoothly, then the passlock is not the issue here. timing isnt either as you said it ran smoothly for 6 seconds. so, it makes me think if a crank sensor is "bad" and it just not throwing a code.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #33

I think it's time to purchase another PCM from ebay with your VIN in it and do the security/passkey setup.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #34

I seemed to have the same problem. I put in a Crank Position Sensor and it fired right up. Check your relays for the fuel pump and all the rest of the ignition and stuff. They seem to wear out after some time. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #35

There is a way to bypass the passkey system. Auto security places have to do it all the time. Problem is that I believe the truck has to be running in order for them to do it. Other option is to tune it out. This really sounds like a passkey issue except you don't see the security light on... it should be illuminated when you pull out the key and even after shutting the door. If not passkey then there must be a timing issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #36
Tech Mod

Passlock will allow the vehicle to start every time, but only for 2 seconds until the fuel gets cut off.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #37

Thanks for all the advise guys.....no idea about if swapping the ECM's is supposed to work correctly or not without VIN programing......but what I do know is the truck was closer to starting with the known "good" ECM and the known running truck would not run with the ECM from the problem child.....so a new ECM is on order.

when I pulled the spider and cleaned it, the truck did start and run smoothly for appx 6 seconds.

with the ECM's swapped I was able to pour fuel down the TB and the truck would fire and run, however it ran rough....it would not do this with the old ECM installed

there are no security lights flashing on the dash, with or without switch on/doors opened or closed other than the 2 seconds or so that the light comes on when the switch is initially turned to the run position. Truck has manual windows and locks and didn't come with remote security.

I was able to borrow a more expensive code scanner and was able to pull the code for the throttle position sensor from the suspected bad ECM. swapped TPS sensor from the Xtreme (known good) and there was no change.

have not checked the crank position sensor, but wouldnt there be an SES code if there were a problem with the CPS......but if the ECM is bad it might not store it?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #38

I am far from an expert,esp on an '01,but is it possible you have a vacuum leak? Either plenum(I know you had it off,but it happens)or EGR stuck open? maybe its not running long enuff to throw a code? Again dont claim to be an expert,but on mid 90s versions, both of these problems- esp the stuck open EGR - have had me pulling me hair out-made a block-off plate outta some 1/4 SS plate I had layin around, and she fired right up. I also had a brand new off-brand plenum gasket ,I was in a jam and forced to buy--- it just wouldnt seal @ torque I was comfortable with.Threw on a FelPro and she was good to go with just a snug down. This forum has walked me thru sooo many problems, and also gave me the idea for the homemade "quart can smoke machine" vacuum tester, and it is one of the most useful things I ever made. So I just thought I'd throw those out there. Happy turkeyday
Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #39

Thanks GEOD998, and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!!

I did pull the EGR and it was carbon free and pretty clean....the plunger was stuck (probably from the truck not running in a few years) but I tapped on it a few times and it freed up and moved freely.... unfortunately it didn't have any effect on the no start condition.

I cant rule out a vacuume leak....did have the upper plenium off and did not replace the gasket, have since noticed some coolant leaking from the lower plenium corners so it looks as if its gonna get a set of intake gaskets to cure that issue so Ill replace the upper at that time. FelPro only for me!

"quart can smoke machine" .....do you ave the link for that....would love to learn about how to build it, how it works and its uses.....would be very valuable for finding those pesky leaks!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #40

Unless it's a huge gaping hole in the intake manifold, a vacuum leak will make the idle high or very high and make the engine run weird.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #41

Quote: Originally Posted by paul bell
Unless it's a huge gaping hole in the intake manifold, a vacuum leak will make the idle high or very high and make the engine run weird.
Paul-and thats what I always thought too.Recently,I was doing spider replacement on a 93 4.3 Jimmy. Half way into it,I realized I had used the felpro plenum gskt I had squirreled away on my 95 Blazer,so I was forced to buy an off brand plenum gasket(DP maybe?)and it had me going crazy. After reassembly,It wouldnt even start on ether for me. I figured no way could I be suckin enuff air to cause that,and I ended up looking at everything else.Finally I got a felpro,stuck it in, and it fired up instantly-I was amazed..and if I hadnt been there I woulda never believed it. So I was just passing it on
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #42

How to check everything. http://easyautodiagnostics.com/
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #43

hey guys, thinking while I have this thing torn down to do the intake gasket replacement that I would go ahead and do the MPI conversion to it....looking at the Delphi FJ10565 however every website I look at says its "NOT COMPATIBLE" with my 2001 model....I thought that all the spiders from 1996-2002 were the same....surely there wouldnt be a 1 year only odd ball? .....can anyone confirm that the Delphi FJ10565 will fit the 01 model??
just want to be sure before I order.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #44

hey guys, thinking while I have this thing torn down to do the intake gasket replacement that I would go ahead and do the MPI conversion to it....looking at the Delphi FJ10565 however every website I look at says its "NOT COMPATIBLE" with my 2001 model....I thought that all the spiders from 1996-2002 were the same....surely there wouldnt be a 1 year only odd ball? .....can anyone confirm that the Delphi FJ10565 will fit the 01 model??
just want to be sure before I order.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/0...-years-504991/
Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #45

Thanks burned.....ran into the same issue with that thread poster.....couldn't understand why it wasn't listed a fitting an 01.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #46

Along the same lines,are the Blazer and pickup years the same on that? I know there are a few years where there is some disparity between them on other parts. What are the major differences that determine you can do the upgrade? The reason I'm asking is I have a late 95 Blazer, I remember getting some wrong parts in the past, can't remember which ones at the moment ,but 96 parts ended up being correct. I've heard conflicting opinions. I'm gonna be back into this thing soon (manifold leak) and upgrading would be great-if possible. Thanx for your input
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #47

so....I have some work ahead of me, have the ECM on order from a place that paul bell recommended, also new intake gaskets in hand and a Delphi mpfi conversion on order. this thing has got to run some time.....feel confident that the ignition, timing and fuel pressure to the spider are up to par. hopefully this joker will fire off in a few days!!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #48

OK guys, spent the whole weekend working on this truck, Replaced the ECM and did the security relearn procedure before we tore anything apart to see if that was the fix.....no start still. So we pulled the intake, replaced the intake gaskets, did a mpfi conversion with a delphi unit. Once everything was back together we cycled the fuel pump a few times to get fuel up to the injection unit, hit the switch and it fired right and ran for about 10 seconds really smoothly however I noticed a fuel leak at the mpfi connection point due to not having the clamp not being tight completly. turned the engine off, fixed the fuel leak, cranked it over and it would not restart!!!!! WTF!!!!

so I tought maybe since the battery was unhooked so long we might need to do the security relearn again so we attemped to do that however once I release the key the security light goes off imeadiatley and does not stay on for 10 minutes like it did during the initial relearn procedure.

bout the only piece I havenet replaced is the fuel pump....but it has good fuel pressure, 60psi with key on, 58psi cranking.....hard for me to believe its the pump!

any suggestions guys?? pulling my hair out on this one!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #49

I'm glad to hear it ran but saddened to hear it's not again. You've certainly been through it all with this truck.

Usually, bad intake gaskets make it run poorly and/or with coolant leak out or into the engine, not prevent it from running.

Maybe you've somehow flooded it. Floor the gas pedal then crank until it fires. WOT during cranking tells the PCM to go into "clear flood" mode.

If that isn't it, I'd say go back to the beginning and check for spark and all the normal troubleshooting items.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #50

yeah paul, not as sad as I am for sure....just puzzzzzzled!

this thing is gonna drive me to drink!

ive checked everything except the tail light bulb so I guess thats next.

its acting just like it did with the old computer

is there anything else, anything at all, that will cause one not to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.