2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!!

i have recently purchased a 2000 gmc sonoma 4x4 with 58000 miles. occasionally i will go to start the truck and nothing happens. all of the lights come on and everything powers up but the truck wont turn over. ive noticed that if i go and check the fuses under the hood and put them back it will sometimes start right up. i have checked the battery, changed the starter, checked the fuse box under the hood, neutral safety switch seems to be brand new. i am completely lost. i have heard that it could be the ignition switch but want to be sure before i have to replace that. it seems to not start when it is cold outside. another problem i have with it is when the truck is off and the key is forward just before you start the truck is when you go from drive to third gear the truck will try to start. even when you are driving and you go from drive to third the starter will try to engage like you are trying to start the truck. i dont know if the two problems are related or not. any information would be greatly appreciated as i am ready to pull my hair out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!!

do you hear the Fuel pump kick on?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

sure do. fuel pump kicks on and everything. just wont turn over
Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
GO STEELERS !!!

Exclamation Re: 2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by brien.clinton
sure do. fuel pump kicks on and everything. just wont turn over
My bet is the main/rod bearings are starting to sieze up.

I had a 93 Olds Bravada w/4.3. Ran outstanding. Had great oil pressure too.

One day simply backup in my driveway, the engine just SEIZED UP !!

NO WARNING SIGNS WHAT-SO-EVER !! NONE !!

The dude I sold it to replaced the engine. He said the original engines main bearings were FRIED! !

Again, this engine ran GREAT, had NO NOISES/VIBRATIONS and/or KNOCKING AT ALL !
Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #5

i have recently purchased a 2000 gmc sonoma 4x4 with 58000 miles. occasionally i will go to start the truck and nothing happens. all of the lights come on and everything powers up but the truck wont turn over. ive noticed that if i go and check the fuses under the hood and put them back it will sometimes start right up. i have checked the battery, changed the starter, checked the fuse box under the hood, neutral safety switch seems to be brand new. i am completely lost. i have heard that it could be the ignition switch but want to be sure before i have to replace that. it seems to not start when it is cold outside. another problem i have with it is when the truck is off and the key is forward just before you start the truck is when you go from drive to third gear the truck will try to start. even when you are driving and you go from drive to third the starter will try to engage like you are trying to start the truck. i dont know if the two problems are related or not. any information would be greatly appreciated as i am ready to pull my hair out!!!
brien.clinton ... can you read schmatics? I've attached one with the starting circuit which could help you out. It sounds like two problems but if you concentrate on the first one perhaps the second will be easier (sounds like chafed wire or perhaps a problem with start / neutral switch).

I suggest you become familar with the starting circuit by starting in the upper left corner of diagram. Note that +12 is routed through the 20 amp IGNITION C fuse to the ignition switch. When switch is placed to START the +12 is passed through the 10 amp CRANK fuse to the PARK/NEUTRAL switch, to the STARTER relay.

When STARTER relay latches, another source of +12 is routed through the 40 amp IGNITION A fuse, through the latched STARTER relay, to the starter solenoid. If the power and ground wiring is good to the start solenoid the large cable carrying +12 from battery will be connected to the starter and it should spin the engine.

Here are a few things I'd try if the truck was in my driveway:

1. Use a meter or test light and with CRANK fuse removed check both sockets of CRANK fuse for +12 when the key is placed to START. Only one socket will be hot - but one of them must be HOT each time you try to START.

2. If step 1 is OK - install CRANK fuse and with key ON, place gear lever to REVERSE and make sure the backup lights are ON. If not, check the fuse, and if fuse is good, suspect the PARK / NEUTRAL / REVERSE switch is wired wrong or not properly indexed.

3. If step 2 OK ... try to start until it fails and then try moving the shift lever while trying to start, also try starting in NEUTRAL.

4. If step 3 makes no difference, listen to START relay for clicks, or remove the relay, and use meter or test light to probe socket mating with relay - pin 85. This pin should be HOT each time key is moved to START. You could also move the selector between DRIVE and 3 and check for +12 at pin 85 - you should NOT have voltage unless the key is turned to START.

5. If +12 is good to this point and with STARTER RELAY removed - "borrow" another identical relay (not related to start or fuel circuit), or use a piece of wire to jumper sockets mating with STARTER relay pins 30 and 87. Be prepared for minor sparking and for the starter to crank. If the starter turns with a different relay, or each time pins 30 and 87 are jumped, the relay is bad.

6. If starter does not crank I'd suspect solenoid, starter or power feed from battery.

I'm guessing the problem is in or near the PARK / NEUTRAL switch. The fact your truck occasionally spins the starter when you move the gear selector between DRIVE and 3 indicates unwanted +12 is being "fed" to the STARTER RELAY.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-27-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #6

thank you very much for the info. i am going to try this out tomorrow as i am on duty today. i purchased a new neutral safety switch but never got around to putting it on. my truck all of a sudden worked for a while until 2 days ago. now as of today the truck still has not turned over except for a couple of times for like a second after minutes of messing around with stuff. i have a new ignition switch on had as well. i am going to try these steps tomorrow and see if i can find the problem. i will post the results when done. thanks again for the information.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #7

If the N?S switch doesn't cure it, then replace the ign switch.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Wheats
If the N?S switch doesn't cure it, then replace the ign switch.
thank you. i am going to replace both of them over the weekend and hopefully monday i will be good to go.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #9

ok so after a couple of weeks of messing with the truck i still have no luck. i have had the neutral safety switch replaced, changed the ignition switch, and checked all of the fuses. still no luck. truck will start one day and i leave it sit over night and wont start the next morning. any other ideas before i sell this truck?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
GO STEELERS !!!

Question Re: 2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!!

other ideas before i sell this truck?
Does the engine PHYSICALLY SPIN as you try to start it or is it acting like the engine is FROZEN UP ???
Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #11

When you did the ign switch, did you happen to push down on the
engaging rod leading down the column to see if the unit would
crank over ? If so, did you try it a few times ? Is there a possibility
that one of the fusible links are shorting out from too much
amperage ? I believe there are some leading from the Alt down
to the starter.

An of course does the engine itself have a seizure problem or
some other hindered item component that would keep it from cranking ?

Once running does it sound ok ?

Last edited by bg's; 02-15-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #12

try hammering on the starter , its a cheap check.... far 2 grumpy gave you alot of good info....... basicly summing it up is check to see if you have 12 volts at the big terminal on the starter and the small terminal on the starter... the small terminal only has 12volts when you try and crank......

and yes try and bar the engine over as well to make sure it will spin... but if you hear the starter doing nothing its problably not that , if you here a clicking underneith a loud click the engine could be stuck
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #13

the engine runs fine when it will start. the truck wouldnt turn over at all last week. i finally had it towed to the shop and i replaced the ignition switch. it wouldnt start before i replaced the switch and after i got done it started. i was happy because i thought i had fixed the problem. the next day truck starts and runs great all day. this morning i go out to the truck and turn the key and nothing happens.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #14

when the truck starts it runs fine. last week it wouldnt turn over at all. i finally had it towed to the shop and replaced the ignition switch. it wouldnt start before i replaced the switch and then after it started. i thought the problem was fixed. sunday i get in the truck and starts right up. runs great all day. monday morning i get in the truck and nothing happens. still wont turn over.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #15

I have a 97 sonoma with 50 thou on it and had the same prob. After replacing the fuel pump.. Brining it to the shop they told me was batt replaced that.. Still no luck Than i took a look at the dustrubuter cap and there was oxidation on it and replaced that and it started like a top.. Take a look at that and give a tune up if havent gotten one for a while. let me know how you make out!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by gmc sonoma
I have a 97 sonoma with 50 thou on it and had the same prob. After replacing the fuel pump.. Brining it to the shop they told me was batt replaced that.. Still no luck Than i took a look at the dustrubuter cap and there was oxidation on it and replaced that and it started like a top.. Take a look at that and give a tune up if havent gotten one for a while. let me know how you make out!
before you replaced the distributer cap did the truck atleast turn over? i need to do a tune up on it and if it fixes the problem then great! i will check that out tomorrow
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #17

Yes it turned over after cranking and cranking for a while than it would turn over.. It would happen after it sat overnight when the engine was cold.. Thats what made me think it was fuel pump. Give it a shot let me know
Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #18

I would change wires, plugs, disst cap and rotar, and fuel filter.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #19

my truck has started fine the past 2 mornings. i am going to change the fuel filter tonight just for fun. i dont see how changing the distributor cap would solve my problem. when my truck doesnt start the motor doesnt even make an attempt to start. its like i am not getting power to the starter. i am going to check all my wiring tonight also.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
GO STEELERS !!!

Exclamation Re: 2000 gmc sonoma wont turn over PLEASE HELP!!!

when my truck doesnt start the motor doesnt even make an attempt to start.

its like i am not getting power to the starter. i am going to check all my wiring tonight also.
Maybe it's not.

Did you double check the wiring to the starter ?

Did you replace the battery connectors ? You will get power, BUT will NOT have the amperage if the connectors are not TIGHT.

These conditions will give symptoms like you are describing.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #21

ignition switch..? Let us know how you made out?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by gmc sonoma
ignition switch..? Let us know how you made out?
nope not the ignition switch. i already changed it. i will post when i fix it haha i am stuck as of right now
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #23

Did you catch the post re- relay? The ignition switch through the neutral safety switch powers a relay (small square relay attached to the firewall above the engine and slightly to the passengers side (your left if your looking under the hood). Is that relay clicking when you turn the key to start? Try swapping the starter relay with one of the other relays of the same type. That relay when powered sends voltage to the small wire on the starter. That COULD explain why when you bang around under the hood that the relay then works. Try tapping the relay while someone holds the key in the start position. This would not explain the phantom starter operation, but then these two troubles might not have the same source.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
goin broke but n style

does this vehicle have anti-theft???
Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #25

yes the vehicle has anti theft and the light doesnt stay on. the other day i had it in the shop and it seems to be coming from the neutral safety switch. i had a new one put on but maybe that one was bad also. it has to be the switch or the wiring. i did all the test on the relays, ignition switch, starter, everything. its defintately coming from the neutral safety switch area. i didnt know there was a relay on the firewall near the passenger side. i will definately check that out
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #26

Hey, I was wondering if you ever figured out this problem, I have a the same vehicle and same problem.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #27

Quote: Originally Posted by ZackGreg7
Hey, I was wondering if you ever figured out this problem, I have a the same vehicle and same problem.
Sure did i took it to the shop and they found that i had a bad ground in the starting circuit. On the back of the engine block is a ground that goes to many things not what sure. I have a small coolant leak and over time it corroded the ground giving me intermitent starting issues. So for you it could be that ground. If not try a neutral safety switch on the side of the tranny. Cheap and easy to install. Or starter relays in the fuse box under the hood. What are your symptoms?? Do the lights dim when u turn the key? Maybe ignition switch? I changed everything before i took it to the shop even the starter so the ground was last for me
Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #28

Quote: Originally Posted by ZackGreg7
Im out to sea right now but email me at clintonb at ffg60.navy.mil if you need more help. Im sure i can figure it out for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #29

First Off, Thanks for all the help its greatly appreciated!

So symptoms include, when key is put in accessories position everything functions as normal, fuel pump and lights all come on like they should and everything in the car works fine. When the key is turned, 85-95% of the time it starts and starts strong, after 2-3 days go by it does the following: When accessories position is turned everything functions as normal like above, but when you turn it farther it just makes a single click sound and the power to everything in the vehicle is cut off. Security light stops blinking, head lamps stay off and key doesnt do anything. What I have been doing to try to get it started after is to unplug the battery, give it 5-10 mins and plug it back in, sometimes power comes back, sometimes it doesnt, also the gauges go wild sometimes, and usually the problem repeats 5-6 times (unplug again, plugin...) , and then finally starts really weak. Lights are dimming at points. and I noticed as I was stranded in a parking lot tonight that if I pull on the Positive lead lights flicker and power may or may not return to the vehicle so I am going to try to replace that tomorrow. I will try to find where that main ground wire goes as well.

Again, sorry for the lengthy email and thanks for any and all of your help.

Zack
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #30

Also I will try to replace the neutral safety switch sometime this week, Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #31

I have to ask what you found and what fixed your problem?

I have a '99 4.3L that started having the EXACT same issues... Good power but when the key is turned over absolutely nothing happens. I have all my gauges etc. but no cranking or any type of mechanical movement.

It happens intermittently whenever, hot or cold, and recently stranded me. I figured if you had the same issue as above (ground wire on the backside of the engine) I should be able to fix this in a snap. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #32

Quote: Originally Posted by LabRat116
My bet is the main/rod bearings are starting to sieze up.

I had a 93 Olds Bravada w/4.3. Ran outstanding. Had great oil pressure too.

One day simply backup in my driveway, the engine just SEIZED UP !!

NO WARNING SIGNS WHAT-SO-EVER !! NONE !!

The dude I sold it to replaced the engine. He said the original engines main bearings were FRIED! !

Again, this engine ran GREAT, had NO NOISES/VIBRATIONS and/or KNOCKING AT ALL !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.