S-10 Forum banner

2000 4.3 shut down when driveing

904 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  burned 
#1 ·
Ok I was driveing down the road and the truck just shut down cranks but don't start the fuel pump runs and all the fuses in the box's are good .
I was told that the computer dus a self check when you turn on the key and was asked if the check engine lite was on but is not on and it don't come on when you fist turn the key ????

#3 ·
Edit:^^^^ yeah that

Engines need three things in order to run (well, technically 4...they have to happen at the right time)

Air, Fuel, & Spark

Check codes with an OBDII

Check for 60+psi of fuel pressure at key on

Check for spark at coil when cranking

#4 ·
No codes

#7 ·
Yes I plugged it in no code comes up

#8 ·
I'm betting its the coil or fuel pump. I have had a few coils and fuel pumps fail me and left me stranded in the 11 years of owning a S10.
Oh and not to mention an ignition switch that would randomly shut off my truck while driving. That was always exciting in traffic :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I was thinking the same thing but the pump comes on and I have no power to the coil

#10 ·
If you do not have 12v at the pink wire to the coil then there is a fuse or wiring problem. Check the 15A ECM1 fuse, that is where the coil gets its power from.

Just for future reference. If the pump comes on it doesn't mean that its good. It may not be producing enough pressure for the injectors to spray.
In this case though it sounds like you have a wiring or blown fuse issue since the coil has no power to it.

#11 ·
I have checked all of the fuses moved all the relays around and try ed a computer and still the same thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.