1998 gmc sonoma problems - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1998 gmc sonoma problems

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #1

1998 gmc sonoma problems

i have a 98 sonoma thats will only crank with gas or carb cleaner sprayed into the tb but once it cranks it will run and crank good till it sits overnight then won't crank again.haven't changed anything yet looking for ideas before i start.thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 1998 gmc sonoma problems

check the fuel pressure. if you don't have a gauge just turn the key on you should hear the pump. then on the silver lines going into the throtal body unscrew the cap use your finger nail to push the valve fuel should spray out this will tell if you have pressure at all on startup.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by flynlo
check the fuel pressure. if you don't have a gauge just turn the key on you should hear the pump. then on the silver lines going into the throtal body unscrew the cap use your finger nail to push the valve fuel should spray out this will tell if you have pressure at all on startup.
there was a small spray out,so i turned the key back on and about the same sprayed out.so i guess next step is to go get a pressure tester to check it,what would be a good start up pressure?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #4

So your 99 4.3 won't start without the help of starter fluid....

Your symptoms are common to fuel pressure issues. The key is to troubleshoot with the use of a fuel pressure gauge. The injection system needs between ~56 to 60 lbs at the fuel rail to start the engine. Then you need a little less to keep it running.
When you first turn the key to RUN (not start), the fuel pump relay turns on for ~4 seconds. The system is expected to have held at least ~35 lbs from the last time it ran. If you have a leak (fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump check valve, spider, injectors) the system may not be able to pump enough gas that quick to reach ~58 lbs. To test for this, you would watch the gauge after turning the engine off. Ideally it should hold pressure for at least a day.
A rapid drop would point away from the pump, but not the pumps check valve, FPR, Spider or injectors.

If it holds good pressure but fails to come up to a high enough pressure to start; expect Suspect plugged fuel filter or weak pump. Continue by supplying fused +12volts to the fuel pump test lead found on the pass. side fire wall (Tan, Brown or gray some times found by the brake boster on 4wd's) for 5+ seconds. If the pressure comes up to par: then replace the fuel pump primer relay. Often when they wear out it takes them longer then needed to energise the contacts.

If the pressure bleeds off too fast; open the veiw cover on the upper intake (covers the fuel injectors) and look for signs of washing. Where gas leaks wash the build up away. You can post a pic here and the experts will point out the leak.
If you don't have a leak but it drops fast, then suspect the check valve at the pump. 3 options; replace the pump. Install an inline check valve. Supply fused+12v to the test lead until the engine starts.

Post you pressure results. Key on run, after start, and leak down after turnned off.

Good luck
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

yep it was the fuel pump thanks all
Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Need LSx swap.....

Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Wheats
If it holds good pressure but fails to come up to a high enough pressure to start; expect Suspect plugged fuel filter or weak pump. Continue by supplying fused +12volts to the fuel pump test lead found on the pass. side fire wall (Tan, Brown or gray some times found by the brake boster on 4wd's) for 5+ seconds. If the pressure comes up to par: then replace the fuel pump primer relay. Often when they wear out it takes them longer then needed to energise the contacts.
is this test lead a loose connector by chance? i have this same problem in my 99, but i havent tried starting fluid. i only get about 12lbs of pressure on the rail while priming. installed a new fuel filter, same results....id like to try bypassing the relay to test that, though i do hear it clicking when turning the key to run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.