Join Date: Jun 2008
azpyroguy is offline
1997 S-10 SS Vortec 4.3 Cranks, But No Start...
I have been helping my father troubleshoot a issue with his S-10.
Model: 97 S-10 SS, with 4.3l W VIN Engine Code, 2 Wheel Drive.
Issue: Cranks, No Start.
History: Prior to the truck only just cranking with no start, it would occasionally cut out while driving, drop back about 200 rpm, throw a SES, but return to normal less than a second later, never actually dying.
We did not have a code scanner until recently, but we were able to scan for codes before it actually quit running, and none were found.
Were using a Innova 3110 Scanner.
We even scanned for codes after it died, and not were found.
We have since:
- Replaced the cap and rotor.
- Checked fuel pressure, at check valve, and its at 62psi
- Strong spark at coil, and all plugs.
- Fuel pump primes, and sounds strong.
- Cranks strong.
- Replaced the cam position sensor
- Replaced the crank position sensor
- Replaced the throttle position sensor
- Checked continuity on all fuses.
- Checked voltages at Ignition control module, and coil.
- Cleaned the contacts on the conectors at the Crank Position, TPS, Coil, and ICM.
- Oil is clean, and has no signs of a blown head gasket.
- All of dash, accessories, and gauges, work fine.
The only thing that we did notice, was that when we put it all back together we accidently got the plug wires in the wrong order, and it wanted to fire.. but just stumbled...
We are down to it maybe being the distributor..... dunno what else it could be... anyone else have any ideas? Injector pulses?