Truck wont start back up after getting warm - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Truck wont start back up after getting warm

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 60v6 Forum (2.8/3.4)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Question Truck wont start back up after getting warm

So heres the lowdown 2.8 4x4 4 speed If the truck gets up to operating temp and i shut it off and try to start it it will turn over but not run. I have spark and it looks like i have fuel the tbi is wet after trying ( hard to do with only me working on it) any Ideas im baffled
Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #2

Re: Truck wont start back up after getting warm

My truck did the same thing, come to find out the coil was getting hot and breaking down. Sounds weird, but that is what it was. I got a new coil from oreilly auto and it's just fine now. Hope that helps ya out.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Budget Ballin FTS!

Same problem here..... and the bad thing is that after about a year your gonna have to get another one.. so keep the reciept.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
i saw what you did there!

egr or module

one or the other probably

although a dying module usually causes the engine to stall when hot and running., and no re start of course.

if its the module then use lots of dielectric grease when installing the new one
Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice gonna try the coil, its never stalled as long as its kept running it will go for hrs, if that dont work i will be back.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #6

Still F-ing doing it left me sitting any other ideas??
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #7

have someone watch when you turn it over is the crank turning ? mine had a bad ring gear on the fly wheel that only did it when warm. had to push & dump the clutch till I fixed it
Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 AM   #8

Ignition control module.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #9

Ignition control module.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Mr. SQ

could be a whole number of things. Mine was doing the same thing, but thats becaues I forgot to plug the EGR solenoid back in when I reinstalled my engine.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #11

have you found out what was wrong yet ?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #12

possible: coil overheating/due for replace, fuel filter or pump going,
Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
Awww..you ain't got shit!

Check the ignition module and also the wires that go from the coil to the distributor for damage. Is it carbed or injected? My 01 acted similarly when the pump started to go. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #14

replaced the ignition module and it still does it sorry for the lack of updates i work the graveyard shift the fuel pump works just not sure what the pressure is and its injected. O and i was driving down the highway today and it up and died no power its sitting in the driveway with a battery charger on it at the moment.... any other ideas??
Old 06-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #15

You replaced the ignition module before checking things further? (not that it couldn't be the culprit of course)

driving and cutout again?

What does "Im gonna try the coil" in your response mean?
(did you buy a new coil? it's not mentioned), buy a new coil. first check coil to dizz wire, and fuel pump. btw: How are you verifying "the fuel pump works" again?

Last edited by joed; 06-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
Awww..you ain't got shit!

Quote: Originally Posted by joed
You replaced the ignition module before checking things further? (not that it couldn't be the culprit of course)

driving and cutout again?

What does "Im gonna try the coil" in your response mean?
(did you buy a new coil? it's not mentioned), buy a new coil. first check coil to dizz wire, and fuel pump. btw: How are you verifying "the fuel pump works" again?
Yep, I had a problem with my 01 with a check engine light that I couldn't get to go away because it was throwing a false code. Replaced the module after exhausting every other avenue. Unfortunately it didn't fix it. Truck runs fine...great even...the light can stay on with its BS code for the oxygen sensor that doesn't exist. Point is, it was a waste of money (although I have a spare). They can test those at Autozone or Advance.

I agree with Joed. It is VERY common for coils to cut out when they start to break down. They exhibit the same symptoms you are talking about. They're cheap, so I would go there if you haven't already. It's usually the easy stupid stuff on an issue like this. As tinkerers, we sometimes like to overcomplicate it.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #17

i did replace the coil first. then the ignition module. and to test the fuel pump i jumpered the fuel pump relay and saw fuel in the throttle body. i will test the fuel pressure in the next couple days.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #18

I have a similar problem, but I don't believe it's the fuel or ignition. My 2.8 89 S-10 barely turns over when it gets to operating temp, yet I can jump start it in 2nd gear and it runs just fine. I have a feeling that the starter might be getting too hot from the exhaust, then taking a huge power draw to barley turn it over. I was thinking of building a heat shield for the starter. Any other ideas or related fixes?
Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #19
daily dragger

i had a prob like that with an 94 s10.would start right up when cold.shut it off when it gets warm and it wont start just cranks.it was map sensor.replace it with a junk yard one and it been working great for 20000 miles.not sure if your has one but id look into it
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #20

Had a problem like this on my '87 s10. It turned out to be one of the three relays under the hood. I forget exactly what was causing it, but it was something along the lines of the oil thinning out when it warmed up was lowing the oil pressure and tripping some safety feature.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #21

dude ig mod, regoop every tune up i have three s10 and ever f'in time the ig mod was the prob. careful with the wires they are exposed to too much heat this is the prob with the design it is a known prob amounst mechanics and i was told to maintain good gas miles to replace ever 30k
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #22
Mr. SQ

what is an ig mod?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Ford Diesel Tech

i just had mine doin that except when u shut it off it wouldnt turn over but as soon as i put a charger on the battery it started right up it was the starter solenoid when shut down it would get hot because of HEAT SOAK and not operate
Old 07-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #24

I always heard that it was the temp sensor that goes to the computer. If it goes bad it then it still thinks it's doing a cold start and putting out too much gas, flooding the engine.

My truck also doesn't start when it's hot, I have to floor the gas to get it to start, then sit there for a minute burning off all the extra gas I flooded it with. I've got a new sensor, I'll let you know if it fixes it when I put it in this weekend hopefully.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #25

Hey guy's,, I have 99 Blazer 4.3 with similar troubles, I replace the ign. module, coil, fuel pump module,still drive it for a hour or so,,, shut it off,, won't restart,,wtf.. let it sit for an hour it would start back up. ran fine for short trips but just not long, over an hour trips..could it be the spider?? or the pressure reg.??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.