S10 3800 Swap - S-10 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 212 Old 05-26-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
S10 3800 Swap

ANYONE WANT TO DO A 3800 S10 SWAP?????

XTC28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 212 Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Honor, Grace, and Dignity
 
Rustdaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 352

User is: Rustdaway is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Sure, come on the board start yelling at everyone and expect them to buy from you.

How about, location, experiance, product line and hp and tq numbers, time needed, and so forth.

This kind of information would help people make that decision.

If you want to run 3.8 Vs 3.8 Let me know. Be happy to run any F body you have.

God didn't promise an easy life...but a soft landing.
1989 Thunderbird SC 5spd 408 RWHP 465 RWTQ
1997 Thunderbird Auto 201 RWHP 235RWTQ
2004 F350 6.0 607 RWHP 823 RWTQ
2007 Freestyle Momma's
1992 Ext. Cab S10 2.8
Rustdaway is offline  
post #3 of 212 Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered User
 
34blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holloman
Age: 33
Posts: 1,063

User is: 34blazer is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

not to mention this is the 60*v6 forum

USAF
'86 Grand National - LZ9 swap(in progress)
'97 Ram SS/T 360/.030 over.
34blazer is offline  
post #4 of 212 Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
4x4 v6 blazer
 
neo71665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: rison arkansas
Age: 36
Posts: 7,521

User is: neo71665 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

um 3800 aint a 60 degree motor, turn your caps lock off, and no I don't wanna do a 3800 swap, for all the trouble it would take I'd rather just have a v8 in my truck.

87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 5.7, auto, sfa 4x4
91 noma reg cab, 3.4, 5speed, lowered
President of the Arkansas chapter Anti-bag Coalition
"Bags are for groceries"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarm_the_alarm View Post
Lift That Sh*t, Fat Girls Can't Jump
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
i just made love to your bowels......and then reported them.

neo71665 is offline  
post #5 of 212 Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
I Rather Be Wheelin'
 
ChrisInVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Woods, VT
Posts: 4,847

User is: ChrisInVT is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

I'd rather not have my truck spontaneously burst into flames.

Thanks for the offer though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 96superflow View Post
Who needs independent suspensions when you have independent engines?
1987 4.3L 2D GMC S-15 4WD X-Cab Anti-Bro Truck (4.3 & 700R4 Swap, Custom bumpers, too many other mods. )
ChrisInVT is offline  
post #6 of 212 Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM
WNYTrucks Creator
 
White2000LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: East Bumf**k
Age: 30
Posts: 184

User is: White2000LS is offline
Send a message via AIM to White2000LS
Re: S10 3800 Swap

my vote goes to "aids"
White2000LS is offline  
post #7 of 212 Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

sorry guys didnt mean to let ya think I was selling anything, I'm not. Just a project I'm working on. really not much work though. The 3800 is a 90* and 60* setup, best of both worlds. It is a rewarding swap none the less. Just curious to see what other people have to say.
XTC28 is offline  
post #8 of 212 Old 06-01-2008, 01:25 PM
4x4 v6 blazer
 
neo71665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: rison arkansas
Age: 36
Posts: 7,521

User is: neo71665 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

The 3.8/3800 is has 60 degree banks but uses a 90 degree bell housing, I give you that much.

Why go though all the trouble of swaping out the drive train and get it ready for a 3.8 when you can just as easily put a 4.3 or v8 in it and get a bigger motor, more power, and less headache?

You can claim the different card but that only works when its feasible, just makes no sense to me to go through all the trouble and still not have much to show for it (still a small v6)

Claim the gas mileage but that only applies to the v8 cause the 3.8 doesn't get much better than a 4.3 which is still easier to swap in vs a 3.8 cause all the factory parts to do it are out there.

Most of us are running 2.8/3.1/3.4s cause its what we got and don't really wanna swap out for our own reasons. Your proposing a swap that will involve a lot of work for not much gain vs swaps that already have kits or was a factory option and easy to do. I'm not trying to shoot your idea down and hope you go through with it cause I love seeing oddball swaps but for most of the normal guys on here its never gonna happen and the troubles far outweigh the gains in my eyes.

87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 5.7, auto, sfa 4x4
91 noma reg cab, 3.4, 5speed, lowered
President of the Arkansas chapter Anti-bag Coalition
"Bags are for groceries"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarm_the_alarm View Post
Lift That Sh*t, Fat Girls Can't Jump
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
i just made love to your bowels......and then reported them.

neo71665 is offline  
post #9 of 212 Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Ok, well I can see your point. Many people prefer the 3800 to the 4.3 that goes for me as well, but to each his own. ther are pros and cons but if you have the drive train already all you reall gotta do is modify the stock f-body mounts and slide engine forward in engine bay slightly. I am going to finish it and I hope you guys enjoy the results I will l26 w/ m90 blower in 92 s10 this is always fun.
XTC28 is offline  
post #10 of 212 Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Honor, Grace, and Dignity
 
Rustdaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 352

User is: Rustdaway is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC28 View Post
w/ m90 blower is always fun.
We have to run sometime. Should come up to the GTP vs SC club clash we have twice a year in IA.

God didn't promise an easy life...but a soft landing.
1989 Thunderbird SC 5spd 408 RWHP 465 RWTQ
1997 Thunderbird Auto 201 RWHP 235RWTQ
2004 F350 6.0 607 RWHP 823 RWTQ
2007 Freestyle Momma's
1992 Ext. Cab S10 2.8
Rustdaway is offline  
post #11 of 212 Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM
really slow
 
99shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bennet, NE
Age: 25
Posts: 389

User is: 99shorty is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

i've always wanted to do a 3800 swap, its a great little motor that isn't hard to build for performance. here's some info that i've collected about s-10/3800 swaps.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/2-8-4-3-bah-3800-for-me-2766/
http://forums.motorswap.org/viewtopic.php?t=2340
i've got more info, i just can't find it right now, i'll keep lookin
if you are going to go through with the swap, you should make a build thread, i'd be really interested with what you come up with.

good luck

DD- 99 s-10 2.2 5 speed HIDs bags/4" drop

-I know enough to know I don't know enough
99shorty is offline  
post #12 of 212 Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

cool you guys are as bad as I thought .

Last edited by XTC28; 06-02-2008 at 10:41 PM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #13 of 212 Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99shorty View Post
i've always wanted to do a 3800 swap, its a great little motor that isn't hard to build for performance. here's some info that i've collected about s-10/3800 swaps.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/2-8-4-3-bah-3800-for-me-2766/
http://forums.motorswap.org/viewtopic.php?t=2340
i've got more info, i just can't find it right now, i'll keep lookin
if you are going to go through with the swap, you should make a build thread, i'd be really interested with what you come up with.

good luck
thanx a bunch and you bet i'll post a build thread.....
XTC28 is offline  
post #14 of 212 Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered User
 
34blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holloman
Age: 33
Posts: 1,063

User is: 34blazer is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
The 3.8/3800 is has 60 degree banks but uses a 90 degree bell housing, I give you that much.

Why go though all the trouble of swaping out the drive train and get it ready for a 3.8 when you can just as easily put a 4.3 or v8 in it and get a bigger motor, more power, and less headache?

You can claim the different card but that only works when its feasible, just makes no sense to me to go through all the trouble and still not have much to show for it (still a small v6)

Claim the gas mileage but that only applies to the v8 cause the 3.8 doesn't get much better than a 4.3 which is still easier to swap in vs a 3.8 cause all the factory parts to do it are out there.

Most of us are running 2.8/3.1/3.4s cause its what we got and don't really wanna swap out for our own reasons. Your proposing a swap that will involve a lot of work for not much gain vs swaps that already have kits or was a factory option and easy to do. I'm not trying to shoot your idea down and hope you go through with it cause I love seeing oddball swaps but for most of the normal guys on here its never gonna happen and the troubles far outweigh the gains in my eyes.
the 3.8 is a 90* v6 and so is the 3800 and they both use the corporate large bellhousing bolt pattern.

USAF
'86 Grand National - LZ9 swap(in progress)
'97 Ram SS/T 360/.030 over.
34blazer is offline  
post #15 of 212 Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
really slow
 
99shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bennet, NE
Age: 25
Posts: 389

User is: 99shorty is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

o and i've also read that holden makes an M90 housing for rear wheel drive aplications, so if you ever want to supercharge, its basically bolt on and tune

DD- 99 s-10 2.2 5 speed HIDs bags/4" drop

-I know enough to know I don't know enough
99shorty is offline  
post #16 of 212 Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM
4x4 v6 blazer
 
neo71665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: rison arkansas
Age: 36
Posts: 7,521

User is: neo71665 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Another company makes a supercharger for a 2.8 s-10, was a guy on here somewhere that has one on his 3.4 dime.

34blazer, your right a 3.8 is a true 90 with 90 degree banks and the 90 degree bellhousing. I was thinking of another motor that I was reading about earlier the day.

87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 5.7, auto, sfa 4x4
91 noma reg cab, 3.4, 5speed, lowered
President of the Arkansas chapter Anti-bag Coalition
"Bags are for groceries"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarm_the_alarm View Post
Lift That Sh*t, Fat Girls Can't Jump
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
i just made love to your bowels......and then reported them.

neo71665 is offline  
post #17 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
the 3.8 is a 90* v6 and so is the 3800 and they both use the corporate large bellhousing bolt pattern.
I'm not trying to get into a pissin contest w/ anyone. See here you're both wrong, 3.8l/3800 S1 & S2 are 90* v6' w/ 60* bell housing. your stock tranny from a 2.8l, 3.1l, 3.4l, 3.5l, etc will all fit. Like I said best of both worlds, in a sense. Sorry really didn't want to correct the first guy then the second guy argues, and unfortunately he's wrong too. Does anyone se my predictament?
Here's is what I propose: If anyone wants the thread moved to another section, just say so.. Secondly I know you guys are 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, Hybrid guys or even 4.3l guys. But the thing is there are other engines that are just as viable swaps as your stock or bolt-in swaps. The 3.8l/3800 produces some pretty interesting power figures, using stock parts!!! And in my opinion it (3.8l/3800) needs to be liberated to a more common swap. The problem is people think its too hard to accomplish or they have a closed mind about other engines than the one they like.
Guys, don't get me wrong I like all types of manufacturers, engines tranny's, cars, and other products(to a limit, some just break or suck too bad). All I'm saying is hey this is pretty bad ass! Have you ever thought of it? Not too many people do. Sarcasm and BS comments really dont make for good conversation. I realize I am new and that it is hard to trust people on the net, but hey give me shot and I may have something worth a damn to contribute.
As for you guys who have had real things to say, THANK YOU.

Last edited by XTC28; 06-04-2008 at 01:31 AM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #18 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 AM
really slow
 
99shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bennet, NE
Age: 25
Posts: 389

User is: 99shorty is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

i see that you have done this before
http://www.3800pro.com/forum/rear-wh...onversion.html

DD- 99 s-10 2.2 5 speed HIDs bags/4" drop

-I know enough to know I don't know enough
99shorty is offline  
post #19 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99shorty View Post
i see that you have done this before
http://www.3800pro.com/forum/rear-wh...onversion.html
Yes
XTC28 is offline  
post #20 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
really slow
 
99shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bennet, NE
Age: 25
Posts: 389

User is: 99shorty is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

found some more links/info
http://forums.motorswap.org/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0
http://www.gmv6.org/

DD- 99 s-10 2.2 5 speed HIDs bags/4" drop

-I know enough to know I don't know enough
99shorty is offline  
post #21 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Registered User
 
sonomanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: toledo
Age: 27
Posts: 4,851

User is: sonomanator is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

so what would win a race a 2000 4.3 s10 with bolt ons or a 1996 3.8 grand am. not that i have a 2000 4.3 s10 with bolt ons im just wondering lol.

edited this 12/2013 but i wont be back for years.
sonomanator is offline  
post #22 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99shorty View Post
yeah thanks man. REDFRK is on another site I got banned on, for (trying to sell my wares) which was untrue. they were't even services that we offer. Just reall ythink they had it out for me, but O' well. His was pretty cool but mine was really much different.
XTC28 is offline  
post #23 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomanator View Post
so what would win a race a 2000 4.3 s10 with bolt ons or a 1996 3.8 grand am. not that i have a 2000 4.3 s10 with bolt ons im just wondering lol.
Well we both know the answer there. But again thats not the point if you put both s-10 same year same everything , but one w/ 3.8l one w/ 4.3l both w/ minor bolt ons (minor being a vague discription), the 3.8l will win hands down....
XTC28 is offline  
post #24 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
Another company makes a supercharger for a 2.8 s-10, was a guy on here somewhere that has one on his 3.4 dime.

34blazer, your right a 3.8 is a true 90 with 90 degree banks and the 90 degree bellhousing. I was thinking of another motor that I was reading about earlier the day.
Thomas Knight makes abolt on belt driven turbo for any engine. Google him and see. KICK@$$
Also makes some pretty cool e-chargers as well
Sorry about the multi-post. And the rant.

Last edited by XTC28; 06-04-2008 at 01:56 AM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #25 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Registered User
 
sonomanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: toledo
Age: 27
Posts: 4,851

User is: sonomanator is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

idk about hands down ive been driving my brothers around and it seems like it would be close.

edited this 12/2013 but i wont be back for years.
sonomanator is offline  
post #26 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomanator View Post
idk about hands down ive been driving my brothers around and it seems like it would be close.
MY old 3800 s-10 ran a 13.5 w/ just an m90 bonneville super charger, 24 lb injectors, headers, exhuast, and a terrible tune. 288 RWHP & 314RWTQ, 301 RWHP 3328 RWTQ 12.77 @ 121 mph W/ a good tune. Thats not even close to MY 2000 s10 vortec 4.3l w/ headers, exhaust, and a tune w/several other mods as well. I know from exp. HANDS DOWN!!! 2000 S10 @ 265 RWHP & 277 RWTQ @ 14.77 1/4 mile time @ 99 mph. 4.3l w/ turbo i.e. Syclone might have a better chance.

Last edited by XTC28; 06-04-2008 at 02:28 AM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #27 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Registered User
 
sonomanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: toledo
Age: 27
Posts: 4,851

User is: sonomanator is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

i guess it must be faster since it weights 1000 pounds less and has the almost the same h.p but the 4.3 has more torque and h.p

edited this 12/2013 but i wont be back for years.
sonomanator is offline  
post #28 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Registered User
 
ArtosDracon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 1,545

User is: ArtosDracon is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

The 3800 is a good little engine. XTC28 is correct that it uses the 60* belhousing but is a true 90* engine. I've built a few of these for camaros and W bodies and they're potent engines when done right. The most radical built to date was for a camaro, we did a twin turbo, big cam, custom intake manifold and full dual 3" exhaust and it made just over 500hp at the flywheel. Craziest thing about that car was though, with the t-56 it would still get about 25mpg highway with 3.50 gears in a built 9".

I honnestly think that with a flipped m90 housing an L67 would be a GREAT engine for an s10. I've worked a few L32/L36s and they're good, especially if you want something a little milder, maybe some spray, but, they're plenty ballsy. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.3L, had one in my 00 Sierra that we supercharged with full headers and a 75 shot through earlier(96 if I remember right) CMPI intake converted to MPI with ported and polished heads off the same S10 with some forged pistons and rods and the comp 224? cam and it ran like a scalded ass ape and could have easily handed a 200 shot or roughly 2 BAR from the supercharger that had been running at about 1.5 BAR.

I've played with too many cars and trucks that go way to fast to have to pick one, the bottom line that I've learned is that everyone likes something a little different and the whole point of this hobby is to have some fun.
ArtosDracon is offline  
post #29 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Professional Insultant
 
TokoDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Idaho
Age: 28
Posts: 5,260

User is: TokoDragon is offline
Send a message via MSN to TokoDragon
Re: S10 3800 Swap

The 3800 was voted most reliable engine in the USA a few years ago.

At auto tech the auto tech instructor brought his wife's pontiac bonneville in and we rebuilt the 3800 and then he super charged it for being a huge 4 door sedan it'd pin you in your seat was cool how long it'd do a burn out with the automatic transmisson (when the traction control was turned off) before he rebuilt it it'd just make a churp when taking off.


I was looking on the beretta forums and heard a few guys were trying to squeeze the 3800 into the beretta and corsicas. Then on cardomain.com there is a Cavalier with a 3800 supercharged

http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/526752

oops guess it's been awhile, he's turbocharged it now. he's claiming 600 horses at the wheels in a cavalier... with a 11.56 second 1/4th mile..

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBmKNfTl70

Last edited by TokoDragon; 06-04-2008 at 06:45 AM.
TokoDragon is offline  
post #30 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Registered User
 
ArtosDracon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 1,545

User is: ArtosDracon is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokoDragon View Post
I was looking on the beretta forums and heard a few guys were trying to squeeze the 3800 into the beretta and corsicas. Then on cardomain.com there is a Cavalier with a 3800 supercharged

http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/526752

oops guess it's been awhile, he's turbocharged it now. he's claiming 600 horses at the wheels in a cavalier... with a 11.56 second 1/4th mile..

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBmKNfTl70
Doubtful, The fastest FWD 3800 powered vehicle is Bob Cooks 99 GP GT with the full Intense stage 4 turbo set-up running 8.90's. There are a few guys in teh low-mid 11s running upgraded M90's or little to4s and novi2000s with nitrous and ported heads, that kinda set-up would only be pushing about 325-340 to the wheels. 600hp in a cavalier with either a BUILT 4t65eHD or the G6 6-speed if it could get enough traction to keep 60's under 2sec would be running in the area of 9.5-10s depending a lot on traction at shifts. Besides that, 600hp out of a turbo 3800 would take stage 4 heads, twin turbos and nitrous and race gas, not to mention being completely built with forged internals. The second fastest FWD and the fastest RWD guys are both running twin turbos and I know Tim King(RWD) has blown his aluminum intake manifold through the hood at least once.
ArtosDracon is offline  
post #31 of 212 Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Professional Insultant
 
TokoDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Idaho
Age: 28
Posts: 5,260

User is: TokoDragon is offline
Send a message via MSN to TokoDragon
Re: S10 3800 Swap

that's why I just put "claims" just copied the numbers from his cardomain page. I guess it was worded as "His goal is 600 once turbo is tuned"

dunno
TokoDragon is offline  
post #32 of 212 Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered User
 
34blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holloman
Age: 33
Posts: 1,063

User is: 34blazer is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
The 3800 is a good little engine. XTC28 is correct that it uses the 60* belhousing but is a true 90* engine. I've built a few of these for camaros and W bodies and they're potent engines when done right. The most radical built to date was for a camaro, we did a twin turbo, big cam, custom intake manifold and full dual 3" exhaust and it made just over 500hp at the flywheel. Craziest thing about that car was though, with the t-56 it would still get about 25mpg highway with 3.50 gears in a built 9".

I honnestly think that with a flipped m90 housing an L67 would be a GREAT engine for an s10. I've worked a few L32/L36s and they're good, especially if you want something a little milder, maybe some spray, but, they're plenty ballsy. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.3L, had one in my 00 Sierra that we supercharged with full headers and a 75 shot through earlier(96 if I remember right) CMPI intake converted to MPI with ported and polished heads off the same S10 with some forged pistons and rods and the comp 224? cam and it ran like a scalded ass ape and could have easily handed a 200 shot or roughly 2 BAR from the supercharger that had been running at about 1.5 BAR.

I've played with too many cars and trucks that go way to fast to have to pick one, the bottom line that I've learned is that everyone likes something a little different and the whole point of this hobby is to have some fun.
the 3.8 used the corporate large bellhousing pattern from 62-87. after that i wasnt sure. i can dig up some pics if anyones interested.

USAF
'86 Grand National - LZ9 swap(in progress)
'97 Ram SS/T 360/.030 over.
34blazer is offline  
post #33 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
the 3.8 used the corporate large bellhousing pattern from 62-87. after that i wasnt sure. i can dig up some pics if anyones interested.
You are right about that, thanx for the correction.
but you see, that motor and this motor are almost entirely different. Making them different engines.
XTC28 is offline  
post #34 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomanator View Post
i guess it must be faster since it weights 1000 pounds less and has the almost the same h.p but the 4.3 has more torque and h.p
As for difference in weight it was more like 1234 lbs and it is major factor
as for the H.P. and TQ all I can say is.......read again, bubba.

Last edited by XTC28; 06-06-2008 at 02:01 AM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #35 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
The 3800 is a good little engine. XTC28 is correct that it uses the 60* belhousing but is a true 90* engine.

I honnestly think that with a flipped m90 housing an L67 would be a GREAT engine for an s10.

I've played with too many cars and trucks that go way to fast to have to pick one, the bottom line that I've learned is that everyone likes something a little different and the whole point of this hobby is to have some fun.
you can't flip m90, doesn't work that way. I wish it were that simple.

Great point about different likes and just to have fun! But some people have the wrong ideas about certain engines, swaps, potential, and reliability. Just because you like something doesn't make it logical to do it......or does it.

new pics of 92 s10 coming up (stripped and being painted)

Last edited by XTC28; 06-06-2008 at 02:08 AM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #36 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC28 View Post
MY old 3800 s-10 ran a 13.5 w/ just an m90 bonneville super charger, 24 lb injectors, headers, exhuast, and a terrible tune. 288 RWHP & 314RWTQ, 301 RWHP 3328 RWTQ 12.77 @ 121 mph W/ a good tune. Thats not even close to MY 2000 s10 vortec 4.3l w/ headers, exhaust, and a tune w/several other mods as well. I know from exp. HANDS DOWN!!! 2000 S10 @ 265 RWHP & 277 RWTQ @ 14.77 1/4 mile time @ 99 mph. 4.3l w/ turbo i.e. Syclone might have a better chance.
sorry 328 RWTQ not 3328 RWTQ
XTC28 is offline  
post #37 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Registered User
 
ArtosDracon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 1,545

User is: ArtosDracon is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

I didn't mean flipped quite so literally, there is an aftermarket housing designed to bolt onto camaro 3800s and let you use an L67 top end and factory m90 internals on L32/L36s and retain stock nose drive but, wrap the inlet around 180*. I wish it were as simple as flipping them somehow too.

Honestly after turboing a few 3800s, both singles and doubles everything from 48mmt03s to 90ish mm T7s and a couple schwitzers along the way the superchargers just aren't the way to go, especially in FWD cars. I have played with one of the animul performance whipple 140 kits with an LS1TB and some zzperformance stage 3 heads and a custom ground cam on a 2002 monte carlo and it was just too much for the transaxle but, that would be one hell of a kit for a camaro if the 140 could have an inlet adaper made or if they could manage a rear driven supercharger with a cross shaft to transfer from a front pulley and a new lower intake manifold. I think that thing was making 500WHP and like 460ft/lbs with a pretty small pulley on it and a larger crank pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC28 View Post
you can't flip m90, doesn't work that way. I wish it were that simple.

Great point about different likes and just to have fun! But some people have the wrong ideas about certain engines, swaps, potential, and reliability. Just because you like something doesn't make it logical to do it......or does it.

new pics of 92 s10 coming up (stripped and being painted)
ArtosDracon is offline  
post #38 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
I didn't mean flipped quite so literally, there is an aftermarket housing designed to bolt onto camaro 3800s and let you use an L67 top end and factory m90 internals on L32/L36s and retain stock nose drive but, wrap the inlet around 180*. I wish it were as simple as flipping them somehow too.

Honestly after turboing a few 3800s, both singles and doubles everything from 48mmt03s to 90ish mm T7s and a couple schwitzers along the way the superchargers just aren't the way to go, especially in FWD cars. I have played with one of the animul performance whipple 140 kits with an LS1TB and some zzperformance stage 3 heads and a custom ground cam on a 2002 monte carlo and it was just too much for the transaxle but, that would be one hell of a kit for a camaro if the 140 could have an inlet adaper made or if they could manage a rear driven supercharger with a cross shaft to transfer from a front pulley and a new lower intake manifold. I think that thing was making 500WHP and like 460ft/lbs with a pretty small pulley on it and a larger crank pulley.
Awesome

where is this flip kit
XTC28 is offline  
post #39 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Honor, Grace, and Dignity
 
Rustdaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 352

User is: Rustdaway is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC28 View Post
MY old 3800 s-10 ran a 13.5 w/ just an m90 bonneville super charger, 24 lb injectors,
Weak Sauce. Have 60lb injectors in mine. 85mm TB and 80mm C&L Maf, But the best part is InnerCooled allowing for conistant 1/4 times instead of popping the hood an having to wait an hour between runs.

Methanol injection works wonders on it as well. Nitrous I found was fun with a 2 stage 250 shot, but it was removed.

Again, any 3800 F Body setup you have I would like to run anytime you are in the Midwest area running just let me know. NE, IA, IL, MN, WI.

Mines a pig going across the scales at 4,200 lbs in race trim.

God didn't promise an easy life...but a soft landing.
1989 Thunderbird SC 5spd 408 RWHP 465 RWTQ
1997 Thunderbird Auto 201 RWHP 235RWTQ
2004 F350 6.0 607 RWHP 823 RWTQ
2007 Freestyle Momma's
1992 Ext. Cab S10 2.8

Last edited by Rustdaway; 06-06-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Rustdaway is offline  
post #40 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 PM
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~
 
DJDAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Age: 33
Posts: 23,957

User is: DJDAudio is offline
Send a message via AIM to DJDAudio Send a message via Yahoo to DJDAudio
Re: S10 3800 Swap

off topic my old Regal had a 3800 and damn did I love that little motor

Still have the badges for it lol

The opinions and views expressed in the above post are the intellectual property of DJDAudio. The above mentioned information shall also hold no legal binding against Doug DeHaven in the court of law.

---\\\CALCULATE Compressor fill time HERE ///---

QUOTE: (Kevdog00) "You sir are like the Einstein of Mini Truckin'! lol"
DJDAudio is offline  
post #41 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustdaway View Post
Weak Sauce. Have 60lb injectors in mine. 85mm TB and 80mm C&L Maf, But the best part is InnerCooled allowing for conistant 1/4 times instead of popping the hood an having to wait an hour between runs.

Methanol injection works wonders on it as well. Nitrous I found was fun with a 2 stage 250 shot, but it was removed.

Again, any 3800 F Body setup you have I would like to run anytime you are in the Midwest area running just let me know. NE, IA, IL, MN, WI.

Mines a pig going across the scales at 4,200 lbs in race trim.
I would love to run you, but I fear we live too far away from each other maybe. I live in Louisiana. With the #'s your showing' I'd probably get smoked, it would be fun. If you're ever around Gilliam in La. give me a call. PM me and I will give #'s. Also if I come up that way, I would love to see your rides!
XTC28 is offline  
post #42 of 212 Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Honor, Grace, and Dignity
 
Rustdaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 352

User is: Rustdaway is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

It's just nice to get around some other v6 M90 engines and see them run. Neighbor just bought a GTP and put Nitrous on it. On his 2nd tranny already. LOL

God didn't promise an easy life...but a soft landing.
1989 Thunderbird SC 5spd 408 RWHP 465 RWTQ
1997 Thunderbird Auto 201 RWHP 235RWTQ
2004 F350 6.0 607 RWHP 823 RWTQ
2007 Freestyle Momma's
1992 Ext. Cab S10 2.8
Rustdaway is offline  
post #43 of 212 Old 06-07-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

This time I'm thinking about using P&P GTP heads, P&P f-body intake, w/ a dual bore LT1 throttle body, 88mm MAF, (12 28lb bosch injectors or methanol in GTP injector port w/ 6 36 lb bosch injectors), and last but not least onthe upper end upgrade a belt driven turbo from Thomas Knight. All on a stock bottom end, except for bearings, and no balance shafts. Hopefully power #'s will be significantly higher than the last set-up. Any comments?

Last edited by XTC28; 06-07-2008 at 12:33 AM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #44 of 212 Old 12-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 35
Posts: 12

User is: CoreyDTesta is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

i put a sc3800 in my truck last year and the swap was simple,all u crying too much trouble must b afriad new things or sumtin, a stock 3800 puts out a lil better power than a stock vortec 350 and the fuel mileage from the 3800 is near untouchable for a v6,in the 4,000 lb regals and gtps and everything the 3800 comes in get 30 mpg hwy,my 98 sonoma is only 3000, it had the vortec 4.3 in it originally and even with the 3.8 stock it has a far wider power range and there fore smokes the stock 4.3, i have a race built 406 in my 84 bodydropped dime , so i wanted to try sumtin different, the 3.8 is a monster when ya start crankin the boost up and lettin it breathe with a 5 spd trans. the truck is light so the airbags let it jump around easy and even modded to near 400 hp i still get at least 30 mpg on the highway, a few years back a gm salesman buddy of mine had one of gmc special builds,was a lil step side awd sonoma wit a gm performace built 4.3, no power adders and it had a solid 400 hp,it was pullin away from the porshes 911s out on the track which blew my mind right there alone, but anyways the sc3800 swap is a very worthwhile one, if u have questions email me thro here and ill leave ya my msn,L8r....
Corey, Kingston,Ontario,Canada
CoreyDTesta is offline  
post #45 of 212 Old 12-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 35
Posts: 12

User is: CoreyDTesta is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
Doubtful, The fastest FWD 3800 powered vehicle is Bob Cooks 99 GP GT with the full Intense stage 4 turbo set-up running 8.90's. There are a few guys in teh low-mid 11s running upgraded M90's or little to4s and novi2000s with nitrous and ported heads, that kinda set-up would only be pushing about 325-340 to the wheels. 600hp in a cavalier with either a BUILT 4t65eHD or the G6 6-speed if it could get enough traction to keep 60's under 2sec would be running in the area of 9.5-10s depending a lot on traction at shifts. Besides that, 600hp out of a turbo 3800 would take stage 4 heads, twin turbos and nitrous and race gas, not to mention being completely built with forged internals. The second fastest FWD and the fastest RWD guys are both running twin turbos and I know Tim King(RWD) has blown his aluminum intake manifold through the hood at least once.

yea cooks is one of the quickest , 600 hp isnt un reasonable its gettin it to the ground in a fwd and wit an 11.56 time i bet it was spinnin 3/4 of the way
CoreyDTesta is offline  
post #46 of 212 Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 35
Posts: 12

User is: CoreyDTesta is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyDTesta View Post
i put a sc3800 in my truck last year and the swap was simple,all u crying too much trouble must b afriad new things or sumtin, a stock 3800 puts out a lil better power than a stock vortec 350 and the fuel mileage from the 3800 is near untouchable for a v6,in the 4,000 lb regals and gtps and everything the 3800 comes in get 30 mpg hwy,my 98 sonoma is only 3000, it had the vortec 4.3 in it originally and even with the 3.8 stock it has a far wider power range and there fore smokes the stock 4.3, i have a race built 406 in my 84 bodydropped dime , so i wanted to try sumtin different, the 3.8 is a monster when ya start crankin the boost up and lettin it breathe with a 5 spd trans. the truck is light so the airbags let it jump around easy and even modded to near 400 hp i still get at least 30 mpg on the highway, a few years back a gm salesman buddy of mine had one of gmc special builds,was a lil step side awd sonoma wit a gm performace built 4.3, no power adders and it had a solid 400 hp,it was pullin away from the porshes 911s out on the track which blew my mind right there alone, but anyways the sc3800 swap is a very worthwhile one, if u have questions email me thro here and ill leave ya my msn,L8r....
Corey, Kingston,Ontario,Canada

i meant the 3800 lives with a 5 spd, not lettin it breathe with a 5 spd lmfao
CoreyDTesta is offline  
post #47 of 212 Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 PM
GRM Challenge Truck
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 542

User is: dusterbd13 is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

corey: what did you do for motor mounts?

id love tos ee pictures and specs, details, etc. might be in my cards soon, instead of the 3.4

Michael

3.4 MPFI DIS swap, 5 speed swap, autometer gauges, tall ball joints, 3/5, and nowhere near stock anywhere else either.

its a spec miata with a bed.

My project thread http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...beater-352595/
dusterbd13 is offline  
post #48 of 212 Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Unmotivated
 
Freek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indy
Age: 23
Posts: 1,533

User is: Freek is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

I'm not starting anything, just saying. Maybe some people just have a 3.8 sitting around. So they would rather not spend the money on a 4.3. Just saying.

Personally I like the idea.
Freek is offline  
post #49 of 212 Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Honor, Grace, and Dignity
 
Rustdaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 352

User is: Rustdaway is offline
Re: S10 3800 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
Doubtful, The fastest FWD 3800 powered vehicle is Bob Cooks 99 GP GT with the full Intense stage 4 turbo set-up running 8.90's. There are a few guys in teh low-mid 11s running upgraded M90's or little to4s and novi2000s with nitrous and ported heads, that kinda set-up would only be pushing about 325-340 to the wheels. 600hp in a cavalier with either a BUILT 4t65eHD or the G6 6-speed if it could get enough traction to keep 60's under 2sec would be running in the area of 9.5-10s depending a lot on traction at shifts. Besides that, 600hp out of a turbo 3800 would take stage 4 heads, twin turbos and nitrous and race gas, not to mention being completely built with forged internals. The second fastest FWD and the fastest RWD guys are both running twin turbos and I know Tim King(RWD) has blown his aluminum intake manifold through the hood at least once.
Never heard of those guys, but 8.9 is pretty quick for a GTP, but the guys we run against are pushing that time with 9.0 and 9.2s with the SC. Problem is they can only make 1 run an hour without it being IC'd.

Problem with the GTPs is the tranny. Best have a couple laying around, because they will break. GTPs are 6 to 800 lbs lighter than our cars and we run with them pretty good.

God didn't promise an easy life...but a soft landing.
1989 Thunderbird SC 5spd 408 RWHP 465 RWTQ
1997 Thunderbird Auto 201 RWHP 235RWTQ
2004 F350 6.0 607 RWHP 823 RWTQ
2007 Freestyle Momma's
1992 Ext. Cab S10 2.8
Rustdaway is offline  
post #50 of 212 Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Registered User
 
s/c sonoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: baltimore md
Age: 39
Posts: 1

User is: s/c sonoma is offline
Send a message via Yahoo to s/c sonoma
Question Re: S10 3800 Swap

im lookin for more info on this swap i want to put one in my 95 sonoma. i planned on using a 97 s/c riviera power plant but i am not sure of oil pan clearance issues
s/c sonoma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome