Rubber freeze plugs, good or not? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Rubber freeze plugs, good or not?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 60v6 Forum (2.8/3.4)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Awww..you ain't got shit!

User is: OffLine
Rubber freeze plugs, good or not?

Okay, I got a nice surprise from my 84 last night when I found one of the freeze plugs on the truck had bit the dust in the worst possible way. Tonight, I pulled the old rusty ones out, but I must say the one on the driver's side is really pissing me off getting it back in because the oil filter adapter is in the way (coming in from the wheel opening). I can't get the right angle because the motor is a vee, to get the plug started straight and now I am really frustrated. I got some of these rubber plugs. Anybody tried this? I don't want to get somewhere and that f**%ker blow out on me.

Either that or some advice on getting the steel ones back in. I got these from Advance. Are the dealer ones closer in size or any easier to get in? I already had one fail last year on the front of the motor, and it was pretty easy because it was a straight shot in. I used factory ones that time. Didn't seem this damn difficult. I'm not usually defeated by something as simple as this, so I'm more than a little ticked off. Thanks guys!!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
4x4 v6 blazer

Re: Rubber freeze plugs, good or not?

We ran one in a oldsmobile for about 5 years before the motor finally died and it lasted just fine.

As for replacing it with another one I'm sorry can't help ya. I've only done that with the engine on a stand.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #3

Just for sh$ts and giggles, I checked the outside diameter of the new plugs versus the old one. Granted, the old ones are distorted, but they measure about 33mm and the Dorman replacement ones are 34mm. According to the package 34.22mm. I think the factory plugs are actually somewhere around 33mm. Believe me, I think that 1mm makes a difference. I think it might be enough to be causing me all of this strife. What do you think? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and buy some of their overpriced plugs, and I guess we'll see.

-james
Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #4

Can't you take off the oil filter adapter? You'll need a new gasket for it, but it's only 1 bolt and then you get straight on to the freeze plug.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

i use the brass plugs, they "bite" into the block as they go in creating a good seal.

also get a big socket the will fit inside of the plug with minimal play inside of it and tap the socket in and this will "press" the plug in evenly........
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #6

Exclamation Re: Rubber freeze plugs, good or not?

Quote: Originally Posted by paxter
Can't you take off the oil filter adapter? You'll need a new gasket for it, but it's only 1 bolt and then you get straight on to the freeze plug.
I thought about that, but I'm not sure how much it will help. Besides, you have to jack the motor up and remove the engine mount bracket to remove the bolt in the center. Also, I have found that thing to be hard to seal, and I don't really want to fool with it.

I think those dillholes at Advance gave me the wrong plugs. Granted he gave me what the computer said, they still are about a mm too big.

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #7

Dont ever trust guys at Advance or Autozone....I wanted to get my VSS the other day and the guys insisted that it went into the bellhousing...I just walked out.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #8

I know better than that for sure, but for some reason, I didn't check them which was against my better judgment. I bought some today from the Pontiac dealer because the Chevy stealership didn't have any, and they are about a half mm smaller. Got one in on the driver's side in about 10 minutes with much less effort than the ones from advance. I have one of the rubber ones on the passenger side that I sure as hell don't trust, so I'm going to try to get the other one in there too. Thanks guys!!

-j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.