Oil Pressure Sending Unit - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 60v6 Forum (2.8/3.4)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Can anyone tell me what a 1986 S10 4x4 pickup with a 2.8l TBI engine has for an oil sending unit? My pressure is way over 80 when the truck is on, and goes all the way off when the truck is off. I am not sure if it has one, two or three connections on the sender. I have seen them all at the parts warehouses, and they range in price drastically depending on how many connections they have. And from what I have read, it seams to be a pain in the neck to remove and replace. How true is that?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Works too much!

User is: OffLine
Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit

It should be on the drivers side near the oil filter. It kinda aims towards the left corner of the truck. You should be able to see it from the top. It's not hard to replace. If you can get a pair of pliers around it, great. If not, you will need the sending unit socket to remove it.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

Thanks, but do you know what type of connections it needs without taking it off? One, two or three plugs on the connector?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Works too much!

No I don't. My truck has a 3 wire sensor but it is also a 93. If your truck has an oil light, it is a 1 or 2 wire. If it has the gauge, then it is a 3 wire.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Thanks. It has the gauge, thus a three wire. Figures it has to be the most expensive of them all.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

It is needless to say but this truck was not very well taken care of. Anyway, I actually looked at the sending unit, and it only has two plugs for it. I also did not notice a light on the dash when I started the truck, so I assume I only need another two wire one. However, the wiring on the unit is not there. I found a hanging arness with bare ends hanging near it with about 4 wires in it. (I told you this truck was not taken care of.) So my next question is can I run a wire from the dash to the unit then back to the dash for the unit to work? I know that the fuel pump works because the truck runs, so I was just going to try and complete some sort of loop. Also, does the pressure gauge read high with voltage on one side or with no voltage, hence the sender is not even hooked up? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #7

If it was me I would go to junk yard and cut the section I need from a donor truck and splice it on your harness. As far as the gauge goes I believe that it works off resistance in the circuit, no resistance (open circuit) it reads high.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by Datchevy2.8
If it was me I would go to junk yard and cut the section I need from a donor truck and splice it on your harness. As far as the gauge goes I believe that it works off resistance in the circuit, no resistance (open circuit) it reads high.
Good idea. Then I just have to find out where the wiring goes into the harness. I hope it is those wires that are just hanging loose.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Works too much!

Your best bet would be to get an aftermarket gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.