Computer friendly camshafts - S-10 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rotbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98

User is: Rotbox is offline
Computer friendly camshafts

Ok. I've had a slight change in plans for the overhaul of my 2.8. Desided to look for a cam that will keep the ecm happy, but not sure which is better for a work truck. The believe the a.r.i pro-builder phase 1 OR Crane CompuCam 2020 would be ideal because of the plow, but want opinions. Cant find any reviews of either cam. I guess I should note it has 3.73 gears and is automatic. Will probably add headers later on, but currently just want to get my truck back on the road.

Rotbox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Registered User
 
oldeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 683

User is: oldeerslayer is online now
Re: Computer friendly camshafts

This is probably a dumb question, but why would you go to the expense of an aftermarket cam for a 2.8 that you plow with? What is wrong with a quality stock replacement if you think the cam is in need of replacing? I also think headers is a BAD idea for a plow truck. You do not need an increase in engine compartment temps and the moisture will destroy them quickly.
oldeerslayer is online now  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rotbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98

User is: Rotbox is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but why would you go to the expense of an aftermarket cam for a 2.8 that you plow with? What is wrong with a quality stock replacement if you think the cam is in need of replacing? I also think headers is a BAD idea for a plow truck. You do not need an increase in engine compartment temps and the moisture will destroy them quickly.
The original cam is just starting to show signs of failure(one lifter is slightly dished). Also everyone says the stock cam as well as the exhaust manifold is worthless. Haven't seen anyone say anything good about the factory parts. All say there restrictive. If I stayed with a stock cam(and felt brave enough) I could reuse the cam out the blown original motor. It's the only part that wasn't damaged. The issue of moisture was one of the reasons I decided to hold off getting headers. I never plowed before, so I probably wouldn't use it much. Just a few times a year to clear my street.
Rotbox is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 AM
Registered User
 
oldeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 683

User is: oldeerslayer is online now
Re: Computer friendly camshafts

I'm not a big fan of re-using camshafts. They are pretty much matched for life to their lifters. It's the reason you do a break in sequence on a rebuilt or new engine. The newer engines with roller lifters don't require the extended break in procedure because the cam and lifters don't need to be worn in.
Regarding the restrictiveness of the cam and manifolds on a stock 2.8, I don't think you'll gain 10 hp. After all it is the smallest engine GM put in a 4x4. HP is a top end thing, torque is what gets a 4wd vehicle moving. Granted a towing type cam can ad a bit of torque, but cubic inches, especially stroke are where it truly comes from.
I've been plowing for 50 years and heat is a major problem because the truck never gets any air flow. Just working very hard at low speed. Plow trucks used regularly require a lot of maintenance.
JMHO
oldeerslayer is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rotbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98

User is: Rotbox is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
I'm not a big fan of re-using camshafts. They are pretty much matched for life to their lifters. It's the reason you do a break in sequence on a rebuilt or new engine. The newer engines with roller lifters don't require the extended break in procedure because the cam and lifters don't need to be worn in.
Regarding the restrictiveness of the cam and manifolds on a stock 2.8, I don't think you'll gain 10 hp. After all it is the smallest engine GM put in a 4x4. HP is a top end thing, torque is what gets a 4wd vehicle moving. Granted a towing type cam can ad a bit of torque, but cubic inches, especially stroke are where it truly comes from.
I've been plowing for 50 years and heat is a major problem because the truck never gets any air flow. Just working very hard at low speed. Plow trucks used regularly require a lot of maintenance.
JMHO
I agree. I figured mileage may improve slightly as I see a lot of people saying the 2.8 gets horrible mileage. I dont think heat will be a big issue. This truck is equipt with a 3 core radiator, which is apparently a rare option. Should be enough to keep things cool. Once running/driving and trans proves to be working properly, I plan to add a auxiliary trans cooler. Plow will rarely be used. Heck i think the last time I even saw it mounted was 3-4 years ago.
Rotbox is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bowling Green KY
Age: 29
Posts: 144

User is: Xnke is offline
Re: Computer friendly camshafts

It's funny, I always got 26-28MPG out of my 2.8L S10's...I don't consider that "horrible" mileage at all...

The stock computer will handle the stock cam. It will not be happy with bigger cams...it may run, but then again it may not. The Compucam solution is pretty much just to satiate the people who just gotta cam that engine...they do not make any appreciable horsepower over the stocker-because doing so would require moving more air, which would require a fueling adjustment that the stock computer does not handle well.

Headers-same kinda thing. Until you're turning 3000-4000RPM, stock manifolds are going to keep up with headers within 5-8HP.

If you need more power in a plow truck (who plows in an S10? Just not enough weight there???) you need more cubic inches.
Xnke is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rotbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98

User is: Rotbox is offline
Re: Computer friendly camshafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
It's funny, I always got 26-28MPG out of my 2.8L S10's...I don't consider that "horrible" mileage at all...

The stock computer will handle the stock cam. It will not be happy with bigger cams...it may run, but then again it may not. The Compucam solution is pretty much just to satiate the people who just gotta cam that engine...they do not make any appreciable horsepower over the stocker-because doing so would require moving more air, which would require a fueling adjustment that the stock computer does not handle well.

Headers-same kinda thing. Until you're turning 3000-4000RPM, stock manifolds are going to keep up with headers within 5-8HP.

If you need more power in a plow truck (who plows in an S10? Just not enough weight there???) you need more cubic inches.
Yeah, ive read they are capable of high 20s, but also seen a number of people saying there getting 10-12 mpg highway which is kinda sad. I think the phase 1 cam is mild enough that the computer wont notice the difference, but might cave and get a stock replacement. Yep, not many s10 plows. Good enough for fresh powder, but probably worthless in the heavy stuff.

1988 GMC S15 Gypsy 4wd longbed (rotted parts truck)
1987 Chevrolet S10 4wd longbed (work in progress)
Rotbox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome