blazer just died while driving home - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

blazer just died while driving home

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 60v6 Forum (2.8/3.4)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

blazer just died while driving home

I have an 84 blazer with the 3.4l swap. Blazer just dies while I was driving it and it won't startup again. It turns over great and has good electrical power. I suspect the fuel pump. I hear the pump ticking loudly when I turn the key on, but its ticking much louder than ever before and shaking the fuel lines a lot. Its an inline pump under the driver side door on the frame. Is this the stock pump or is it an intank stock pump? Any idea what the new pump part number is? Or do you think its something else?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

Re: blazer just died while driving home

Can anybody help?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #3

Freaking weird, so I add a gallon a gas and it starts right up. But I just filled it up a week ago and have less than 200 miles on my 20 gallon tank. I have my reciept and I track mileage on my phone to verify.

So either the gas got syphon'd (highly unlikely, I have a keylock gas cap and work on an AFB all day), I'm somehow getting 10mpg (don't know how that would happen; I always get 17-18mpg), or it was a one time fluke. Any ideas people? Is it possible to get that bad of mileage instantly down from 18mpg?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Awww..you ain't got shit!

User is: OffLine

Well that truck wouldn't have had an electric pump from the factory to start with, so whatever it is, it isn't stock on the 84. My truck ran smack the hell out of gas recently...with TWO marks still on the gas gauge. Was like, WTF??? Turns out, the cluster I swapped in a while back (when I broke half the dry rotted pointers off of the old one), isn't accurate. Hell of a way to find out. My truck only gets about 15 btw....
Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

Yeah, it's an electric pump mounted on the drivers side frame; cause when the owner swapped in the 3.4l he couldn't use the mechanical pump (no room).

Well, it started up this morning and I went and filled the tank up...it was normal. I still had half a tank left. So I started to drive to work and got about 10 miles in when it started to stutter like it was fuel starved and was going to die. I hurried and turned around and made it back home without problems.

What would cause this stuttering? I'll pull a fuel line and turn the key on to check and make sure the pump is getting good flow (what type of flow rate should I get? Like 1 quart/min or so?). What else can I check? My guess is something carb related...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Check the filter first. Always check it first. I have two on mine. One at the pump on the frame rail, and one at the motor. If that's not it, you may have a pump dying on you.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Are there any tests to check the pump, besides seeing if it pushes fuel out with a hose disconnected? Like how much psi should it be holding? How many quarts/min should it put out, etc?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #8

I'd go buy a cheapie gauge and put in inline and see what it says. No more that 5psi is supposed to be for the Holley. Not sure on the Rochester, but I imagine it would be similar.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #9

Just a cheap inline pressure gauge? Hook it up to the fuel line by the carbuerator to check it out?

If I get good pressure, what would the next check/possible problem be?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

Did you change the filter first? That's should be your very first thing. Yeah, just hook the gauge up inline. Leave it there permanently. If your truck is stock, you'll have to cut the metal line in two to get it in there. I'd put two clamps on either side to be safe. This is actually a benefit if you've ever tried to start the threads back on of these old Rochesters. It can be a real pain. After you cut it, the rubber hose will give it some flex.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

BTW, it sounds like a delivery issue. Not a carb issue. I'm pretty sure it's either the pump or the filter.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #12

So I replaced both filters (1 inline filter between the tank and pump, and 1 little filter in the carb housing). Both looked fine, but replaced them anyways. Then unhooked the fuel line at the carb and put it in a gas tank and turned the key on. It pumped 1 pint in 30 seconds, or 1 quart/minute. I thought that was plenty of fuel, pretty good pressure. Then I hook everything back up and go to start it, and it won't fire. And the pump is really loud when compared to normal. So I suspect a fuel pump (even though it's pumping good flow rate out the hose)...kind of confusing.

My pump was an "Automotive Electric Fuel Pump, 2.5-4psi". Has several numbers on it, 6F96, AU2635, and E8016S. Does any of this sound correct? Can I just get any 2.5-4psi pump for a replacement then? My Haynes manual says the 2.8l should be fuel pressure of 7psi. Do you get lower psi for the 3.4l engine swap then?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

Is the new pump supposed to 2-4psi then, or should it be 6-7psi like the Haynes manual says? I know the Haynes manual is referring to the 2.8l so I'm wondering if the 3.4l camaro engine takes lower fuel pressure?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #14

I'm guessing that there's no difference in pressure requirements. My Holley will run on 1 freaking pound on the 3.4. Can't see why there would be little or any difference.

Sounds like the pump is shot if it's noisy. May not be developing any pressure when it has resistance (when it's connected to the carb).

Edit....just ran the part number. Airtex pump...Junk. Known to be junk. Get this. http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/10002/-1

Works great on my truck.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #15

Wire it up properly with this. If it isn't already.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...10564/10002/-1

and this

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/7872/10002/-1

A lot of people skimp on this. Not using a relay can cause a fire due to the load. Not using a fuel pump cut off switch could lead to the pump continuing to run after an accident and pump fuel onto the ground. Not good if you are unconscious. Burning to death to save $40 isn't real smart. Hopefully yours is already done.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Thanks so much for the links, I'll check to see if it has a relay and oil pressure fuel shutoff installed or not. The swap was done by a mechanic, so hopefully he wasn't too shady (worried now that I see it's a crap pump). But the pump did last 8 years, so you can't complain about that!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #17

Hey, for an Airtex that is awesome!!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #18

So I replaced the pump tonight with a Napa 2-4psi unit (couldn't wait for shipping). Just curious, do you guys use teflon wrap or any type of thread locker/sealent when putting the fittings into fuel pump? Instructions didn't say and there's a very slight leak out of one fitting (couple drops in half hour drive). How can I fix this little leak?

Also, why does it say to mount the pump upright? Why can't you just do it horizontal like it was before inline?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

Anybody's guess on that. I'm sure it has to do with the design. Pipe compound would probably be best on that. Let it dry overnight. I'd be afraid of the teflon tape getting in the pump eventually. That's just me though.

I take it this fixed your truck?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #20

Yeah fixed the problem great. Runs like a champ now! I guess the old pump could flow fuel just fine, but couldn't hold pressure or was very intermittent. I like cheap fixes! Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #21

Absosmurfly. Anytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.