2.8 carb rebuild ?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2.8 carb rebuild ??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 60v6 Forum (2.8/3.4)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #1

2.8 carb rebuild ??

is it hard and is it worth it ? a buddy of mine said that it's not worth it because it will leak he also said i could get a new one for under $150 but AZ wants almost $500
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine
Re: 2.8 carb rebuild ??

an aftermaket carb&intake would probably be cheaper.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...oductId=745125
Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

if it is done right it should be okay...I mean a Holley 2bbl is gonna set you back $300 alone...maybe ask around to local shops and see what they would charge for the rebuild...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #4

I had one rebuilt at a local carb shop (with a good reputation) and it runs great - no leaks. Wasn't all that pricey either.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

I've rebuilt a couple of carbs i just want to make sure it's worth it. I was goinf to rebuild the carb on my samurai but those things are a POS and even if a 50year vet rebuilt it the truck still wouldent run the same
Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #6

"because it will leak" ??

It will leak if it's already leaking. You sure you've rebuilt a carb before?...if so why are you asking this?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Awww..you ain't got shit!

Quote: Originally Posted by stevew007
is it hard and is it worth it ? a buddy of mine said that it's not worth it because it will leak he also said i could get a new one for under $150 but AZ wants almost $500
. Yep, this is exactly the reason I swapped to the Holley. My original was toast and not worth rebuilding. A few will argue this with me, but I don't think they have experienced th Holley with the intake. My mileage actually improved if you keep your foot out of it (hard).

I think the truck is overall better. However, if you can build it cheap you might be better off. No doubt the Holley is the way to go vs buying a new or rebuilt one dollar for dollar imo.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #8

All stock carbs leak? Holley's don't leak?

Jimmy and I are on opposite sides of this fence...but it's ok, he's been wrong for a while now

But seriously, Jimmy how can you really suggest the Holley route? He's looking at spending way more than you're leading on.

1. carb kit could run you $20 or so.
If the carb is ok and you know what you're doing....then bam - done.

2. a remanufactired carb with a core return will run you $180 or so. www.guaranteedcarbs.com. Off with old carb, on with new.
Bam - done.

3. Holley is likely gonna run ya $300+, on top of the new intake you'll buy (more time/work there as well).
Then time to rig it up for usage.
Then, sorry but there's worse mpg with the Holley option compared to staying with stock.
Then...bam, done.

If time and $ are a factor....is it really a tough decision here?
Why not have the carb examined at least to see if a rebuild is better? (option 1)
If not, option 2 is a lot less $ and work.

With option 3, once it's complete...you then get to incessantly reply to others how they should do what you did and get a Holley.

*Jimmykick - I kid because I care.

Last edited by joed; 02-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #9

the truck was well taken care of and I am going to rebuild the carb this week. because cheaper is better at the moment (yes I know)but with plans for a v8 swap i dont want to spend a ton of money on it.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #10

don't foget to buy a new float they are known to get bad over the years
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
It's "Neanderthal"

X2 for a float. That $20 "carb kit" won't have one. It probably doesn't have the throttle shaft bushings and reamer you'll need to stop the vacuum leaks at the worn out shaft. So.....Bam - some things to think about.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by SH-60B
X2 for a float. That $20 "carb kit" won't have one. It probably doesn't have the throttle shaft bushings and reamer you'll need to stop the vacuum leaks at the worn out shaft. So.....Bam - some things to think about.
Yeah, the separate float game is kinda BS...but that's how they do.
That should be in a carb kit (really).

A quality kit should have the bushings, you can always ask.

Note: there is no info stating the carb IS leaking btw (just a rough guess from a buddy it sounds like). Heck, there's no info that it's in need of a rebuild for that matter either. Yer gonna have to check it.
What's the problem to make you ask about a carb rebuild btw?

Last edited by joed; 02-23-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #13

How's your mech fuel pump doin? Orig?
How's the fuel filter?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by joed
Yeah, the separate float game is kinda BS...but that's how they do.
That should be in a carb kit (really).

A quality kit should have the bushings, you can always ask.

Note: there is no info stating the carb IS leaking btw (just a rough guess from a buddy it sounds like). Heck, there's no info that it's in need of a rebuild for that matter either. Yer gonna have to check it.
What's the problem to make you ask about a carb rebuild btw?

this is what I have to do to start it after sitting over night.
stick the gas to the floor (the whole time while starting)
it turns and turns and turns almost a minute before it even start's to fire once it starts to fire a little i still need to keep the starter going because it's just not there yet.once it finally fires enough to let off the key I still have the gas to the floor while it chuggs its way to an idle and then to a rev and thats when i let off the gas and start to feather it to keep running until it will idle by its self. BUT once it warms up i can start it up without even touching the gas pedal. then if it sit's for say an hour or so in the 35* wheather i have to go through it all again. it also backfires when i rev it up

yes the bad carb did come from a buddy of mine that has a 2.8 that had a bad float. I'm going to dig in tomorrow first off i'm going to replace the fuel filter.then hit it with the timing light
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #15

How's your mech fuel pump doin? Orig?
How's the fuel filter?
not sure about either! I'm going to get a new filter in the morn. is there a way to test the pump?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #16

Hmmmm...carb from a friend, but did you replace the known bad parts (float)?

Still, ya know, I think I'd be changing that mech fuel pump, def fuel filter (cheap-cheap) AND may as well rebuild the carb. Your description is coming from what one would do to start if the carb was flooded i realize...but it's also a possible sign of a worn mech fuel pump too.
Is it orig ya think?

Before I got the reman carb I replaced the mech fuel pump after having like symptoms, and the starting issue was resolved. I knew mine was orig so i didn't test it. Now it's just pump the pedal a few times before turning the key, then start and let her idle till warm. Pretty standard.
They don't last forever (although longer than an in-tank) and they aren't all that much (don't have to be that is).

Not too diffcult to replace btw, just gotta get in there.

While we're at it, how's the choke operating? When it starts, is it going into high idle and then subsiding when warm?
Separate part once again, not too crazy to replace (drill out old rivets, replace part for proper operation, use screws instead of rivets (or re-rivet if you want).

Last edited by joed; 02-23-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #17

ya mine needs to be rebuilt badly too, but im just going to wait and drop in a 350 and buy a 4 barrel haha.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by heeter_33
ya mine needs to be rebuilt badly too, but im just going to wait and drop in a 350 and buy a 4 barrel haha.
There ya go, this reply should help ya. He's going to get a 4-barrel for stop and go traffic.

So your all set Steve!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #19

thanx joed I will post up tomorrow night and let you guys know what I come up with
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #20

Another cheap-cheap but def worth replacing - the vac lines. They ok?
In fact, I'd do each in order of least expensive on up.

Check out www.rockauto.com btw for parts (excell service imo).
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #21

Doh, sorry - don't mean to add to your cost and work, but don't forget the vacuum pulloffs (yep, they go bad as well).

So carbwise, if it comes down to this as a culprit...maybe weigh in on the cost of a reman ($180-190 at the link I sent, good company btw) vs. rebuilding and more parts (pulloffs, choke, float, etc) yourself?
Might be cheaper, less time consuming to get the reman.

Replace the mech fuel pump for piece of mind yourself, espec if I suspected it was orig. ACdelco or even a Carter... to a cheap airtex to get ya by (since you might be upgrading it all anyways).
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #22

There ya go, this reply should help ya. He's going to get a 4-barrel for stop and go traffic.

So your all set Steve!

lol we dont really have stop and go traffic here, so it shouldnt be too bad
Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #23

well i replaced the fuel filter and it fired right up.

but she still needs work
I started ripping everything off the extirior badge ,wing,mouldings stuff like that.

but here is what it looked like when i bought it.I did run into a huge problem found out that the front of the roof had been caved in at the windsheild and the roof has a ass ton of bondo in it. I might have to cut it off and get a donor
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
It's "Neanderthal"

That was easy.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #25

how hard was it changing that filter?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote: Originally Posted by heeter_33
how hard was it changing that filter?

not to bad could of been easier if the line nut was not stripped to hell.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #27

Bamm - $2.00 part!

Cool. I'd replace it once a year min maybe.

* if it were me I'd still consider a carb clean or at least run some seafoam or Lucas fuel sys cleaner, replace the bad float you mentioned, and I'd check or flat out replace the mech fuel pump for piece of mind.

I hear ya on the inlet/line nuts. I pipe cut my fuel hardline end, got a different fuel inlet with a tapered end (screws into carb, holds spring and paper fuel filter), and routed fuel line around and back into the carb (even added a 2nd larger fuel filter inline). Less fighting for clearance in getting that inlet out to change fuel filter).

Last edited by joed; 02-24-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #28

Bamm - $2.00 part!

* if it were me I'd still consider a carb clean or at least run some seafoam or Lucas fuel sys cleaner, replace the bad float you mentioned, and I'd check or flat out replace the mech fuel pump for piece of mind.

I hear ya on the inlet/line nuts. I pipe cut my fuel hardline end, got a different fuel inlet with a tapered end (screws into carb, holds spring and paper fuel filter), and routed fuel line around and back into the carb (even added a 2nd larger fuel filter inline). Less fighting for clearance in getting that inlet out to change fuel filter).
well im not sure the float is bad.my buddy just mentioned it might be bad.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #29

Bamm - $2.00 part!

Yeah, that stock carb inlet is a real f*cker. I remember having that issue with mine and cutting it like Joe did. I think I might hae actually had a pinhole in it....That's been so long ago I can't remember.

Joe....I love you man! We gotta get together one day, have a beer or two and argue about our carburetors. Then I'll let you drive my truck. . Nah, you are probably right on. He probably is better off rebuilding it anyway...You are right, it is a lot cheaper. I wasn't "advocating" that really. It's just an option. I probably wouldn't do it either if I was on a budget, or wasn't really looking for an upgrade in performance. I'll admit it was more expensive, but I have no regrets because I wanted better performance and the mileage didn't suffer. I knew I'd be putting 3.4 and spending some $ on this truck, so I didn't mind. Check out this video before I pulled the 2.8 with the leaky freeze plugs. This is pretty much a cold start with the Holley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-draPb2oiiI

For the record, it wasn't really that hard putting it on. There wasn't really any "rigging". The biggest problem I ran into was the sh*tty instructions that came with it. I had to cut a little groove into the throttle bracket to make it work and find a throttle cable that was a shorter working length. It would have been nice if they had included that info. Otherwise it wasn't really hard at all. It came with all the necessary goodies and even told you the right kickdown cable you would need.

I would still like to see how the stock carburetor does on that Edelbrock intake. As I go along, I might even do away with the carburetor all together and go EFI and slap a throttle body on top of that intake...That might be really cool!!

Joe, we gotta do that beer sometime....seriously!

Last edited by jimmykicker; 02-25-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #30

Yo JimmyKick...I do know one thing - I ain't gonna try and race ya with my stocker. You got me there!

I do like beer ...maybe we can one day
Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #31

Quote: Originally Posted by stevew007
well im not sure the float is bad.my buddy just mentioned it might be bad.
Well, I'd at least look at it, they get old and crusty/fall apart bit by bit (don't want bits in bowl).
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #32

Yo JimmyKick...I do know one thing - I ain't gonna try and race ya with my stocker. You got me there!

I do like beer ...maybe we can one day
Yeah, maybe we'll do some homebrew I have. Don't worry, it's from a "kit", and it is actually pretty damn good.

As far as the truck is concerned, it's still no racecar, but it does get down the road real well. Even with the 3.4 that's not what I am after. I just want a neat/nice old truck that drives like a new one. One that has some mild mods and is streetable. Hence the reason I didn't put a V8 in it. Now that is some rigging I don't want any part of. I hope that the the performance is really good when the 3.4 project is complete. I'm really starting to get excited about it too. I'm almost done cleaning the frame, and next week will probably start wiring up my fuel pump if I am satisfied with how clean the body is under there. I really am planning on taking my time with it though. I've got way too much money and time in it now to slap it together.

Last edited by jimmykicker; 02-28-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.