1985 2.8L V6 4x4 PU carb & Q's - Need Help!!!
Thanks to any out there who can help.
- I am burning a lot of gas it seems. I know this model is a hog, but this is pretty abnormal.
- getting a little bogging upon acceleration\initial gas pedal
- high RPMs between shifting (45+ or so sometimes)*this may not be a big problem.
- I had a tranny tech take it for a test run, and he feels the tranny is ok, but he did mention it felt like it was "missing" (misfiring).
I'd like to understand what that means.
- hard starts when cold (takes initial pressing of gas pedal before, then cranking 2-3 times to get started. Starts fine if driven recently though).
- doesn't seem to have a lot of power, up a steep hill for example. I've heard they aren't the most powerful models, but this seems a bit abnormal.
- loud "whine" when in 4L (no noise when in 2w drv, slight whine that seems normal in 4H...but pretty loud in 4L). Chevy serv tech had a listen and said it was normal, but I thought I'd check.
I read many posts here saying the 2.8L v6 (carbureted) is a gas hog, but I want to check everything I can myself to try and get it running best "it" can.
Hope you can help.
The truck sat for 5-6 years, only making dump trips until I picked it up and started restoring it. It was running horribly back then, now it's cruising pretty well - except for some problem areas this post is about.
Things I've done so far:
- Changed oil
- Changed tranny fuild (also trying LubeGard in the tranny)
- new shocks (4)
- new spark plugs (although, I F'd up and forgot to gap them, having that checked now)
- new spark cables
- new air filter
- New PCV valve
- New Flowmaster Cat conv, muffler and pipe
- I have fixed the rough idle with replacing many deteriorated
vacumm lines (seems to idle fine now at 8k rpm or so in drive when warm. Before it was horrid and I had to turn the idle screw up to keep it running).
*** going to have the sparks gapped, radiator flushed, new thermometer put in.
I should say I'm a novice to any in-depth work on vital parts (I can fix up and restore 2 cycle scooters),so I'm very new to anything involved (eg - part names and their locations on the carb). Sorry, I'm learning slowly.
When you guys talk about "overhauling your carb" what exactly does this entail? Can any of you describe this in steps and in laymans terms?
Can you walk a newbie thru anything like this?
How much would you estimate for a tech to do a carb overhaul with what I have?
(Just want to know what $ I'll be looking at if I can't do these things myself).
I want to clean, replace gaskets, and adjust the carb for optimum efficiency but with power. Again, I've read here that this engine\carb really aren't the best but i'd like to get this one running best I can.
Is it really tough\involved to take the top half off the carb to get to the jets? I'd like to clean the jets and passages, so far all I've done is use carb cleaner on the carb top\choke plate\etc. when taking the air filter cover off.
I can adjust the idle, but can you describe where the mixture screws are and, in steps, how to adjust the air mixture for best performance?
Sorry for the MANY questions, if you can help it would be so appreciated.
1985 Black Chevy S-10 v6 2.8L 4x4
Rochester 2se carb