S-10 Forum banner

Yay! Another overcooling question

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  uhlenhopp09 
#1 ·
So I've searched this stuff before and that's how I've been going about replacing my parts. So! Let me start with what I've done.
Couple winters ago truck would randomly heat up to normal operating temp and other times it would just barely sit above the 100 mark and I would sometimes have heat and sometimes wouldn't when it sat that low. Thought it was the tstat so replaced it. Then was told try the clutch fan. Then today I replaced the sensor that sits just below the tstat tube. Still nothing. When I replaced the clutch fan I did a hilarious thing of cutting my radiator.
Could there still be air in the system? Wouldn't that make it over heat if air was in there? I've felt both heater hose lines and they both are hot to the point of making you curse. Could that be clogged? Truck doesn't even have 99k and its a 97..

#2 ·
If the coolant is hot and the gauge isn't showing it, that means that there is either

A) an electrical problem that is causing the sensor to not read or print out correctly

B) a mechanical problem stopping hot fluid from reaching the coolant temp sensor

Your stating that the truck would intermittently display the correct temperature leads me to believe there's an electrical problem such as a loose or corroded ground that causes the temp sensor or gauge cluster to sometimes display the correct temperature.

The heat working intermittently may be something else or it may be stemming from the same problem - could you explain further on this? Did you have any air blowing out at all? Was it cold? Or did you have no air coming out?

#3 ·
Well the temp gauge only changed when I turned the vehicle on and off. Which is why I thought the tstat was going out. But I have air always blowing. Heater last winter would either blow hot as hell or it would be cool. My air conditioning blows hot but I think that's only because of a leaky compressor and non working ac clutch but that's for another day.

#4 ·
Well I drove my truck the other day for roughly 10 miles on a 90 degree day and came home and got the laser heat gun out. Hit the hose coming out of the tstat and it read 155. Hit the inlet heater core hose and 145. Hit the outlet and 155. Hit the cylinder head cover and 150. The gauge still read its temp of just over 100 degrees. And it does blow damn good hot air.

#5 ·
So today I pulled the tstat out and put it in boiling water to see if it'd open and close properly and at the right temps. It does and threw it back in and drove it to work and the gauge seems to be working right now. Don't know what I did to get it to finally work but it works now! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.