What is normal operating temp on the coolant temp guage - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

What is normal operating temp on the coolant temp guage

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #1

What is normal operating temp on the coolant temp guage

Hey guys,

I am wondering what you all refer to as normal operating temperature as referenced on the coolant temperature guage for 2001 S-10s. Mine was running two tick marks to the left of 210, now runs 210 straight up almost all the time. I have had the coolant flushed and a new radiator installed (previous one leaked). I am also hearling a squealing from the front on the vehicle that stops with increased RPM. Nothing is coming out of the water pump weep hole, but I wonder if this aquealign is the water pump bearing going south.

Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #2

Re: What is normal operating temp on the coolant temp guage

If it doesn't go over half way, you should be fine, but it really shouldn't even be half way unless you are stuck in traffic on a really hot day, and it should drop down a bit when you start moving for more than a few moments.

Might wanna get a new thermostat and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Currently Spoolin

User is: OffLine

well it depends on the temperature outside and how you are driving it, i live in vegas and during a hot day ( i have a 180* thermostat ) it will run about about where you are saying yours used to run. depending on my driving it will go up to the 210 mark when it's 90 and above temp outside.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Better post-em.

User is: Online

well if its above or near 210 its bad for the s-10 engines i know...

mine floats maybe 190 ish.

yes that squeal could be your water pump or the serpentine belt could just be old...

what color is your coolant and is it full?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by 702s10
well it depends on the temperature outside and how you are driving it, i live in vegas and during a hot day ( i have a 180* thermostat ) it will run about about where you are saying yours used to run. depending on my driving it will go up to the 210 mark when it's 90 and above temp outside.
If it is at 210 when it is only 90 outside you also have a problem. I am in Phoenix and I don't get half way unless I am at a stop light and it is 110 outside.

Your thermostat should open at the rated temp and cycle new water though. In order for the temp to read 210 you either have nothing but 210 coolant in the whole system (which at 90 outside means your radiator is not working) or your thermostat is not opening up at the proper temp and then closes at the improper temp if it never gets back to the rated temperature.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Currently Spoolin

Quote: Originally Posted by Outlaws
If it is at 210 when it is only 90 outside you also have a problem. I am in Phoenix and I don't get half way unless I am at a stop light and it is 110 outside.

Your thermostat should open at the rated temp and cycle new water though. In order for the temp to read 210 you either have nothing but 210 coolant in the whole system (which at 90 outside means your radiator is not working) or your thermostat is not opening up at the proper temp and then closes at the improper temp if it never gets back to the rated temperature.
Okay I over exaggerated a bit on that one. The only time I saw it get to 210 was when hit hit triple digits here about a week and a half ago. today it was in the mid 70s and the farthest it got was the tick after the quarter bold line.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
Better post-em.

User is: Online

replace your thermostat, sounds like its bad. if it was working that needle would go over that 1/4 tick line then the T stat should open and you will see ti drop well below it and then even back out around the line below the 1/4 tick
Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
got me some 20s

yea mine ran at 210 for a year before i thought to myself it was kinda high...replaced the thermostat and it sits down where it should be now..which i guess is around 185 or so
Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
registered offender

mie always rides a couple of clicks above 1/4.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Currently Spoolin

Quote: Originally Posted by derricklane72
mie always rides a couple of clicks above 1/4.

same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.