Very Slow turning over? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Very Slow turning over?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Very Slow turning over?

I put a brand new starter in my 01 S10 and the battery is good. The only thing i haven't replaced yet are the battery cables. When i go to turn the truck on it turns over very slowly, Sometimes picks up speed and starts and sometime doesnt then starts clicking.

Could it be anything else other then battery cables? They are original and i got 99k on the truck now.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Re: Very Slow turning over?

Bump...Any help?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
It's a 4. something

My truck did that but I have no idea why. It was working fine, then started that crap. I jumped the truck off and it cranked fine and then I drove it and have been driving it daily and so far no more issues. Though I haven't let it sit for two days straight again.

If the battery is good and the starter is good then def check the cables and cable ends. Make sure it's getting a good connection.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Pussy Wrangler

First thought after reading is cable end corrosion, either at the battery or the starter.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

Cool i just wanted to make sure there wasnt some other component that was causing this.

I cleaned all the cable ends and there is also a box where the positive cable attaches underneath the battery box. I opened that up and there was alot of corrosion in there but after cleaning all that up now it starts like normal

Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #6

Ok well i thought i fixed the problem but its still doing this. It still seems to struggle when starting up.

The starter is brand new from autozone.

We put my battery in my dads silverado and his truck started up fine w/out any problems so i dont think its the battery (even though its 3yrs old)

I cleaned the connections also.

When the motor gets hot after i have been driving for awhile (especially w/ the hot weather lately) it will turn over really slow or turns over one revolution and then the starter will click.

When this happens ive hooked up the jumper cables and got it to start.

Any one have or had this problem?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

Battery. If you can jump it and it starts fine your battery is toast.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #8

My truck was doing this until I realized that when I put my engine back in I forgot to replace the heat shield that was on the starter. Make sure yours is in tact.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
NOT AN S10

if it's easy enough...i'd say have the starter checked. I know most of the starters i've had to change were cranking really slow and eventually didn't crank at all. that's really odd though since it's brand new, but maybe you got one in a million bad starters
Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
is a fungineer

When you say the starter is "brand new from Autozone", do you mean it's brand new, or new to the truck/you? If it's a remanufactured starter, have it checked out.

Last edited by ka_jd7and1; 07-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #11

no i just bought the starter about a week ago and it was the brand new one not the re-manufactured one. The heat shield is in tact. Im thinking there must be more corrosion inside the battery cables so i think im going to try replacing the whole positive cable.

Possibly that i did get a bad starter from autozone even though it was brand new. Just not sure what else it could be besides the positive battery cable including cable that goes to the starter. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

Last edited by Dropped'01; 07-07-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
4 wheels aren't as fun

it's hard to really say since you have a autozone starter...yikes. so yes, it's more than likely it's just a pos starter. but getting another one from them isn't going to solve anything. buying a name brand starter might. I never buy autozone stuff.
at least get your battery load tested.

Last edited by serpentracer; 07-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #13

Already load tested my battery and it passed fine. I buy stuff all the time from autozone without any problems
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
4 wheels aren't as fun

I've never had anything from them that actually worked like the stock part did.
the alt never ever last more than a few years for me.
starters about the same. the one starter I put on my Z-28 wouldn't turn the motor over when the engine was hot.
bought a powermaster starter from advance autoparts and never had a problem since.
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/starters.html

when you buy a china part, expect china reliability
Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #15

Fixed it.

The positive cable including the cable that goes to the starter had corrosion in it. So i went to a napa and had them cut me some different length of battery cable, bought some ends, and made my own positive cable. I just copied the stock one because an AC delco replacement positive cable is around $85. I made mine for $30.

Also where the negative cable connects to the block had a lot of grease and oil all over the ends so i cleaned them up really well.

Now it starts like normal.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by Dropped'01
Fixed it.

The positive cable including the cable that goes to the starter had corrosion in it. So i went to a napa and had them cut me some different length of battery cable, bought some ends, and made my own positive cable. I just copied the stock one because an AC delco replacement positive cable is around $85. I made mine for $30.

Also where the negative cable connects to the block had a lot of grease and oil all over the ends so i cleaned them up really well.

Now it starts like normal.
Do you happen to have the GM part number for that cable? Thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #17

This is it on ebay and its a little bit cheaper but its pretty easy if you want to make your own

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-CHEVROLET-S10-PICKUP-Battery-Cable-ACDELCO-2FS722F1S-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c558dd420QQitemZ19041 3919264QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

You can also find it here
http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php

Last edited by Dropped'01; 07-21-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #18

thanks for that info, and with it I found it even cheaper..

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-2FS72-.../dp/B000C9KKTA
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #19

I have done the big 3 on most of my vehicles with audio power and ground cables...used 0 gauge and made sure the ends were nice and wrapped, works perfect for me. Getting ready to do this on the sonoma though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.