Tried cavalier pcm - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Tried cavalier pcm

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
-------------------------

User is: OffLine
Tried cavalier pcm

It did'nt work! I pluged it up, started the engine and it cut off right after it turned over. So i am thinking there is some different fuel delivery problem or spark problem. Or maybe the pcm is bad. It did look like it was sitting on a shelf for a while. If you guys have any ideas how to bypass these problems or a place where i can test the computer. let me know.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
8.81@156

what do you have??? i have an extra ECM
Old 01-17-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
Registered Stepsider!!!!!

I tried one out of a mid-90's Beretta, and the truck run a little rich(fuel pouring out tailpipe/smoke) I also tried one out of a 98 2.2 Auto, and it worked fine in my 5 speed.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:01 PM   #4

aintskr8pin what year is your truck, and what year was the PCM out of? The 94-95 engines are different in the fact that they are not SFI (sequential fuel injection) this is probably why Minilowz was running rich. and the 98 is different from the 99+ in the fact that in 99 the EGR valve was removed. It might also mean that the PCM could have been damaged. On car-part.com they show the PCM for 96+ working on all the current 2.2L Could the PCM have been out of a 2.4L cavalier and not the 2.2L?

Minilowz after you installed the 98 PCM were you able to get over the 94-95 MPH mark?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
Registered Stepsider!!!!!

nope still cut off at 93mph just like the original, I bought it to send to ASE to get it reburned, But I'm debating on a new truck right now. So I have a few spare ECM's laying around.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #6

aintskr8pin, that sounds like what would happen if you took the cluster out of the cavalier. It's the anti-theft device that is programed into them. Try waiting with the key on engine off for 10 to 15 minutes after you installed the PCM, that may get around the securety feature.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #7

Re: Tried cavalier pcm

My truck is a 97 5-speed and the cavi pcm is from a 97. Hopefully it is not damaged, but I will try to leave the key in run for a few minutes to see if i can disable the security feature.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #8

alright, so heres the deal. I tried what you said bigrey, no luck. Is'nt the security feature programed into the bcm? I tried to find the feature on a pcm pinout map of a cavi that has been posted here before, but no luck. It will turnover, but imediatly turn off. And every time after that it just rotates and won't turn over. Unless you turn the key off and wait a few secs, then the process just starts all over as if it is reseting itself. I opened the computer and all the circuits and solders look fine, so i don't think the computer is faulty. Any suggestions would help to get this thing rollin. I
Old 01-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #9

Possible bcm nocomm? That turning on and shuting off emediatly sounds like a fuel cut. What I can remember when working at my local chevy is when you removed the intsrument cluster from a cavy, they do exacly what you say it's doing. So maybe you'r going to have to get a bcm, or wire your truck like a cavy, or something to do with the ignition key? Just ideas.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
former title junky mod

Not to sound like an idiot, but what does putting a cavi PCM in our trucks do?

Last edited by Futuresweets10; 01-19-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:39 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by BigRey
Possible bcm nocomm? That turning on and shuting off emediatly sounds like a fuel cut. What I can remember when working at my local chevy is when you removed the intsrument cluster from a cavy, they do exacly what you say it's doing. So maybe you'r going to have to get a bcm, or wire your truck like a cavy, or something to do with the ignition key? Just ideas.
If i have to rewire my truck like a cavi, forget it. I'm not willing to spend anymore money if this is not going to work with little mods. I will prolly take it back to the junkyard and exchange it for an e-fan. Besides, i am working on getting a programer so i can reflash my computer.

Quote: Originally Posted by futuresweets10
Not to sound like an idiot, but what does putting a cavi PCM in our trucks do?
108 speed limiter instead of 96. It only cost 65 bucks rather than 300 with ase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.