transmission overdrive or sensor problem? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

transmission overdrive or sensor problem?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #1

transmission overdrive or sensor problem?

I have a 2000 s10 with 2.2 auto and i just had the valve body repaired and now it works great except on the highway, after its warmed up, at highway speeds it will be running around 2200 rpms then go up to around 3200 rpms for around 10 seconds more or less then it seems to bog (or shift i'm not sure) back down to 2200 rpms, if i hit the throttle when the rpms rise it will shift and be fine and go back to 2200 rpms, I was told it could be a sensor such as the speed sensor or tps or even my fluid needs flushed, any ideas would be greatly appreciated it seems to do this more with cruise control on because its at a constant speed and it never seems to do it going up hills, but it seems to me it keeps shifting out of overdrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
joining 2.2l boosted club

Re: transmission overdrive or sensor problem?

i have the same problem, its not as bad anymore i had a tps sensor issue, u can test it if u have access to a voltage meter, and check the connecter voltage, if it read 5 volts that part is fine, then backprobe the blue wire and ground the black to check the tps signal slowly open the tb as ur watching the meter and if the voltage drops or a drop and doesnt go up smooth the tps is bad! they tend to go bad sometimes, if thats all fine then yea could be something in your tranny lines clogged or somthing small, u could try a flush and a new filter but sometimes that can make it worse in some cases depending on what ur fluid looks like! i dont think it would be a speed sensor but possibly!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #3

thanks i'll check that out
Old 02-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #4

have you had any luck with this. I ask because today all the sudden my 1999 2.2 auto started doing the same thing. And very bad with cruise on. Then when stopped and taking off it slips for a second then goes. Only after warming up it does this. It was bad for 15 or 20 miles then came out of it. I found a tsb for this on a website but I couldn't find details. It was bad enough I was with in an exit of pulling off interstate to have my wife bring a trailer but then it stopped.

It was doing the downshifting thing also, seemed hard to get it back into od sometimes. But all the sudden normal, including the slipping on a takeoff.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

I've noticed something similar for the past several months and only when I drive on the Indiana Toll Road. There is an elevated part of the road where my truck bounces alot (a front to rear bounce). Normally by the end of the section, the truck will shift out of overdrive. A few miles later, overdrive normally engages again. I'm going anywhere from 50-70 MPH in the area. Truck runs great otherwise
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #6

I replaced the tps and that did nothing for the problem, I'm goin to have the transmission flushed next week and see if that helps it any i've driven it about 500 miles with it doing this and the problem doesnt seem to change or get worse it seems like it does it when im on a flat section of highway ar going down hill never up hill
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
NOT AN S10

User is: OffLine

if you had 4wd...i'd say you have the same problem as me. what happens is there is an internal leak from the tranny to the transfer case. the pressure pushes the fluid out into the transfer case, draining the tranny pretty much, so it doesn't have enough fluid and it locks/unlocks through gears on the highway, usually in and out of overdrive up a slight hill. check your fluid level is all i can say
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #8

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #9

I realized this week that I probably have symptom #20 on the common issues with the 4l60e transmission.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/htpc/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l...utions-297698/

Basically, there is a clunk/shutter when downshifting into first and going in reverse. My truck continues to downshift out of overdrive on very bumpy roads, so maybe these 2 issues are related. I'll post if I find out more info...
Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #10

my truck 2.2 has a check engine light, I had autozone run it and it says something about transmission slip.
with 3 causes
can happen when towing, i don't tow with it
can happen due to improper fluid level, level is fine
can happen due to internal trans issue.
wow this is about to become a v8 700r4 truck
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #11

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am having the same problem.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #12

I had that problem. It was the vehicle speed sensor. But I also replaced my TPS sensor and my two front wheel speed sensors. It was not until I replaced the speed sensor on the transmission that it was fixed.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #13

where is there a speed sensor on the Tranny? Just asking, chasing the same problem. Replaced both wheel sensor's and rotor's, next replacing the TPS this week.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #14

Found it, replaced it. Fixed the problem!! Next is to replace the Servo upgrade, ordered and be here Feb 14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.