timing chain. what are signs of it going bad? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

timing chain. what are signs of it going bad?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
timing chain. what are signs of it going bad?

what are the signs of the timing chain going bad??? i have a weird knock commin from the bottom pulley and my truck is

misfiring a few second after its started up on cylinder 3.
seems like i lost alot of power.

ive replaced coils, plugs, wires, fpr, fuel filer, injectors.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #2

Re: timing chain. what are signs of it going bad?

the only way i know how to check is to take the front of the motor apart and take the cover off exposing the timing chain, thats what i did anyway.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Sometimes it will start to rattle when its getting bad, not much else way to tell besides pulling the cover and measuring its play. It would not cause a misfire on a single cylinder though. Have you did a compression test?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #4

yes i have checked the compression. i was getting between 133-150psi on all
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #5

someone else had this same problem and the fix was #3 injector plug has bad connection and it seemed that atleast three others had this also good luck
Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
joining 2.2l boosted club

yea i just asked a similar question a few days ago, im getting a small engine tick only when im at idle and after about 1 min after warming up...had it looked at and the shop told me mine was nothing to worry about as its not that loud if it gets louder then ill have a problem! guess its kinda common but always safe to get it checked out rather then be sorry later on!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
It's "Neanderthal"

Or just remove the rocker cover. Put a wrench on the crank and roll the motor a little each way while watching the rockers. It would give you and idea of how much slack is in it.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Broke down

Quote: Originally Posted by A CLEANMACHINE
someone else had this same problem and the fix was #3 injector plug has bad connection and it seemed that at least three others had this also good luck
Yep, I chased a cyl3 miss fire for a couple of years. Finally took it to a dealership where I had a connection and it turned out to be a compromised wire on the pigtail for cylinder number 3. If you can, check all of the wires for the injector plugs.

Is this a constant miss fire? Is it a dead miss? Have you looked at the spark plug? Try and give us some more details, does it come and go?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by black2002ls
Yep, I chased a cyl3 miss fire for a couple of years. Finally took it to a dealership where I had a connection and it turned out to be a compromised wire on the pigtail for cylinder number 3. If you can, check all of the wires for the injector plugs.

Is this a constant miss fire? Is it a dead miss? Have you looked at the spark plug? Try and give us some more details, does it come and go?
its not a dead. it is not throwing a code but i can take the wire off the plug and watch it miss every few seconds. it will randomly miss on the same plug but every other plug has a strong constent spark. Idk if its a faulty wire. even tho there new, or if its the ignition control module. the coils are also new.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Broke down

odd that its not throwing a code. It shouldn't be the ICM that was one of my last options when I was having my issue. If it were the ICM it shouldn't be an isolated cylinder missfire, you should get a random cylinder missfire, I would think, and that was the consensus of all of my tech friends. When you say its not a dead miss, have you pulled the plug wire with the truck running? If so, do you notice any difference?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

when the plug comes off while its running it just makes it ru a little worse. if i pull each one off they have a strong spark and a constent spark. the one has a weeker spark and you can see the missfire when ground the end of the spark plug against the AC comp. it will spark ok then start missing a few times then spark good for about 10 seconds than miss again for about 5 seconds. the ignition module is my last bet ive replaced everything else unless the coils i just put on are faulty.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #12

did you check the injection harness at #3 see if there's a bad connection.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
Broke down

Quote: Originally Posted by A CLEANMACHINE
did you check the injection harness at #3 see if there's a bad connection.
Here is the thing with that. If he has proven that it is on the electrical side of things, there should be no need to check the wiring harness. If he has compared the spark to the spark of the other cylinders and there is a noticeable difference, there is no need to mess with the fuel side.

I seriously doubt it is the ICM but I have been known to be wrong. I've got a brand new fuel injector sitting here that I don't. My .02 is to go to a GM dealer and have them do some diagnostics. I know they are going to charge close to $100 but only authorize them for an hour. Say here, give me an hour of diagnostics, no more. Tell them what the truck is doing and what you have done so far. At this point, with all of the parts you have replaced, you could have paid for the diagnostic and be in a better position
Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
2Low2Tow

Usually if your timing chain goes your truck will definitely not start, and the engine will jump. Ive seen my friends s10s do the same thing which are to major symptoms of a timing chain gone bad. Ive replaced a dozen on older and newer 2.2L & 4.3L (1994-2004). Depending on the years, at least for the old ones mid '90s you can just take off the timing chain cover and radiator shroud and fan etc. with out taken out the engine!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
Dr. Mike

swap the coils and see if the misfire changes to a diff cyl... I've seen NEW faulty coils.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #16

ICM's can't drop one cyl. Because of the wasted spark. The pack either works or doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.