THE ECOTEC SWAP HOW TO "56k warning" - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

THE ECOTEC SWAP HOW TO "56k warning"

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
eco-ten

User is: OffLine
THE ECOTEC SWAP HOW TO "56k warning"

well I'm doing this for two reasons, first because people have requested it and I'm kinda tired of explaining the same things to different people, and second because I'm hoping to see someone with a much higher budget build the truck i want but cant afford. also i would like to say I'm no expert and every ones project is different so everything in here is what I have learned and I'm sure there will be things someone can correct me on and i welcome that.

Engine Selection
Well there are a few varieties of ecotec out there ill just break down the basics for those who may not know. There are 3 displacements 2.2 2.0 and 2.4.The 2.2 is the basic ecotec and is found in almost all the GM small car platform starting with Saturn in 02 and spreading.The 2.2 has very good aftermarket support and is easily modified with rods, pistons, cranks, cams,turbos and much more all available. HP rating for the 2.2 is 150. The 2.4 is found as the base engine in the solstice and sky and is found as the lower SS option in the small car platform. The 2.4 is also VVT witch makes it harder to modify and the parts for it are more costly. The 2.4 intake manifold is a comin upgrade for the 2.2 The 2.4 from 06 and 07 have forged bottom ends, and when topped with the 2.2 head make for one bad ass eco.The 2.4 has a HP rating of 178. Last but not least in any way is the 2.0. The 2.0 is the top shelf SS option in the small car platform and sky/solstice in ether a supercharged version making 205hp or a bad ass turbo version making 260hp, there is lots of aftermarket support for it and the stock valve train is an upgrade for the 2.2 and 2.4. As far as picking one for your s10 scratch off any kind of supercharger with out some serious modification because the throttle body will face the firewall.

Trans Options
Well iv found that there are only two "bolt on" options. The sky/solstice trans is the best option. This gear box is also found under the Colorado and H3 but are worthless with out the Sky bell housing. The other option is the t5 with the adapter bell housing from quad4rods. I made my bell housing with the bell housing for the s10 2.5 With the gearbox tilted over a few degrees 2 of the bell housing holes line up then you have to fab from there. As far as making it all work together you will use the ec< span="">otec f<>lywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc, then the pilot bearing from a 2.5 ford ranger and the throwout bearing from the s10 2.5. I think this combo will also work with the quad4 adapter. I'm sure with some fab work any trans can be fitted behind an ecotec but these are the only options i have any experience with.

Exhaust
Well what i used to make my header is a 4-2-1 header for a jbody off ebay, I used the upper half as is then cut up the lower half to build the rest. I think you could use a header for a sky/solstice but there costly and more likely then not it will still have to be modified to fit. The other option is to buy the ecotec exhaust flange and a header tube kit and build one from scratch. If you were building a turbo set up you would probable use a cast manifold witch can be found real cheap on ebay or be building a one off set up anyways.

Computer And Wiring
Well this section is not my best so ill just kinda lay out what i did and a few options i know of but I'm sure there's so much more to this that i don't know. Ok so what i did was use the GM comp with the harness i stripped from the car. This was realy strait forward, i just stripped all the loom and tape and laid it out in my driveway along with the s10 wiring harness for the colum. I then cut out all the components I wasent gonna need . The key part was a lil tricky at first, the gm comp is equipped with passlock so you cant simply cut the ignition off and wire yours in, it wont start. so what i did was run down to my local stereo shop and pick up a passlock modual then wired it in and went threw the programing. then i was able to wire in my key and use it. but just in case i left the jbody key sencer plug were i could axes it so if i ever have to reprogram it i can simple plug the jbody key in.
This is an ok option but down the road limits what you can do with the tuning. The other way to do it would be to go stand alone, there are a few different brands and ill leave it at that because i honestly don't know much about it.

Fitting it in there
well first off the ecotec is very tall. Im running a bodydrop and a stock hood so i did a lot of cutting ill just lay out what i did and you can take it as one mans experience . The oil pan was channeld back first then i added a kickout to the back of the pan to gain back the oil capacity lost from the channel. then i channeld the crossmember out , know im not running ac and if you were gonna more channeling of the drivers frame rail would be required. For the fire wall first thing i had to do was remove the powersteering pump "cam driven" then i had to remove the wiper motor off the firewall and channel the cowl back to get the motor to fit far enuf back in the engine bay. to solve the wiper motor i relocated it to the passenger side firewall and build new linkage. to solve the power steering lose you have three options, first the oem route, some of the sky/solstice came with a different crank pully and power steering pump mounted off the passenger side of the engine. this is a nice option but from my experience the parts are hard to come by. second is a bracket on ebay that locates a latemodel power steering pump were the ac pump use to be. And third i built a bracket simaler to the one being sold know before it was being sold, same placement and everything. as for motor mounts MOST ecotec's have bosses on both sides of the block that are threaded. mine had them so it was real strait farword to build some motor mounts. changing the oil once its in there is a bitch, the filter is cast in the block and in an s10 is hidden between the the intake and firewall behind the brake booster. right know when i change it im unbolting the booster off the firewall to gain access, im planning to run the geo booster for wheel clearence soon and think that will help but if not i plan to buy the oil cooler adaptor and using a remote oil filter.

well i think this answers alot of the questions people have if not and you have other questions ask them here and ill do my best to help out or on the stuff im not to sharp on fell free to correct or add on to this. maybe this will end up a sticky well see

how here are some random pics of the engine swap build up, im not real good at getting pics of every lil thing but hopefully if you have questions the pics can help

Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
eco-ten

Re: THE ECOTEC SWAP HOW TO "56k warning"

Cooling
another thing i would like to bring up is cooling, the ecotec has both cooling hoses coming off what is the front of the engine in a car but the drivers side in the truck, obviously this wont, the thermostat housing on the ecotec is on the passenger side and has a hard tube that routs over to the drivers side, i just removed this tube and built a new one. if you look in the pics its the silver tube that runs behind the header.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
eco-ten

one correction the pilot bearing being used with the t5 is from a ford ranger 2.3 not 2.5
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #4

Great info, I was wanting to do the same thing since I have an ecotech core engine in my engine collection. Dude, those are some awesome fabrication skills. Great work. Now that I know what you went through, I think I'll just put a turbo on the stock 2.2. It wont be as powerfull as a turbo ecotech, but I think it will be cost effective and less of a headache.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
eco-ten

Quote: Originally Posted by phastford56
Great work. Now that I know what you went through, I think I'll just put a turbo on the stock 2.2.
lol ya i had a 2.8 so this was a major upgrade
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #6

Thanks Will, this is a great start and a bunch of great info!!!

I couldn't find any major differences in any of the oil pans i found online, the suction tube is very close to the the front and the windage slosh tray and suction tube are both bolted to the bottom. I'm interested to see what you did to the inside of yours.

I did find that RRE revolution racing engines has all kinds of parts for these engines, including an low oil pan, 3 inches tall, remote mount oil filter adapter, but they suggest to run an accumulator to account for slosh and oil volume, and there is not a good way to measure the oil level as the dipstick goes in the stock pan. All in all it was going to cost $800 to do this.

DDM makes supercharger kits, fuel rails, headers, all kinds of parts for solstice's and sky's up to 270 Hp for the 2.4 VVT. Also have a bunch of parts for the 2.0.

Hahn makes turbo kits for the solstice 2.4 VVT up to 374 Hp , but the bull run solstice has got about 450 Hp, look for it on solstice forums. they also make all kinds of parts for cobalts, sunfires, hhr, and solstice 2.0.

On solstice's
There is a significant difference in the 06 ecm's as they went from a three plug to a two plug. But I believe all ecotec's take the same ECM related to years, and just different flashes depending on turbo, non, and VVT.

There is also a large difference in 2.4 rods as the 06-07 are forged and 08-09 are not. All turbo/supercharged 2.0/2.2 engines have forged rods. I am not sure about other NA engines. I will link to the solstice forum thread that discusses this.

The solstice engine is installed at a 0 to 1* deg power angle front to back. And a 10* degree to the passenger side.

The ground

Engine

Left to right

The ground was about 1* deg adding to this.

With the engine setting above the cross member things should work pretty good, but I think you will need to run a cowl hood. I didn't spend alot of time on this sorry. I've channeled into the cradle and slid the motor back far enough to keep the stock pan. This puts the stock exhaust manifold right on the rear pivot of the passenger upper control arm. I'm not sure what I'm doing on this yet. With the amount of bd I'm going for as well I too removed the wiper motor, but also had to remove the passenger wiper, I will see if I can save it.

I have concerns of tilting the engine upright any more than 2-4 degrees i think it would affect transmission oiling.

The shifter of the solstice manual transmission is mounted farther back with shaft linkages, this puts it alot farther back than the stock shifter. I'm not sure what I'm going to do on this I've taken it apart and I am going to research anything aftermarket. If it were where the linkage goes to the gearbox it would be perfect!

Well that's it for now.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
eco-ten

i realy dont think the angle a few degrees this way or that way would make a huge difference but hell at least this way you will have no doubt , as for the pan i should have taken pics of it off but just never did, o and if i can get my hands on a 2.4 short block 06 to 07 its goin under my head " stroker" well kinda
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
I Prefer Payne

in the persuit of "eco" power. you can get some good numbers with swaping out parts from different ecotec engines. i take it youve been over to j-body and saw a few of their eco builds. did you already put in a the 2.4 intake mani or are you waiting till you need to retune the ECU? and did you ever feel the difference in the standard exhaust mani and the header in turms of power? they didnt have the cheaper ebay one when i had my cavi.
now i have a 2000 saab 9-3 2.0 turbo to play with.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Electrical Mod

Added to the sticky. If you need any corrections or anything edited, PM me.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
eco-ten

ya i havent put on a 2.4 mani yet, im waiting to just get a 2.4 donor motor to use the bottom end. as for the header i had a cavi when i built the truck and the power curve is way different with it, at lower rpm it dosent pull real hard but at about 4000 the power comes on hard and fast.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
Getting back to Boosting

Quote: Originally Posted by BDT00Buckshot
I've channeled into the cradle and slid the motor back far enough to keep the stock pan. This puts the stock exhaust manifold right on the rear pivot of the passenger upper control arm. I'm not sure what I'm doing on this yet.
I have concerns of tilting the engine upright any more than 2-4 degrees i think it would affect transmission oiling.
\

After looking into this swap a little I can see the same problems you've guys have had/tackled. It's good to see this swap already done. Kudos. Using bagged83dime pictures, I would build the exhaust manifold facing forward then down with one pipe, that way if you decide to slap a turbo on it things would be easy to change over. Kinda like building a turbo manifold without the turbo. Then when ready put the turbo on then run the downpipe. It's very hard to type what mean so please don't bash me just yet, hope it makes sense. Did the wiper motor pose a problem because of the BD, also do you think it would be easier to change the oil filter if the truck didn't have the BD. If I do the swap I wouldn't be doing the BD.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #12

Thanks phoenix!!!

I get what your saying, build a log exhaust manifold then it will be easier to swap to a turbo manifold and should be close to lining up.

Without the bd you can keep all of the wipers, it's tight with the rear inlet fuel rail, ddm makes a center inlet. I think I said this before, without channeling into the cross member that far you should be able to use the stock sol exh manifold. But I think you will be needing a cowl.

Which isn't a big deal for some, I just hate bolt on's. We call them JC Whitney customs.

It's a give and take balance. If you were to use the RRE pan and adapter, with a remote mount filter and an accumulator you should be set pretty awesome. I just couldn't spend that money and not spend it on something else, when I have the time and skills to cut and weld around it.
This would let you move the engine up quite a bit, if you frenched the radiator into the core support then you should about have the shifter in the right spot and an oil change would be a breeze. might not even need the remote filter. But would definitely need the accumulator, as that pan is very shallow and has 0 windage control.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
eco-ten

ya the bd lead to all kinds of problems including the wiper motor but i relocated it, with out the bd i think it wouldent be to bad
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Getting back to Boosting

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I don't care to much for cowl hoods, but in this case it would be acceptable for me. lol. DDM makes cool stuff. I sold my 06 solstice a few years ago and always looked at their products. One thing, could you explain the accumulator and RRE pan in a little more detail for me?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by badaSS98
One thing, could you explain the accumulator and RRE pan in a little more detail for me?

Thanks
No problem. The RRE pan is flat across and made for circle track cars, so the pickup is in the right rear. So there are no baffles to keep the oil from sloshing away from the pickup. The accumulator goes in line after the oil filter, when pressure drops because the oil sloshes away from the pickup the accumulator helps to provide oil to the engine for those few seconds until the oil returns and the pump can catch up.

Underside

Borrowed from the RRE site for reference.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
eco-ten

i think if i was to put the money in a pan i would just go dry sump. also some said something about changing the oil being a pain with the body drop and my plan to help this problem is to get a mini booster, that will free up enuf room to get the filter in and out.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
eco-ten

hey buckshoot why not post some of the pics of your build so far from fb, it may help people with reference to the solstice trans and fitment
Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
eco-ten

dry sump pan

oil filter relocator

heres a link to quad4rods ecotec products http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=...&Itemid=100041
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Pony's got a nice rear

Nice stuff guys.................................
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by bagged83dime
hey buckshoot why not post some of the pics of your build so far from fb, it may help people with reference to the solstice trans and fitment
I lol' at buckshoot, normally I get buckshit. My build thread is about as up to date as FB, but have a decent amount of progress from Friday, took a me day from work. So I'll have a nice huge update for ya tmrw.

also some said something about changing the oil being a pain with the body drop
More on this tmrw too, I think I will be draining the oil from under the contol arm, and filling/filter through the wiper cowl. Standby.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #21

I see what your talking about. Sorry didn't realize I didn't talk much about the trans in my build. I will go into more detail tmrw.

The shifter is even with the output yoke. This puts it quite a bit farther back then the stock one. I'm looking into what else they use these in and what I can do. I also have some torn down pics as the solstice shifter cannot be easily modded.

Here's the pic you were talking about from FB.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #22
Getting back to Boosting

The shifter is even with the output yoke. This puts it quite a bit farther back then the stock one. I'm looking into what else they use these in and what I can do. I also have some torn down pics as the solstice shifter cannot be easily modded.

Good deal thanks for the info guys.

AR5 — 5-speed longitudinal (GM RPO AM5) Toyota Hilux, Toyota Land Cruiser/Prado, Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn, Suzuki Grand Vitara/Escudo, BMC Levend, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky

According to wikipedia you may have a solution through these vehicles..
Old 05-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by badaSS98

According to wikipedia you may have a solution through these vehicles..
Well looks like the canyon and Colorado have a different rear housing. Any one know the difference between the 2.8 and ecotec? Think that trans would bolt up?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #24

Solstice shifter linkage:

Shifter removed.

Shifter support removed.

linkage removed.

Underside of linkage.

I took it apart farther but didn't get photos. The shaft rides on two needle bearings, one in the front and one rear, It is drilled for the locating bolt for the cup. You could possibly get a half inch out of it, but I don't think the machine work would be worth it.

Not sure why originally it felt farther back, maybe I had the seat farther forward. The balancer is in line with the front skid, and the oil pan is even with the front of the crossmember. Just enough so when the steering swings it has clearance.

Here's how my fat azz looked in it I had the seat just barely resting on the back wall. I think it will be just right!!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
eco-ten

well hell it just makes good sence that if you already have the floor cut out that your gonna bodydrop it right? i mean it would lower your center of gravity to help that lil eco carve the corners
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
eco-ten

shit just looked back over your pics, i must have mist the fact you were bd'ing it to
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
Pony's got a nice rear

OK, now I get it.

That is some nice work........"Hell Yea".
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #28
Pony's got a nice rear

FYI, I think chevy has turbo/super chager kits for this motor.....don't quote me, though.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #29

Bucks oil change:

With the bd and moving the engine back the oil fill is right under the passenger side wiper, who needs that right? I will make a panel that screws over it and keeps the rain out. I will box what is left of the drivers side and move the wiper motor, more to come on that I haven't looked at it yet.

Filter, dipstick and valve cover fill.

With the VVT I cannot swap to a 2.0 or 2.2 valve cover.

The drain plug, once I plate the cross member back up I will put a small piece of tube where the drain plug is so I can pull it out or I might put a quick connect on it and use a quick connect with a hose.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #30

well hell it just makes good sence that if you already have the floor cut out that your gonna bodydrop it right? i mean it would lower your center of gravity to help that lil eco carve the corners
Great minds think similar?

I cut the floor out in sections, I cut the doghouse and firewall when I tried to fit the diesel. So that was the first pic up a few posts. I then bd'd it to the rockers, and cut the foot area out, but my rockers are shit. So I decided to try and take it to the doors. That's when the seat area came out. So now it's all mocked up. 3/16 above true doored all squared and the motor is set at a lesser angle to try to use the stock manifold. I realized I measured on the crown of the curve of the cover so if I rock the degree wheel to the left it says 10* and to the right it says 5* I believe I originally had it rocked to the left. So I will need to find another sol to measure but I think I can make the stock exhaust manifold work. and I'm pretty sure I am still safe within the designed installation tolerances.

Hydro booster (avalanche) will fit nice, and I can use the stock master, with s10rod, now I just need to find it lol.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #31

Solstice power steering:

So I fought and fought with the scrap yard to get the few parts I was missing after I picked up "everything I needed to swap this into my truck"

well the power steering pump would have had a good chance if the engine were moved up farther than in my install. You would have to notch the frame similarly to the ac notch for an LS swap.

Front pulley, ac and alt off rear, power steering off closest three rib.

Pump, mount, and tensioner. There are three bolts that attach it to the block on the right.

And for reference.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #32
Getting back to Boosting

Your making tons of progress. Being 5'5" and needing to sit further forward, I would have to reach back to make the shift. Or I could extend the pedals Lol. The auto that came in these cars are also used in the bmw's but the first couple years were plagued with problems. A stick is more fun anyway. One of the things I hated about my solstice was the way the syncro's were. If I tried to downshift from 5th to 3rd it would grind. So passing people on a downshift had to be done by going 5th to 4th then 3rd. GM and many other owners confirmed that to be "normal".. Who knows. This is an awesome swap combo, with potential for big power and big fun. Plus the components can take it.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
eco-ten

just a word of advice, the breather on the valve cover is going to suck, you will have to clean up oil all the time, the eco's are none for passing alot of oil here, every intake iv ever pulled on a eco has had oil sitting in the bottom from the vent, other then that lookin good
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #34
I Prefer Payne

lots of jbody guys put on an oil catch can to keep the oil out of the intake. run a hose from where you have a breather down to a "can" of some sort, than a second hose off that back to your intake, and your done. no more oil in your intake. and you wont get any valve cover gaskit leaks or oil all over the side of your engine from the breather filter. just clean out the can every oil change too, not that its gonna be full or anything but there will be some in it.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #35

Is that on boosted or NA engines? Blowby on a boosted engine is alot higher. If I have issues I'll make my own. For now I just popped that on to keep the dust out.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #36
eco-ten

both do it, i thought about making a evac set up with the exhaust like they do with the v8's

quick ecotec fact, a fully dressed 2.2 weights in at right around 300 pounds witch is half the weight of a 350
Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #37
eco-ten

GM Family II engine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Family II is a straight-4 piston engine that was originally developed by Opel in the early 1970s. It was used in the Opel Ascona and Opel Kadett and their corresponding sister models the Vauxhall Cavalier and Vauxhall Astra. In the US the SOHC engine was available from 1982 to 1990 including a turbocharged version known as LT3.
Over time, the engine evolved to include many modern features such as DOHC and Gasoline direct injection. Family II has also expanded to include a range of Opel-derived 6-cylinder engines. Many General Motors subsidiaries, including Holden, GM do Brasil and recently GM Powertrain have adopted this design. It is also starting to be used in hot rods as an engine swap.
Contents

20NE, 20SE, 20SEH, C20NE, C20GET

These engines formed the basis of the modern Family II lineup. Configuration was limited to a single over head cam, and 2 Valves per cylinder (8 valves total). The 20NE served as the base, where later Family II engines evolved.
Common features include:
  • Cast-iron block
  • 6-bolt flywheel
  • Aluminum head
  • 1998 cc, 86 mm x 86 mm bore/stroke
Individual differences:
Engine Power Torque Ratio Engine Management (Other) 20NE 116 hp (87 kW) @ 5200 rpm 175 N·m (129 lb·ft) @ 2600 rpm 9.2:1 Motronic ML 4.1
20SE 122 hp (91 kW) @ 5400 rpm 175 N·m (129 lb·ft) @ 2600 rpm 10.0:1 Motronic ML 4.1 High compression pistons 20SEH 130 hp (97 kW) @ 5600 rpm 180 N·m (130 lb·ft) @ 4600 rpm 10.0:1 Motronic ML 4.1 High compression pistons; More aggressive camshaft than 20SE C20NE 115 hp (86 kW) @ 5200 rpm 170 N·m (130 lb·ft) @ 2600 rpm 9.2:1 Motronic 1.5/Motronic 1.5.2 Catalytic converter; Lambda sensor. C20GET 165 hp (123 kW) @ 5600 rpm 175 N·m (129 lb·ft) @ 4000 rpm 8.0:1 Most likely Motronic 1.5 Turbocharged A South African derivative of the 20SEH engine was used until 1999 in the Astra/Kadett models featuring 10:1 compression ratio and a Bosch Motronic 1.5.4 engine management system. Quoted power was 95 kW (129 PS; 127 hp) and 180 N·m (130 lb·ft) of torque.
The 2-liter 8v OHC engines is used in the base versions of:
20XE, 20XEJ, C20XE, C20LET

The naturally aspirated 16-valve version of the 2.0 L— 1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)—cast-iron-block engine is the successor to the OHC-engines and a predecessor to the 16-valve Ecotec-line of engines.
This lineup features the same block as the OHC based engines with an 86 mm (3.4 in) bore & stroke and a Coscast-developed DOHC cylinder head (Coscast Project KB). The cylinder heads were manufactured by either Coscast or, at a later date, Kolbenschmidt. In general, the heads from this lineup are supposed to flow appreciablу better than their Ecotec successors. Power output is rated at 110 kW (150 hp) at 6000 rpm and 196 N·m at 4600 rpm (C20XE) or 156 hp (20XE).
Common features:
-1,998 cc (121.9 cu in); 86 × 86 mm (3.4 × 3.4 in) bore x stroke
-Cast-iron block
-Aluminium head
-Aluminium oil pan with cooling fins
-Air mass flow meter
-Knock sensors
-Twin Camshafts
-8 bolt flywheel
20XE
- 157 hp (117 kW)
- 198 N·m (146 lb·ft)
-Compression ratio: 10.8-1
-Engine Management: Bosh Motronic 2.5
C20XE
- 150 bhp (112 kW; 152 PS) @ 6000 rpm
- 196 N·m (145 lb·ft) @ 4600 rpm
-Compression ratio: 10.8-1
-Catalytic converter
-Lambda sensor
-Engine Management: Bosh Motronic 2.8
C20LET
- 204 hp (152 kW) @ 5600 rpm
- 280 N·m (210 lb·ft) @ 2400 rpm
- 102 bhp/litre
-Compression ratio: 9.0-1
-Catalytic converter
-Lambda sensor
-Different camshafts
-Turbo pressure: 0.6 bars (8.7 psi) continuous with a 0.8 bars (12 psi) overboost
-Engine Management: Bosch Motronic M2.7
-The map sensor is built into the ECU.
-Turbo used in the C20LET: KKK16, integral water cooling and oil lubrication.
These engines were used in:
The turbocharged version of the C20XE, branded C20LET was also offered in the Opel/Vauxhall Calibra and Vectra Turbo. The C20LET is essentially the same as the C20XE, bar the lower compression, forged Mahle pistons turbocharger, Bosh Motronic M2.7 with a MAP sensor. There are also slight revisions to the block which provide an oil inlet/outlet for the turbocharger.
C25XE

Opel later developed a 2.5-liter V6 engine based on the C20XE's design. The GM 54-Degree V6 engine featured four camshafts and 4 valves per cylinder. The C25XE found use in the V6 Calibra/Vectra A/A2.

- 2,498 cc (152.4 cu in)
- 170 hp (127 kW) @ 6000 rpm
- 226 N·m (167 lb·ft) @ 4200 rpm Engine Management Bosch Motronic 2.8
X20XEV

The first engine Opel branded as Ecotec, a mass-market successor to the C20XE with a Lotus-developed cylinder head. The new cylinder head had a smaller valve angle compared to the older C20XE, which was supposed to give more torque in the lower revs. It is a 1,998 cc (121.9 cu in) naturally aspirated engine with 16 valves and belt driven double overhead camshafts (DOHC). 86 mm (3.4 in) bore and stroke in cast-iron OHC-derived cylinder block and aluminium cylinder head. X20XEV was equipped with exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) to reduce nitrogen dioxide emissions and air injection reactor (AIR) to speed up the warming up of the catalytic converter and to reduce unburnt hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Power 100 kW / 136 hp.
This engine was used in:
X25XE, X30XE

A GM 54-Degree V6 engine - essentially an Ecotec version of the C25XE. It has similar design features to the X20XEV - particularly the cylinder heads and emission reduction hardware. This engine was used in the Opel Omega B and for the first few years in the C
The X25XE was also used in Later Models of Vectra B from 2000 until 2002. It was to prove popular in Police Vehicles in the UK.
Ecotec

The Ecotec name was adopted in 2000 for the new generation of Family II engines. The name was already used for the Opel GM Family II engine, Family 1 and Family 0 ranges. GM intends this new Ecotec to become its global 4-cylinder, and it has already fully replaced their OHV I4 line.
The Ecotec Family II is a DOHC 4-valve design with an aluminum block and head (L850 for 86 mm bore applications, and L880 for 88 mm bore), designed for displacements from 1.8 to 2.4 L. It was developed by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Trollhättan, Sweden. Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom. The engine uses aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinder liners. Vibration is reduced with twin balance shafts.
The current Ecotec line is manufactured in Tonawanda, New York and Kaiserslautern, Germany. Until the discontinuation of Saturn, it was also produced at a plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee. After Saturn it is still produced at Spring Hill. Over 30,000 were assembled in January, 2012.

Z20LET

Opel/Vauxhall offers a turbocharged version of the 2.0 L—1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)—Ecotec (the Z20LET) in a cast-iron block; it features a square 86 millimetres (3.4 in) bore and stroke, 8.5:1 compression, 147 kW (200 PS; 197 hp) and 195 lb·ft (264 N·m) of torque.
This engine is used in:
From 2005, the Z20LET engine was revised for the Astra H and Zafira B, to three different model designations, Z20LEL, Z20LER and Z20LEH. The differing designations denote the engine power output, 170 hp, 200 hp (149 kW) and 240 hp (179 kW). Further revisions to the original design include the deletion of the contrarotating balancer shafts in the 240 hp (179 kW) Z20LEH engine, to reduce mechanical losses.
LK9

Saab B207 engine in a 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T

This engine is also known as B207 when used by Saab and Z20NET in other countries such as The United Kingdom and Australia.
LK9 is a turbocharged 2.0 L— 1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)—version of the L850 (86 mm bore) series ECOTEC utilizing a reinforced sand cast aluminum cylinder head and reinforced internal components. It features an 86 millimetres (3.4 in) bore and stroke and a 9.5:1 compression ratio. Power is 210 horsepower (160 kW) at 5300 rpm and 221 lb·ft (300 N·m) of torque at 2500 rpm. Maximum boost is 12.3 psi (0.85 bar).
Saab 9-3, and Cadillac BLS Variations:
Model Years Power Torque Turbocharger 1.8t 2002–present 110 kW (150 PS; 148 hp) @ 5500 rpm 240 N·m (180 lb·ft) @ 2000–3500 rpm Low-pressure 2.0t 2002–2005 129 kW (175 PS; 173 hp) @ 5500 rpm 265 N·m (195 lb·ft) @ 2500–4000 rpm Mid-pressure (B207L) 2.0T 2002–present 154 kW (209 PS; 207 hp) @ 5300 rpm 300 N·m (220 lb·ft) @ 2500–4000 rpm High-pressure(B207R) LSJ

Ecotec LSJ engine in a 2006 Saturn Ion Red Line

The LSJ is a supercharged version of the LK9 Ecotec 2.0 L— 1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)— with an Eaton M62 Roots-type supercharger and air-to-liquid intercooler. It is rated at 205 hp (153 kW) at 5600 rpm and 200 lb·ft (271 N·m) at 4400 rpm with a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and a 6500 rpm redline. With the end of the Chevy Cobalt S/C SS and Saturn Ion Red Line, the LSJ was discontinued after 2007.
The LSJ was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2006.
This engine is used in:
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2004–2007 Saturn Ion Red Line 205 hp (153 kW) @ 5600 rpm 200 lb·ft (271 N·m) @ 4400 rpm 2005–2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe 205 hp (153 kW) @ 5600 rpm 200 lb·ft (271 N·m) @ 4400 rpm 2.2

L61

Ecotec L61 engine in a Chevrolet Classic (Malibu)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire Ecotec engine

Ecotec L61 installed in a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

This engine is also known as a Z22SE in other countries such as The United Kingdom and Australia.
The basic Family II architecture was substantially reengineered in 2000, becoming the Ecotec 2.2, model L61 (or L42 for the CNG version). First appearing in the 2000 Saturn LS1, the L61 spread throughout North American GM products, displacing the Quad 4 and its descendants. It was shorter, narrower, and lighter than the Quad 4.
Unlike its notably harsh predecessor, the L61 was designed for smoothness. Dual in-block balance shafts were integral to the design, the power-steering pump was mounted directly to the cylinder head and driven by the intake camshaft, the water-pump housing was cast into the block, and the A/C compressor and alternator were mounted directly on the block without brackets. The oil filter housing was cast into the block with a removable cover and replaceable paper element. It did not use an EGR valve. Critic said the engine produced good low-end torque but the power fell off soon after 6,000 rpm.[1]
Displacement for the 2.2 L engine is 2,198 cc (134.1 cu in) with an 86 millimetres (3.4 in) bore and 94.6 millimetres (3.72 in) stroke. Initially, compression ratio was 9.5:1, delivering 135 hp (101 kW) of power and 137 lb·ft (186 N·m) of torque. The Ecotec line is manufactured in Tonawanda, New York and Kaiserslautern, Germany, and was also manufactured for Saturn in Spring Hill, Tennessee until Saturn's discontinuation. The L61-powered Saturn Ion replaced the Saturn-powered Saturn S-Series. This engine (called the Z22) also powered the Japanese-market Subaru Traviq, a badge-engineered Opel Zafira A.[2]
There are a few variations to the standard L61. The 2003 Saturn L-Series has a high output version with higher (10:1) compression and more aggressive camshaft. The 2004-8 Chevrolet Malibu uses a version with electronic throttle control and a special unitized exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. The Malibu and Saturn versions also use return-less fuel injection. The 2002 Saturn VUE was the first North American variant of the L61 to be equipped with electronic throttle control, whereas other applications did not arise until 2005 in the Saturn ION and Chevrolet Cobalt. The supercharger and inlet manifold from the 2.0 Ecotec engine can be purchased as an official kit from GM and along with modified software in the ECM, can create a 2.2 supercharged version of this engine.
On engines produced before 2007, spark was produced via 2 coils in a cassette that bolted to the top of the valve cover which contained the boots for each spark plug on the bottom of it, eliminating the need for wires.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #38
eco-ten

The 2.2 L Ecotec is used in the following cars:
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2002–2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 140 hp (100 kW) @ 5600 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2004–2008 Chevrolet Classic (Malibu) 144 hp (107 kW) @ 5600 rpm 155 lb·ft (210 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2005–2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 145 hp (108 kW) @ 5600 rpm 155 lb·ft (210 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2007–2008 148 hp (110 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 lb·ft (206 N·m) @ 4200 rpm 2006 Chevrolet HHR 143 hp (107 kW) @ 5600 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2007–2008 Chevrolet HHR 149 hp (111 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 lb·ft (206 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2002–2004 Oldsmobile Alero 140 hp (100 kW) @ 5600 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2002–2005 Pontiac Grand Am 140 hp (100 kW) @ 5600 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2002–2005 Pontiac Sunfire 140 hp (100 kW) @ 5600 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2005–2008 Pontiac G5/Pursuit 145 hp (108 kW) @ 5600 rpm 155 lb·ft (210 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2000-2005 Saturn L-Series[3] 137 hp (102 kW) @ 5800 rpm 135 lb·ft (183 N·m) @ 4400 rpm 2003–2005 Saturn L-Series (high output) 140 hp (100 kW) @ 5600 rpm 145 lb·ft (197 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2003–2007 Saturn Ion 140 hp (100 kW) @ 5600 rpm 145 lb·ft (197 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2002–2007 Saturn VUE 143 hp (107 kW) @ 5600 rpm 155 lb·ft (210 N·m) @ 4000 rpm 2001–2005 Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster 147 hp (110 kW) @ 5800 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4000 rpm Following the GM-Fiat agreement, the 2.2 L engine is also used in
Z22YH

A high-end direct injection version of the 2.2 L (2198 cc) Ecotec features 114 kW (153 hp) of power @5600 rpm and 270 N·m (200 ft·lbf) of torque @ 3800 rpm with a compression ratio of 12.0:1 have been available in:
L42

The Ecotec 2.2, model L42 is the CNG version of the Ecotec 2.2. It delivers 129 hp (96 kW) and 129 lb·ft (175 N·m).
Ecotec Gen II

LNF

Ecotec LNF in a Pontiac Solstice

A turbocharged direct injected (redubbed Spark Ignition Direct Injection) Ecotec was introduced in the 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line. In these applications, the engine is mounted longitudinally. Displacement is 2.0 L—1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)—with a square 86 millimetres (3.4 in) bore and stroke. Compression is 9.2:1 and maximum boost is 1.4 bar (20.0 psi), delivering 260 hp (190 kW) at 5300 rpm and 260 lb·ft (350 N·m) of torque from 2500 to 5250 rpm. Engine redline is at 6300 rpm and premium fuel is recommended. The sodium filled exhaust valves were based on technology developed for the Corvette V8 powertrains. The sodium fuses and becomes a liquid at idle, which improves conductivity and draws heat away from the valve face and valve guide towards the stem to be cooled by the engine oil circulating in this area. The camshaft-driven direct injection systems pressurizes the fuel to 31 bar (450 psi) at idle, and up to 155 bar (2,250 psi) at wide-open throttle. The "Gen II" block is similar to the 2.4 L and also features VVT technology. The Gen II block was developed using data from racing programs and computer simulations. The bore walls and bulkheads were strengthened with a weight increase of 1 kg (2.5 pounds). The coolant jackets were expanded to improve heat rejection, resulting in a coolant capacity increase of 0.5 liters.
In December 2008, GM released a Turbo Upgrade Kit for the LNF engine which increases horsepower to 290 hp and torque to up to 340 lb.-ft, depending on the model. The kit retails for $650 and includes remapped engine calibration and upgraded MAP sensors. The kit is covered by the cars' existing GM warranties.[4]
Unique LNF features[5] include:
This engine is used in:
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2007–2009 Opel GT 260 hp (190 kW) @ 5300 rpm 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2007–2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 260 hp (190 kW) @ 5300 rpm 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2007–2009 Saturn Sky Red Line 260 hp (190 kW) @ 5300 rpm 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2008–2010 Chevrolet HHR SS 260 hp (190 kW) @ 5300 rpm 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2008–2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 260 hp (190 kW) @ 5300 rpm 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2009 Elfin T5

2012 Fisker Karma

LDK

A high-performance version of the LNF with 9.3:1 compression. This engine is also known as A20NFT and A20NHT when produced by GM Powertrain Europe.
This engine is used in:
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2009 Opel Insignia 162 kW (220 PS; 217 hp) @ 5300 rpm 350 N·m (258 lb·ft) @ 2500 rpm 2010–present Saab 9-5 162 kW (220 PS; 217 hp) @ 5300 rpm 350 N·m (258 lb·ft) @ 2500 rpm 2011 Opel Insignia 4x4 184 kW (250 PS; 247 hp) @5300 rpm 400 N·m (300 lb·ft) @2400-3600 rpm 2012 Opel Astra J OPC 206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp) @5500 rpm 400 N·m (300 lb·ft) @2500-4500 rpm LHU

LHU adds E85 flex-fuel capability to the LDK.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2011–present Buick Regal CXL Turbo 220 hp (160 kW) @ 5300 rpm 258 lb·ft (350 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2011–present Saab 9-5 Turbo4 220 hp (160 kW) @ 5300 rpm 258 lb·ft (350 N·m) @ 2000 rpm 2012 Buick Regal GS 270 hp (200 kW)[6] 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) @ 2400 rpm 2.2

LAP

The LAP is a 2.2 L—2,189 cc (133.6 cu in)—version of the Ecotec, based on the Gen II block with cylinder head improvements, new camshaft design, E37 engine control module, 58X crankshaft reluctor ring, digital crank and cam sensors, individual coil-on-plug ignition, vented starter solenoid, new MAP sensor, new intake manifold seals, new oil filter element, a 32-bit computer, and improved emissions performance.
Bore and stroke are 86 mm (3.4 in) and 94.6 mm (3.72 in), the same as the 2.2 L L61. Compression ratio is 10.0:1. Major features that set it apart from the 2.2 L L61 are variable-valve-timing and other cylinder head improvements from the 2.4 L LE5.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2009–2010 Chevrolet Cobalt 155 hp (116 kW) @ 6100 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2009 Pontiac G5 155 hp (116 kW) @ 6100 rpm 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4900 rpm LE8

The LE8 is an E85 compatible 2.2 L—2,189 cc (133.6 cu in)—version of the LAP Ecotec. Bore and stroke remain the same 86 mm (3.4 in) and 94.6 mm (3.72 in). Compression ratio is 10.0:1 and the engine can run on both regular unleaded gasoline or E85.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2009–2011 Chevrolet HHR 155 hp (116 kW) @ 6100 rpm (gasoline) 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) @ 4800 rpm (gasoline) 160 hp (120 kW) @ 6000 rpm (E85) 158 lb·ft (214 N·m) @ 4600 rpm (E85) 2.4

LE5

Ecotec LE5 engine in a 2006 Pontiac Solstice

The LE5 is a larger 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in)—version of the Ecotec. Both the 88 mm (3.5 in) bore and 98 mm (3.9 in) stroke are larger, and Variable Valve Timing on the intake and exhaust improve low-end torque. Compression is 10.4:1. Power is 164-177 hp (123-132 kW) and torque is 159-170 lb·ft (215-230 N·m). The engine uses a reinforced "Gen II" block.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2006–2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 173 hp (129 kW) @ 6200 rpm 163 lb·ft (221 N·m) @ 4800 rpm 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 171 hp (128 kW) @ 6200 rpm 167 lb·ft (226 N·m) @ 4800 rpm 2006–2008 Chevrolet HHR 175 hp (130 kW) 165 lb·ft (224 N·m) 2006–2008 Pontiac G5/Pursuit 171 hp (128 kW) @ 5800 rpm 167 lb·ft (226 N·m) @ 4500 rpm 2006–2009 Pontiac G6 169 hp (126 kW) @ 6300 rpm 162 lb·ft (220 N·m) @ 4500 rpm 2006–2009 Pontiac Solstice 173 hp (129 kW) @ 5800 rpm 164 lb·ft (222 N·m) @ 4500 rpm 2006–2009 Saturn Sky 173 hp (129 kW) @ 5800 rpm 166 lb·ft (225 N·m) @ 4800 rpm 2006–2007 Saturn Ion 175 hp (130 kW) @ 6200 rpm 164 lb·ft (222 N·m) @ 4800 rpm 2008–2009 Saturn Aura 169 hp (126 kW) 162 lb·ft (220 N·m) 2008–2012 Chevrolet Malibu 169 hp (126 kW) 162 lb·ft (220 N·m) 2008–2009 Saturn Vue 169 hp (126 kW) @ 6200 rpm 161 lb·ft (218 N·m) @ 5100 rpm The LE5 is also used in the following overseas models:
LAT

The LAT is the designation used for the 2.4 L LE5 when used in GM's mild hybrid vehicles.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2007–2009 Saturn Aura Green Line Hybrid 164 hp (122 kW) @ 6400 rpm 159 lb·ft (216 N·m) @ 5000 rpm 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid 170 hp (130 kW) @ 6600 rpm 162 lb·ft (220 N·m) @ 4200 rpm 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid 172 hp (128 kW) @ 6500 rpm 167 lb·ft (226 N·m) @ 4500 rpm 2008–2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid 164 hp (122 kW) @ 6400 rpm 159 lb·ft (216 N·m) @ 5000 rpm LE9

The LE9 is an E85 compatible version of the 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in)—LE5 Ecotec. Bore and stroke are 88 mm (3.5 in) and 98 mm (3.9 in) and has a compression ratio of 10.4:1, the same as the LE5.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2009–2011 Chevrolet HHR 172 hp (128 kW) @ 5800 rpm (gasoline) 167 lb·ft (226 N·m) @ 4500 rpm (gasoline) 176 hp (131 kW) @ 5800 rpm (E85) 170 lb·ft (230 N·m) @ 5000 rpm (E85) 2010–2012 Chevrolet Malibu (fleet only) 175 hp (130 kW) @ 5800 rpm (E85) 170 lb·ft (230 N·m) @ 5000 rpm (E85) LAF

The LAF is a direct injected 2.4 L. It uses technology based on GM’s other four-cylinder direct injection applications, but with unique features designed for its specific application. This includes an 11.4:1 compression ratio that helps build power, slightly dished pistons that increase combustion efficiency and injectors with an application-specific flow rate.[7] [8]
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2010–2011 Chevrolet Equinox
GMC Terrain 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm (gasoline) 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm (gasoline) 2010–2011 Buick LaCrosse 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2011 Buick Regal 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2011- Chevrolet Captiva 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm LEA

The LEA is similar to the LE9, with E85 capability and the same bore and stroke, but with a compression ratio of 11.2:1. It adds direct injection and electronic throttle control.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2012 Buick Regal 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2012 Buick Verano[9] 180 hp (134 kW) @ 6700 rpm 171 lb·ft (232 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2012 Chevrolet Equinox
GMC Terrain 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm LUK

The LUK is similar to the LAF, but adds the eAssist mild-hybrid system.
Year(s) Model Power Torque 2012 Buick LaCrosse 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2012 Buick Regal 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2013 Chevrolet Malibu ECO 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm 2014 Chevrolet Impala 182 hp (136 kW) @ 6700 rpm 172 lb·ft (233 N·m) @ 4900 rpm Ecotec Gen III

LCV

First appearing in the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu and 2013 Cadillac ATS, the 2.5 L Gen III block has been reworked to reduce engine noise and vibrations, while improving fuel economy and low-end torque.[10] [11] LCV is scheduled to replace the direct-injected 2.4 L throughout North American GM products within a year.[12] Engine production started in April 2012 at GM's Tonawanda, New York plant.
The new combustion system developed with GM's proprietary computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis software features a higher compression ratio which helps improve fuel efficiency and has improved knock resistance. The engine features dual overhead camshafts with continuously variable valve timing and increased-authority cam phasing (increased phase rotation angle), a high-pressure direct-injection fuel system, higher-flowing intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder head, electronic throttle control and pistons with jet-spray oil cooling. The engine redline in 7000 rpm.
The balance shafts are relocated from the cylinder block to oil pan module. The two-piece steel-aluminum oil pan features in-pan integrated oil-pump assembly driven by the balance shaft with a shorter inverted-tooth chain. Other improvements include inverted-tooth chain driving the camshaft, forged steel crankshaft, cast aluminum bedplate with main bearing cap inserts made of iron, high-pressure fuel rail with rubber-isolated assembly, acoustically-shielded plastic cover for the intake manifold, and structurally-enhanced aluminum camshaft cover and front cover. These improvements helped reduce noise intensity by 40% compared to the 2.4 L engine and change the noise signature into a higher frequency above 2,000 Hz. The engine also uses a variable-displacement oil pump and an actively controlled thermostat.
Displacement for the 2.5 L engine is 2,457 cc (149.9 cu in) with an 88.0 millimetres (3.46 in) bore and 100.8 millimetres (3.97 in) stroke. Compression ratio is 11.3:1, delivering 197 hp (147 kW) of power @ 6300 rpm (Malibu) or 150.69 kW (202.08 hp) of power @ 6300 rpm (ATS) and 257.85 N·m (190.18 lb·ft) of torque @ 4400 rpm.
The 2.5 L Ecotec is used in the following cars:

LTG

A 2.0 L (1998 cc) turbocharged direct injection version of the LCV Ecotec will be available in 2013 Cadillac ATS. Bore and stroke are both 88 millimetres (3.5 in), compression is 9.2:1, with 202.91 kW (275.88 PS; 272.11 hp) of power @5500 rpm and 260 lb·ft (350 N·m) of torque @1700-5500 rpm.
Holden

Holden made various Family II engines for GM India and GM Daewoo at its Melbourne plant. Variations include displacements from 1.8 L to 2.4 L. Unlike the Ecotec engines, the block is made of iron.
L34

This is the 2.0 L (1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)) engine for the North American market, dubbed D-TEC or E-TEC II by Daewoo. It has an 86 mm (3.4 in) bore and 86 mm (3.4 in) stroke. Power is 119 hp (89 kW) at 5400 rpm and torque is 126 lb·ft (171 N·m).
The engine has been used on following vehicles:
Other models

GM do Brasil

General Motors do Brasil specializes in older SOHC FlexPower (alcohol and gasoline powered) iron block engines.
  • X20XE—2.0 L SFI SOHC 8V FlexPower
  • X24XF—2.4 L MPFI SOHC 8V FlexPower
  • X24SFD—2.4 L SFI DOHC 16V FlexPower
In 2004, a 2.0 L MultiPower engine was made available for the taxi market which could use gasoline, alcohol and natural gas.
A 2.0 L FlexPower engine is available for the current Chevrolet Astra and Vectra. The 2006 Chevrolet Vectra also received a 2.4 L 16V FlexPower engine.
Ariel Atom

In late 2005 Brammo Motorsports struck a deal with GM for a Supercharged 2.0 L Ecotec for their Ariel Atom. The engine came in various ratings from 205 hp (153 kW) to 300 hp (220 kW). Jay Leno received the very first Atom for commercial sale in the US by Brammo.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
I Prefer Payne

Is that on boosted or NA engines? Blowby on a boosted engine is alot higher. If I have issues I'll make my own. For now I just popped that on to keep the dust out.
my completely stock engine did it, and without the PCV working properly, you will most likely get an oil leak somewhere else in the engine the same as mine did when the plastic piece broke the connected the rubber hose from the valve cover to the intake. do as you wish but i highly recommend not using a breather filter. catch cans are easily made, expecially if you know how to weld. its a simply DIYer project to keep oil out of your intake and intake mani.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #40

Quote: Originally Posted by payne4life
my completely stock engine did it, and without the PCV working properly, you will most likely get an oil leak somewhere else in the engine the same as mine did when the plastic piece broke the connected the rubber hose from the valve cover to the intake. do as you wish but i highly recommend not using a breather filter. catch cans are easily made, expecially if you know how to weld. its a simply DIYer project to keep oil out of your intake and intake mani.
Thanks, I'll add it to my to-do list.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #41
(Chaos)

bagged83 hay man any updates i know i pm'ed ya a while back since i was thinking of doing the swap on my chevette. i still haven't quite finished the s/c3800 swap on the dime yet sorry no real updates for ya, kind of lost minitruck motivation, hope it comes back soon thou. with the t5 tranny out of the 2.5s10 i was kind of confused when you were talking about the clutch and flywheel. did you use a cobalt one?? help me out here. and can you send a few pics of the modded bell housing to me.pm or email or a post is fine. i got a 2.2 motor out of the girlfriends 05 she spun a bearing cause she busted a hole in her oil-pan and seized it up. found her a replacement motor. so ive got a extra motor im looking at having to do rods and bearings anyways. ive been poking around and getting hp ideas boosted/na but i wanted to know more about the tranny mounting and wiring. i may go yank a stock loom out like you did so i can just get it running. this may be a dumb question but if i lower the compression with pistons/rods etc can it run N/A till i turbo it? cause i know ill need a mega squirt come that time. or should i just build it n/a and when i got the money use a thicker head gasket to drop compression? thoughts ideas opinions??? i got a friend that can laser cut me what ever i need(also a forum member). i was also planning on PP my head, my good friend and i were discussing using ITB and building a intake manifold and input ? problems i may run in to that you know of like can the stock ecu handle that kind of change?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #42
(Chaos)

dam im coming up on my 10 years on this account holy shit. this was the second account too cause way back in the day there was a server crash.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #43
eco-ten

you threw a bunch of questions at me all at once there buddy.... i think all the pics i have are up, as for the clutch the flywheel, pressure plate, and disc are all ecotec parts" cobalt" the throw out bearing is s10 and the pilot bearing is ford ranger. as for compression first off you dont have to lower it at all to turbo it, lots of guys are running stock 2.2 with a turbo or blower. it will depend on power goals. i would say unless your going for over 275hp i wouldent. if you were to before turboing it it could run but it would lose lots of power. building one n/a if you want something "fast" will never make you happy, you will spend way more money to build up a n/a eco and have less power then a mild turbo build. dont get me wrong here it can be done but just $$$$
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #44

I may have missed it, but how/who did the electrical? Is it stand-alone?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #45
eco-ten

Mine is a striped down gm harness and ecu that I did my self but you can go standalone
Old 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #46
LSX Jimmy

User is: Online

this is an impressive swap.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #47

Very nice work, you got the skill's.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #48

Do you know of anyone who makes a standalone?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #49

Hey Buckshot,
I'm in the middle of putting a solstice powerplant into my 2000 xtreme. Have you decided what you're going to do for a driveshaft in your s10?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #50
(Chaos)

you threw a bunch of questions at me all at once there buddy.... i think all the pics i have are up, as for the clutch the flywheel, pressure plate, and disc are all ecotec parts" cobalt" the throw out bearing is s10 and the pilot bearing is ford ranger. as for compression first off you dont have to lower it at all to turbo it, lots of guys are running stock 2.2 with a turbo or blower. it will depend on power goals. i would say unless your going for over 275hp i wouldent. if you were to before turboing it it could run but it would lose lots of power. building one n/a if you want something "fast" will never make you happy, you will spend way more money to build up a n/a eco and have less power then a mild turbo build. dont get me wrong here it can be done but just $$$$
i follow ya, the reason i was talking about compression is i have the motor.it came out the g/f car she busted her oilpan and ran it dry so the bearings are shot and rods got blued so i would need a bottom end,figured that would be the time to put in forged internals, for latter on down the build. I dont think i can afford a turbo build also and would like to have a little fun running na before i drop another large chunk on turbo parts not to mention a tune of sorts. i need to find a 2.5 s10 tranny and wanted to see some more pics of how you did mount that. i also dont have the wiring harness or ecu yet. her car was a 05 can i yank one out of any ecotec or would i be better off searching for a 05-07. im sure there are lots of cavi ecus in the junkyard just not many cobalts that havent been butchered up by the junkyards. to answer the other guys question MEGA SQUIRT look it up. but have some knowledge and deep pockets! id rather go your method and strip the wireing down and run what i need. i keep tossing the 2.5 ironduke mercruser crank 3.0 idea. but since i have the motor i can start to fab up mounts as soon as i can bolt a transmission to it and shoehorn it in. thats where (your pics would come in mighty handy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.