signs of a bad o2 sensor - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

signs of a bad o2 sensor

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
BTR

User is: OffLine
signs of a bad o2 sensor

can someone tell me a few of them. my truck is running kinda bad and someone told me it may be a bad o2 sensor

personally i think its coil packs

the truck is spitting and sputtering after it warms up for a couple minutes...mostly just when pulling out or accelerating but it has done it some when just driving normal...the problem has gotten worse in the last few days...i also have an exhaust leak would this have anything to do with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Negative 10

Re: signs of a bad o2 sensor

so its like backfiring kinda?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Negative 10

if you can get a code. the code for a bad sensor (cant remember which 02 sensor tho ) is PO135. thats what im truck is throwin. i just cant remember which one it is
Old 11-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
BTR

i did a diagnostic on it and it said had a crank shaft position sensor and both o2 sensors were bad...i changed the crank shaft senser (it was a nightmare) and nothing changed so i didnt know if the o2 sensors would make a difference

its kinda back fireing and more than anything it kinda shakes like its got a misfire or something
Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Negative 10

hmm well if it said that both of the 02 sensors where bad and nothing changed when you did the first thing. then why dont you change the 02 sensors
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
BTR

im just trying to make sure thats what it is before i go out and buy them...they arent cheap by any means and this time of the year money is tight...they are gonna run me around 140 if i remember right
Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
Forum Dictator

cs xtreme works at gm, im sure he'll give you a 10 or 15% off, PM and see what he says
Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
Forum Dictator

hmm i did a search on ebay, dont know how good it is but thats pretty cheap but may be too cheap of quality either

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NTK-N...spagenameZWD1V
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
Better post-em.

ive heard bd things about those ebay O2 sensors...(they are cheap and a crappy knockoff)

im soo glad my obd1 95 s10 uses a singl wire O2. it only has one and its only $20 for a bosh one
Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
BTR

ive got a friend that works in a parts store...not the one i went to in the first place...im sure he can get if for me cheaper than the other store said...and ive got a buddy that has a wrecked 98 just like mine but ex cab i may be able to get the sensors from....ill get it rollin in the next few days some how or another

thanks for the help guys
Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #11
Forum Dictator

hmm, i got single wire and cost bosch $60, ripoff

i figured those ebay were cheap, they still have bosch brand as well in their store
Old 11-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
S10 Frame Swapper

rockauto.com Cheap Denso up front and Standard's cheapest sensor in the rear. Both sensors work great. Change your plus, too. The best way to tell is watch your fuel mileage and your idle... if things get rough, and you start dropping mileage, it's time to change, whether you throw codes or not.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
Las Vegas Area

To be honest, I don't think it would be your O2 sensor. Reason being is that our trucks(not having a MAF sensor or even knock sensors) are designed to run in open loop all the time. The O2 sensors are there simply for emissions..as in the computer is looking for a difference between the front and the rear one. If it sees that the resistence and difference between the pre and post cat are where they should be, that means that the cat and the O2 are working, so you dont get a code. If there is an issue with one or it sees the exhaust stream to be identical(as in the cat is ineffective) it will throw a code.

On many cars, having a bad front O2 will cause it to default to open loop even when cruising..not exactly the best mileage. On our trucks, what is written in the tables is what it is. (based on load and MAP and IAT sensor volatge)

You may want to check the IAC and make sure it is doing its job. The coil packs/wires/plugs would be a possiblity as well. If you have never replaced your fuel filter, it wouldnt be the worst time either..they are typically neglected as much as anything.

CHRIS
Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
Buoyant

12-15 mpg, lol. on a serious note, that is what I was getting when mine went out.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
damned 4banger

Quote: Originally Posted by Buoyant
12-15 mpg, lol. on a serious note, that is what I was getting when mine went out.
well, i know mine are not bad yet... i do believe my cat is burning out though... i can rev it up really high, or run it down the strip (dont flame me, just having fun) and smell sulfur coming from the exhaust...

i do however average 20mpg in the city/28 on the highway
Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #16
Oh shit....

its the TPS. bet ya
Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
Buoyant

Quote: Originally Posted by Noremac
well, i know mine are not bad yet... i do believe my cat is burning out though... i can rev it up really high, or run it down the strip (dont flame me, just having fun) and smell sulfur coming from the exhaust...

i do however average 20mpg in the city/28 on the highway
one of mine went out and then the other one went out right after that and that is why is was getting the 12 - 15. now lemme tell ya, the truck had some balls at that point though.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #18
BTR

ended up having a plug on my wiring harness that wasnt getting a good connection lol

changed
both o2 sensors
crankshaft position sensor
plugs
plug wires
fuel filter
oil
put new coils on no difference so i took them back to help pay for the new o2 sensors

im out a bunch of cash and a friend of mine fixed my truck by leaning against the harness when we were checking a throttle positioning sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.