Service Engine Soon light coming on. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Service Engine Soon light coming on.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #1

Service Engine Soon light coming on.

My SES light comes on everytime ive been driving on the freeway for a long time. Any ideas of what could be causing this? Doesnt happen when Im just cruising around town. Just replaced oxygen sensor before the CAT. Oxygen sensor after the CAT is missing, has been since i bought it, I figure it is probably that but I wanna make sure. All other sensors seem to be in good working condition. The light stays on until I shut my truck off and then stays off until I get on the freeway again later.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

Re: Service Engine Soon light coming on.

pull the code and see what it tells you to look at.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by Bobthebiker
pull the code and see what it tells you to look at.
I dont have a code puller, and its a 95, I think the built in code pullers started in 97.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
LS3 - T56 coming SOON !

User is: Online

it will be smog/cat related
Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by S10dude
it will be smog/cat related
So my CAT is proabably going out? Or could it just be the sensor?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #6

User is: OffLine

lol...well my ses comes on when i get on the freeway sometimes too....but it goes off after a while...well..more like 5 mins or so then its good...but im not sure wat your truck is thinkin...maybe from wen it overheated?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by redneck_pride
lol...well my ses comes on when i get on the freeway sometimes too....but it goes off after a while...well..more like 5 mins or so then its good...but im not sure wat your truck is thinkin...maybe from wen it overheated?
Nah it was doing it before it overheated. I thought the problem was gone but sure enough it came on again today. Its probably just cause that stupid sensor is gone. I dont know what the owners before me did to it but they definitely didnt put it back. Maybe ill by a code puller soon and see what it is exactly. I just hope its not my CAT. How much are CATs for these things?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #8

i actually dont know...i took my cat off,,,it was split in half and was all dumb...so i had no cat..to stock muffler...it sounded good..now the stock muffler is all sorts of messed up..lol..ive never really looked into gettin another one for mine...improves sound, and a bit of power without one
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #9

You can pull codes on a '81 Chevy... Take it to Autozone or any shop or something, but please JUST PULL THE CODE!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #10

My light comes on the same as yours (highways) and I have a brand new CAT on mine. ($200 installed CDN) So I doubt it's your CAT.

Last edited by johndb; 12-30-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #11

when my ses light came on, i got it checked and it was secondary air injection system. that lil fan/blower thing down there would stop working every once in a while. I'd undo the battery for about half a hour and re-connect the battery terminal and my light would stay off for a few months. Maybe do that with the battery connection to reset the computer, and see if the light comes back on?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by 300k
You can pull codes on a '81 Chevy... Take it to Autozone or any shop or something, but please JUST PULL THE CODE!!!
I think you dont understand that I was saying that the BUILT IN code pullers werent until about 97.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by johndb
My light comes on the same as yours (highways) and I have a brand new CAT on mine. ($200 installed CDN) So I doubt it's your CAT.
Thanks. Must be the missing o2 sensor after the CAT then.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #14
Better post-em.

dont belive the 95 has a rear o2 sensor. mine doesnt and never has anyways...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #15
4 wheels aren't as fun

Quote: Originally Posted by Qaiphyx
I think you dont understand that I was saying that the BUILT IN code pullers werent until about 97.
to my knowledge no cars have a "built in" code reader.
I think you are confused as to what we are talking about.

all cars even like mentioned a 81. stores trouble codes. before OBDII in 1996, the codes were model specific.
but now codes are pretty much all standard. there are some that are model specific but they depend on the system in use. such as a transmission trouble code etc.

your truck will have a code stored in it. my guess since you said there is a oxygen sensor missing (if it ever had one, there should be a plug hanging there) that would be the problem.
typically in my experience of older cars when the light would come on mainly on longer trips or on the highway was the EGR valve causing it.

but you will never know unless you get someone to pull the trouble code.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer
to my knowledge no cars have a "built in" code reader.
I think you are confused as to what we are talking about.

all cars even like mentioned a 81. stores trouble codes. before OBDII in 1996, the codes were model specific.
but now codes are pretty much all standard. there are some that are model specific but they depend on the system in use. such as a transmission trouble code etc.

your truck will have a code stored in it. my guess since you said there is a oxygen sensor missing (if it ever had one, there should be a plug hanging there) that would be the problem.
typically in my experience of older cars when the light would come on mainly on longer trips or on the highway was the EGR valve causing it.

but you will never know unless you get someone to pull the trouble code.

I guess is what I meant to say is that after 97 you dont need a code puller, you can just use your ignition switch to turn on a blinking code system. Thats what I was refering to. I know that I can pull a code from my truck. I didnt know it stored it though. Ill just run to Checker and have them do it today.

Yah there may not be an o2 sensor there cause i looked all over for the wire and there wasnt one.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #17

Well the Checker we have down here doesnt pull codes and there is no autozone. Im assuming it has something to do with the EGR then since I dont even have a 2nd o2 sensor. If I remember correctly there maybe be a cracked EGR line, its one of the really small ones. I didnt think they would be significant enough to turn on the SES light though. I want to clean out my entire air intake too so maybe this will be a good time to do that and check and make sure everything is in good working order.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
no longer has a 95

Quote: Originally Posted by Qaiphyx
I guess is what I meant to say is that after 97 you dont need a code puller, you can just use your ignition switch to turn on a blinking code system. Thats what I was refering to. I know that I can pull a code from my truck. I didnt know it stored it though. Ill just run to Checker and have them do it today.

Yah there may not be an o2 sensor there cause i looked all over for the wire and there wasnt one.
what car is that that has a built in puller? everything obdII you need a code reader or a scan tool. gm obd I you just need a jumper or paper clip.

does your truck have a 12 pin obd connector or a 16 pin. if you have a 12 pin, you just jump 2 terminals and it will flash out the codes

and its def not the cat, as obd1 vehicles do not have a post cat o2 sensor.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote: Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker
what car is that that has a built in puller? everything obdII you need a code reader or a scan tool. gm obd I you just need a jumper or paper clip.

does your truck have a 12 pin obd connector or a 16 pin. if you have a 12 pin, you just jump 2 terminals and it will flash out the codes

and its def not the cat, as obd1 vehicles do not have a post cat o2 sensor.

It must be and OBDI cause it doesnt have a secondary o2 sensor. How do I get it to flash out the code?

its a 95.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #20

Ok I just pulled the code myself and its a Code 32 for an OBD II. EGR Valve. Can I just clean it out or something or will it most likely need to be replaced?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #21
Forum Dictator

OBDII aka 96+ is pulled with Scanner

OBDI are used with OBDI scanner or paper clip.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
Forum Dictator

Clean out the egr first, disconnect battery for 20min, if still occur then replace it.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by What?
OBDII aka 96+ is pulled with Scanner

OBDI are used with OBDI scanner or paper clip.
I guess im confused about OBDI and OBDII, the OBD I & II have diffferent scanner connectors. one with 6 connections and 2 rows(OBD I), and one with 10 connections and 2 rows(OBDII) Mine has 10. Or is this information incorrect?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
4 wheels aren't as fun

obd I is the one where you jump the connectors with a paper clip etc and the check engine light will flash a certain amount of times for the code. this system has been in use since the early 80's until 1996 when it was outdated and done away with by fedral law I think. because it wasn't standardized.

there were some cars and trucks with obd 1.5 this was from 1994-1995. so you could very well have that. it's explained in my link below.

obd II requires a scan tool. and doesn't flash the check engine light. used since 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Last edited by serpentracer; 12-31-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #25

OBD 1 Connector

OBD 2 Connector

Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
NOT AN S10

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
dont belive the 95 has a rear o2 sensor. mine doesnt and never has anyways...
you're right, my 95 didn't have a rear o2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.