S10 98 - no Idle - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

S10 98 - no Idle

Hi everyone

I've got no more idle on my truck, There's 270,000 km, all the engine is ok but don't have any idle anymore. I checked the IAC valve, removed it and cleaned it but still don't have any idle, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Re: S10 98 - no Idle

Any DTC's? Done a fuel pressure and engine vacuum check?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
Any DTC's? Done a fuel pressure and engine vacuum check?
Hi Oldeer

DTC?

Engine vacuum check? What do I need to do that?

post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 09:45 PM

Garage

battery loose?

I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 AM

He's right, it wouldn't hurt to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.
Diagnostic Trouble Code. If your service engine light is on that means that a DTC has been set. You need a cheap scanner to read engine codes.
All you need to check engine vacuum is a vacuum gauge. Just unplug the vacuum line running to your heater controls off the engine and plug the gauge into the line. Some even have a tee in them depending on accessories. Gauge should read 16-20 inches at idle and steady. If you have to hold it slightly above idle to keep it running the numbers will go down a bit, but still be steady. I'm looking for a vacuum leak here. That will kill an engine at idle, but should also set a bunch of DTC's. Check to be sure all hoses off the engine aren't off, loose or cracked. I often forget the one on the back of the air duct above the throttle body on 4.3's. That one isn't a vacuum hose but will throw the ecm in to convulsions because a bunch of air is entering after the MAF.
Look right behind the ABS module at the vacuum lines in that area. Those hoses tend to crack and come loose. Especially at the mileage yours has.
Cleaning the IAC won't help if it's electronics took a dump, but they are usually pretty reliable.
There are many possibilities for your problem, but this should get you started. Is yours a 4 or 6?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeiT View Post
battery loose?
It's the first thing I have checked, there's was rust at the end of the ground cable, cleaned it and the problem not solved.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
He's right, it wouldn't hurt to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.
Diagnostic Trouble Code. If your service engine light is on that means that a DTC has been set. You need a cheap scanner to read engine codes.
All you need to check engine vacuum is a vacuum gauge. Just unplug the vacuum line running to your heater controls off the engine and plug the gauge into the line. Some even have a tee in them depending on accessories. Gauge should read 16-20 inches at idle and steady. If you have to hold it slightly above idle to keep it running the numbers will go down a bit, but still be steady. I'm looking for a vacuum leak here. That will kill an engine at idle, but should also set a bunch of DTC's. Check to be sure all hoses off the engine aren't off, loose or cracked. I often forget the one on the back of the air duct above the throttle body on 4.3's. That one isn't a vacuum hose but will throw the ecm in to convulsions because a bunch of air is entering after the MAF.
Look right behind the ABS module at the vacuum lines in that area. Those hoses tend to crack and come loose. Especially at the mileage yours has.
Cleaning the IAC won't help if it's electronics took a dump, but they are usually pretty reliable.
There are many possibilities for your problem, but this should get you started. Is yours a 4 or 6?
I have ordered a new IAC valve, I'm gonna change it and look to buy a scanner.

Thank you folks. I'll come back later to let you feed back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page