P0141: bank 1 sensor 2 problem... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

P0141: bank 1 sensor 2 problem...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
P0141: bank 1 sensor 2 problem...

hello everyone.

i have this P0141 code. i know this is the O2 sensor after the cat if i am correct. my concern is will this affect gas mileage, damage the engine in any way, or do anything bad to my truck? truck drives fine btw but i am just concerned. i want to use it but i don't want to damage anything or cause some other serious stuff.

thanks!
97 S10
2.2 L manual
101,000 miles
CAI [chome intake]
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Zr2.2

Re: P0141: bank 1 sensor 2 problem...

Quote: Originally Posted by kmomotaro
hello everyone.

i have this P0141 code. i know this is the O2 sensor after the cat if i am correct. my concern is will this affect gas mileage, damage the engine in any way, or do anything bad to my truck? truck drives fine btw but i am just concerned. i want to use it but i don't want to damage anything or cause some other serious stuff.

thanks!
97 S10
2.2 L manual
101,000 miles
CAI [chome intake]
Other then annoying you with the service engine light, there will be no negative effects from that code. It is the heating element in the o2 sensor is going bad or is bad. The heating element warms up the sensor when you first start the vehicle so that it can get a reading to the computer sooner. I have had the same code pop up since last fall when I had to drive threw a huge water hole on a trail. I still continue to get an average of around 20mpg in town and 24-25 on the highway. Note that the mileage is a bit lower then the average 2.2 because I am running big tires.

Here's the code information:
Trouble Code: P0141 (2.2L L4 VIN 4 Std)
HO2S-12 (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction

Print this code data

Number of Trips to Set Code: 2
OBD II Monitor Type: CCM Details
Indicators: MIL DetailsTrouble Code Conditions:
DTC P0105-P0108, P0112-P0118, P0122, P0123, P0171, P0201-P0204, P0301-P0304, P0335, P0440-P0446, P0506, P0507, P0601, P0602 and P1441 not set, ECT and IAT sensors below 113ºF and within 45ºF at startup, fuel level over 10%, HO2S signal from 395-495 mv, an

Possible Causes:
  • HO2S heater ground circuit is open or has high resistance
  • HO2S heater power circuit is open (test O2S fuse in fuse block)
  • HO2S heater element is damaged or has failed
  • PCM has failed
  • TSB 01-06-04-003 contains a repair procedure for this code
Troubleshooting:1998 Chevrolet S-10, 2.2L
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #3

Links are dead below and......
Print this code data

Number of Trips to Set Code: 2
OBD II Monitor Type: CCM Details

Indicators: MIL DetailsThis is a TSB for a cavalier and not an S10 below.
  • TSB 01-06-04-003 contains a repair procedure for this code
Troubleshooting:1998 Chevrolet S-10, 2.2L[/QUOTE]

I took the liberty of checking into this yesterday since I have had this issue forever now. Made a trip to the GM dealer to talk with parts guy about the TSB 01-06-04-003 and it pulls up for cavaliers but not S10. He then told me to go to service and asked them about the code with the make and model of truck, which I did. Service tells me the same thing about the TSB however he then just looked up my specific truck model,etc.... and the code number it puts out (P0141) and His info tells him that it is either a leak in the exhaust or intake , that a smoke test is what they perform at the dealer to detect the leak..... putting this up here for the record and for future searches. Not sure what the cavalier tsb fix said (not really worried since my truck is an S10 and not a cavalier) Guess i will be adding this to the ta do list sometime here.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #4

I had a similar failure on my 2002 S10, 2.2L. The code was P0141, heater circuit in bank 1, sensor 2. That's the one downstream from the catalytic converter. I replaced the O2 sensor, had the code cleared and drove back and forth to work for 3-days. My round trip to work is almost 100 miles. Thinking that the problem was fixed, I drove from work directly to the emissions testing facility. When I pulled in, I noticed that the check engine light had come back on. I had the codes scanned again, this time it was showing a P0141 (same as before), a P1137 and another P0141, in that order. When I crawled under the truck, I noticed that the pigtail coming off the new O2 sensor was frayed and a couple of the wires where worn in 2. As it turns out, the pigtail on the new sensor was a bit longer than the original, long enough that it rubbed against the drive shaft. AutoZone was kind enough to consider that the sensor was under warranty, even though it was my screwup, and swapped it out with another. After disconnecting the negative battery cable, I installed the new one. Then, and this is important, I bunched up the extra pigtail length and zip tied it to prevent it from rubbing. After reconnecting the negative battery cable, the CES light was off. My hope is that someone else will read and avoid this annoyance. Worse case scenario would have been that the damage to the new sensor would not have been covered by the warranty and I'd be out another $70.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

If someone told me that code P0141 was an intake leak or and exhaust leak, I would immediately know they are a bumbling idiot. Then furthermore if they were going to do an evaporative smoke test for an intake leak or an exhaust leak, I would know they are completely clue-less and have no business being in the car business.
Stay away from that man, he does not understand what you are talking about.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Getting back to Boosting

Quote: Originally Posted by Johnniespeed
If someone told me that code P0141 was an intake leak or and exhaust leak, I would immediately know they are a bumbling idiot. Then furthermore if they were going to do an evaporative smoke test for an intake leak or an exhaust leak, I would know they are completely clue-less and have no business being in the car business.
Stay away from that man, he does not understand what you are talking about.
Please explain why?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Big Huckin' Chicken

I had this code, replaced my downstream O2 sensor, and after 1,500Km the code is back. Wiring is fine and the connector is all the way plugged in. Any ideas?

This is on my 2.2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.