Oil pressure low on 2001 2.2L - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Oil pressure low on 2001 2.2L

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

Oil pressure low on 2001 2.2L

Well I fixed my first issue by replacing my fuel filter. The engine started up and runs. I took it out to pickup a tool and I noticed the check gauges light on. I scanned the gauges and found the oil pressure guage was at 0. I was able to drive about a block to a K-mart parking lot and check the oil level. It looked ok, maybe half a quart low. I put some oil in.

I started the engine and drove around but the guage kept reading really low, It seems to not go above 20, and sits around the second mark from the bottom.

Any ideas on how to check if the sensor is bad? Or how to confirm if my oil pump is really gone? I was able to drive it about 20 miles after this and it didn't stall out or anything. The engine temp stayed under 210.

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #2

Re: Oil pressure low on 2001 2.2L

remove the oil pressure sending unit on the right side of your engine, and install a mechanical gauge to determine your REAL oil pressure, crossreference with what a manual says is spec for your motor.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
got me some 20s

User is: OffLine

mine said check gauges for about a year and would read 20 psi going down the interstate..i finally took out the crappy oil sending unit i got from oreillys and put an ac delco unit in..it now reads 60 on the interstate and about 30 at idle. i would definitely do like bobthebiker said and install a mechanical gauge temporarily to see if thats the problem
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #4

Mine reads pegged anytime theres actually pressure, so clearly, for me, the factory gauge=no go. its going to get cut out, and a mechanical one installed shortly here if I get a chance.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
Better post-em.

mine reads extremely high when its cold like 80. once it warms up its like 20-30 idle and 60+ on interstate
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by rockyroad217
mine said check gauges for about a year and would read 20 psi going down the interstate..i finally took out the crappy oil sending unit i got from oreillys and put an ac delco unit in..it now reads 60 on the interstate and about 30 at idle. i would definitely do like bobthebiker said and install a mechanical gauge temporarily to see if thats the problem
Are those oil pressure sending units hard to replace? It looks like its on the top side of the engine opposite the oil filter, is that right?

What about changing the oil pan, can you do it without removing the engine? I have a leak which I think is around the rim of the oil pan.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Better post-em.

Quote: Originally Posted by ldyson01
Are those oil pressure sending units hard to replace? It looks like its on the top side of the engine opposite the oil filter, is that right?

What about changing the oil pan, can you do it without removing the engine? I have a leak which I think is around the rim of the oil pan.
have u tried just snugging up the oil pan bolts? gasket is prolly worn so tightening them a little may stop that.

yea where is the oil psi sender? i may take mine out and see if its gunked up...oil shouldnt run out will it?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
94 S10 2.2 Power House

This is how mine is it reads around 60 when driving and around 30 when idling is that normal for it to be around 30 when idling.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
have u tried just snugging up the oil pan bolts? gasket is prolly worn so tightening them a little may stop that.
I haven't tried that, but when I noticed a leak in the oil pan for my Saturn, the techs said you would be better off to replace it, since tightening the bolts would just warp the pan instead of giving it the correct torque. So I was just going to see about getting a new oil pan. Although it looking at it on the S-10 it looks like the frame runs underneath it, and didn't know if you could change it without removing the engine.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #10

For the S10, it's EASIEST to remove the motor to change the oil pan gasket honestly. theres a crossmember of the frame with that skidplate that runs across it that obscures the front of the pan from reach. now thats not to say one couldnt get it if they just unbolt the motor and lift it a few inches or so, which I suppose you could.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
got me some 20s

the oil pressure sending unit is on the passenger side of the motor beside the oil filter, the easiest way to get to it is through the passenger side wheel well. you will need a special socket to get it out though..and if the engine isn't warm, you shouldn't have any problem with oil leaking out
Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #12
Better post-em.

the oil pressure sending unit is on the passenger side of the motor beside the oil filter, the easiest way to get to it is through the passenger side wheel well. you will need a special socket to get it out though..and if the engine isn't warm, you shouldn't have any problem with oil leaking out
alright cool. does a sensor with some gunk on it explain my 80psi at cold start up and the needle doesnt move to normal values until the engine is warm?

can i "rent" a oil psi sensor socket from auto parts stores?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #13

oil reads higer when cold that's normal, i think mine is the same.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Better post-em.

well my guage doesnt move at all, when its partially warm it wiggles when i rev it and once its fully warm it works normally and responds quickly when i rev it.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #15

Thats the exact same way my gauge works. It dont start reading normal til she is completely warmed up. Im pretty sure its suppose to work that way, mine has for the whole two years i have owned her and i might add, i have had no mechanical mishaps with my truck sitting at 123k miles right now
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Better post-em.

alright ill just leave it alone i knew it would be higher when its cold because you need more force to push cold oil thru small holes. but i thought it would still move with engine rpm
Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #17
SSRT-S10

If oil pump is bad.., after it running for more than 8-15 mins..,(depending on what temp yur thermostat is..) you will hear the lifters ticking like crazy...(if cold and it starts fine.., makes no weird sounds..., then after warming up it makes all kinds of racket )
IF this not the issue or you dont hear anything like the above going on..., try the #2

#2 install sending unit using a oil sending unit socket...(look at yours to find out if it a tall unit or a short unit.. > each one takes it own special oil socket to remove)
IF not this.., goto #3

#3 if new unit installed..., and no fix the issue..., check fire to wires to sending unit... (if no fire there..., suspect wiring issue) if fire there.., then suspect gauge in dash...
-
4) oil gauge with wire unhooked should read zero.... When u ground wire.., the guage should go to the max...
5) if sending unit is totally covered in oil and as well wire connector is too..., clean the wire connector with carb cleaner and blow it dry with compressed air or hair dryer...(either works well..just use lowest heat on hair dryer..)
If definite oil on sending unit is above the unit and lots more down below it.., replace sending unit.
6) if all of the above fails..., go out and get a manual gauge u hook a plastic line too. bolt guage to bottom of dash where u can see it and drive the truck and watch the oil pressue.

as for tools.., all can be rented from orielys,advance,autozone and many other parts houses if you have no tools to work with. Advance can probably sell u the socket need for i guess about 8-10 bucks (sending unit socket).

Hope this helps...
Allen
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #18

Moved post to different thread.

Last edited by Clapps1775; 10-09-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #19

ok ive got a big prob with my 01 2.2 i had to replace the engine mounts about a month ago due to the crossmember punctured a hole in my oil filter so i replaced it now it has sprung an even bigger leak what ever it is its got pressure on it cuz i can put a quart of oil in and 10mi down the road its gone and oil pressure is gone
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
certified grease monkey

Quote: Originally Posted by spectre
ok ive got a big prob with my 01 2.2 i had to replace the engine mounts about a month ago due to the crossmember punctured a hole in my oil filter so i replaced it now it has sprung an even bigger leak what ever it is its got pressure on it cuz i can put a quart of oil in and 10mi down the road its gone and oil pressure is gone
did you double gasket the filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.